July sale

janecambridge

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I literally fear for my life as I do not have a death wish - I don't consider that fear mongering. 

Can't speak for everyone.

What an awful way to live your life. I feel sorry for you., Paul. You got some good trips in while you could. You can look at your cruise photos for memories as it doesn't look like you will ever be able to cruise again.

"Although this progress is encouraging, caution is warranted about humanity’s ability to completely end the pandemic by eradicating COVID-19, i.e., reducing global incidence of COVID-19 to zero so that there will be no new cases even in the absence of preventive measures.

So far, humanity has only eradicated one human infectious disease comparable to COVID-19 in its broad geographic distribution: smallpox. "

https://www.gavi.org/covid19

• Like 1

COVID doesn't need to be eradicated like smallpox - it only needs to be manageable. If the vaccine gives similar (or better) protection to the flu vaccine or the treatments are curative or at least as good as for HIV, the risk is manageable.

We don't know what the future holds but I believe that there will be better days ahead one way or another and then I am prepared to travel again - just not at the present.

If none of this will happen, then we'll be happy with the rich life of travel that we were fortunate to live. We have visited about 165 of the 193 (or so) countries recognized by UN - most of them several times.

How could we complain? There are other things in life to do than cruising and it's not like we could have traveled for ever even in the absence of COVID.

As you get older, things change and you'd better accept those changes and live accordingly. People my age have heart attacks, strokes, dementia, etc and just move on. It's not that much different from COVID, at least at present - it limits your choices.

Please don't feel sorry for me.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 5

Susisan.  That is a shocking and hateful post.  I'd say you should be ashamed, but I don't think that's possible. Your situation is NOT the only scenario on this board.

That's not "an awful way to live life" it's a RESPONSIBLE outlook for his situation. 

For those of us with co-morbidities, the likelihood of either dying or being left so compromised you wish you were dead is VERY REAL. If Paul feels the need to wait until such time as a vaccine makes exposure to Corvid-19 less likely to result in a very bad outcome, then that's his right.  I too, though I have several cruises booked for next year, will not be able to travel without an effective vaccine.  I do NOT understand why that is so hard for some people to comprehend.  It doesn't make someone afraid, it's the hallmark of a mature outlook. 

Your post was just evil.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

Susisan.  That is a shocking and hateful post.  I'd say you should be ashamed, but I don't think that's possible. Your situation is NOT the only scenario on this board.

That's not "an awful way to live life" it's a RESPONSIBLE outlook for his situation. 

For those of us with co-morbidities, the likelihood of either dying or being left so compromised you wish you were dead is VERY REAL. If Paul feels the need to wait until such time as a vaccine makes exposure to Corvid-19 less likely to result in a very bad outcome, then that's his right.  I too, though I have several cruises booked for next year, will not be able to travel without an effective vaccine.  I do NOT understand why that is so hard for some people to comprehend.  It doesn't make someone afraid, it's the hallmark of a mature outlook. 

Your post was just evil.

Well said. Everyone is fighting a different fight. How people deal with Covid-19, their health and cruising is their own choice. You have to do what you feels right for you and your health. 

• Like 2

In early February (prior to Covid-19 being on a lot of people's radar) we booked our first Oceania cruise for June, 2021. In May I noticed there was a sale and the price for our cabin was $1050/person cheaper. A lot of times price reductions only apply for new bookings, but I sent Oceania an email about the new prices. I got an acknowledgement that they had received my email and would get back to me, which usually happens within 48-72 hours with most travel companies. I was shocked when 15 minutes later I had a new invoice for the discounted prices! So far impressed with Oceania, but next June is a long ways off and a lot can happen between now and then. Will have to see what the situation is when it is closer to final payment time.

It will be a busy year next year, as it looks like we will be moving 2 additional trips from this year to next (one has already been moved to next April), but are awaiting official cancellation of those 2 trips. Could be that some or all will get pushed to 2022 if the virus is still out-of-control.

• Like 1

"Fear" has several definitions. While I'm not afraid of COVID, I do fear it, meaning I have a strong respect for the havoc it can cause. Frustrated that we've been unable to travel as planned, especially with a shortened window of opportunity due to husband's early-onset Alzheimer's, but will not cruise until at least a year from now. If effective vaccine is rolled out or better treatment is developed before that, then could go earlier. In the meantime, looking forward to Tahiti to LA 4/22! (Also looking at Crystal Danube cruise 12/21)