silhouette sailings

retiredf

does anyone know why the sailings to South AMERICA ON DEC.6,DEC20 AND JAN.3 2021 SHOW NO CABINS AVIABLE  EXCEOTFOR RETRAT SUITES,I DOUBT ALL OTHER CABINS ARE SOLD OUT ON 3 SAILING DATES ?COULD THER BE PLANNING TO CANCEL THE CRUISES?

1 minute ago, retiredf said:

does anyone know why the sailings to South AMERICA ON DEC.6,DEC20 AND JAN.3 2021 SHOW NO CABINS AVIABLE  EXCEOTFOR RETRAT SUITES,I DOUBT ALL OTHER CABINS ARE SOLD OUT ON 3 SAILING DATES ?COULD THER BE PLANNING TO CANCEL THE CRUISES?

several threads on this issue - it appears to be common for a lot of cruises at the moment - even that far out - a lot of people saying its an indication of cancellation - personally im not convinced and think its hopefully to do with limiting numbers on cruises which may still sail

Could be limiting numbers, in some instances it was a precursor to cancellation.

As I’m sure you are aware there are parts of South America that are hard hit by the virus, so not necessarily a place for ships to head.  
Last time I checked Argentina was not allowing international flights until September ( that could be extended).  Chile’s ports are closed to cruise ships & Uruguay borders are close, to name a few of the regular countries on a SA itinerary.

IMO currently just too much uncertainty to figure out if a cruise (s) will be cancelled.

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

It means these cruises will be cancelled. Even when South America does open up, it will be several years before tourists should consider visiting. Yes I do have it on good authority. 

I am on one of these sailings, how certain are you of cancellation and where did you get your information from.

Celebrity are insisting they are going ahead, but then again they're communications have room for improvement. 

1 hour ago, kittywife77 said:

I am on one of these sailings, how certain are you of cancellation and where did you get your information from.

Celebrity are insisting they are going ahead, but then again they're communications have room for improvement. 

You ask where do I get my information from, I assume you mean about South America,  I have several friends who live in Rio, Buenos Aires, Santiago. My friends tell me that if tourists thought crime was bad before, it is an epidemic now, along with the epidemic. Really easy to understand why, desperate people, do desperate things. The other is the instability of government and finance, especially in Brazil and Argentina.

I can only tell you my opinion based on what others that live there tell me and they tell me it is really not comprehendible why anyone would want to visit ports where people are angry and acting out. Not unlike right here at home, in the big cities. I would not like to be a tourist right now, in many cities of the good old USA, no need to mention them, we see it all on the news. 

So in short and not so short, it is not only Covid that is keeping tourists away in many places of  the world. 

But seems the Carib is still a good bet, when we can sail. No need for tours. Just a beach or just stay on the ship.  

1 minute ago, jonthomas said:

You ask where do I get my information from, I assume you mean about South America,  I have several friends who live in Rio, Buenos Aires, Santiago. My friends tell me that if tourists thought crime was bad before, it is an epidemic now, along with the epidemic. Really easy to understand why, desperate people, do desperate things. The other is the instability of government and finance, especially in Brazil and Argentina.

I can only tell you my opinion based on what others that live there tell me and they tell me it is really not comprehendible why anyone would want to visit ports where people are angry and acting out. Not unlike right here at home, in the big cities. I would not like to be a tourist right now, in many cities of the good old USA, no need to mention them, we see it all on the news. 

So in short and not so short, it is not only Covid that is keeping tourists away in many places of  the world. 

But seems the Carib is still a good bet, when we can sail. No need for tours. Just a beach or just stay on the ship.  

I don't see it on the news. I'm not US based.

I was asking where you have it on good authority that these cruises will be cancelled?

I am referring to South America and yes they will be cancelled. South America is not open to cruises. But even if it was, my point is why would you want to go there in the next 18 months. With unstable government, crime, extreme poverty, financial meltdowns. Ok I think I have overstated my case no need to keep hammering the nail. 

2 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I am referring to South America and yes they will be cancelled. South America is not open to cruises. But even if it was, my point is why would you want to go there in the next 18 months. With unstable government, crime, extreme poverty, financial meltdowns. Ok I think I have overstated my case no need to keep hammering the nail. 

Perhaps, one has a sense of adventure and isn't too bothered about toting a camera and ostentatious jewellery around like a sitting duck?

Live a little. 

Not sure what "live a little" means, if you are with those who are barely living. Unless it is exactly that, to see how others struggle and suffer. A new kind of tourism. Or maybe you would go to volunteer and help the less fortunate, but then you would not be on a cruise. I think I am done explaining this. 

Edited by jonthomas

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Yup.. in the US, many cities,  have the unfortunate curses of Covid and  increasing crime.  Would not travel there to catch a cruise or take a vacation  Brazil reports seem neg on safety.  Hope things improve...but seems cancellation may happen anyhow..all depends!

9 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Not sure what "live a little" means, if you are with those who are barely living. Unless it is exactly that, to see how others struggle and suffer. A new kind of tourism. Or maybe you would go to volunteer and help the less fortunate, but then you would not be on a cruise. I think I am done explaining this. 

Could you be less patronising please.

Also, don't assume anything about how and why people cruise and their humanitarian stances.

If you have pertinent information on Celebrity do let us know.

14 hours ago, jonthomas said:

your earlier post actually implied that you had it on good authority that these sailing were to be cancelled - someone was just asking what your source for this information was? now you seem to be saying  its just that you have it on good authority that no one will want to travel there which you can not possibly be sure of - in any way !

• Like 3

I'm sorry if Covid and conditions in South America ultimately resulting your South American cruised being cancelled.  However if they do, I hope Celebrity finds a way to integrate the Silhouette into their future Caribbean sailings.  We were on the ship for one of the sailings after the dry dock and the Revolution was done very nicely on the Silhouette.  I hope we get a chance to sail on her again in the near future. 🤞

We have a booked cruise from December 6th. At the end of August we need to make the final payment. However we are thinking to cancel our travel becuse of the problems in Argentina and Chile and difficalties with international flights. We thourt about the land travel but it also seems impossible. We have a FCC transferred from the cancelled March Caribbean cruise. May be somebody knows what happens if we cancel the December cruise before the final payment. We have a deposit + FCC.

I am on the Dec 20 and Jan 4 sailings.  If they go, and I'm allowed to travel from a country where COVID is among the worst in the world, and has a corrupt government, crime, extreme poverty, and financial meltdowns, then I will do so.  Frankly, I wouldn't go to the Caribbean if they gave me a free cruise.  Not my thing.

Edited by wolfie11