Sydney Australia Singapore ... When, Where, Good Idea?

poffles

I am looking for thoughts on doing a cruise from/to Sydney Australia to/from Singapore or some other variation that might makes sense.  Asking for others experience on this.  Is this a good cruise to consider, any itinerary suggestion with regard to direction one should take, or what area not to miss/avoid, what time of year makes most sense, is there a cruise line that might be better than others for this area?

I have sailed 10 cruises, different cruise lines but mostly Celebrity lately.  While I'm not a cruise newbie, my cruises have all been Caribbean so my geographical experience is very limited so I am reaching out to others that can offer insight.  I am googling of course but it will only offer so much insight so thought I would throw this out to the experts here.

Oh and I am not looking to the immediate future,  I am planning a bit ahead where the 'exact itineraries would not even be out yet but wanted to get an idea of what I should consider in general.

Any insight is welcome!!!

Suggest checking out segments of World Cruises that often visit Australia and then SE Asia. You can also check re-positioning cruises of ships moving between Alaska and Australia, as some of then transit the N Pacific then up/down the Asian coast rather than the S Pacific route.

You may also find some pre or post drydockings, as Singapore yards are in demand for tonnage based in the Australia market.

With respect to the cruise line and itinerary, that is very much personal preference. Our last cruise in this region was with Viking Ocean and between Sydney and Singapore we were scheduled to visit a number of Australian ports, number of Indonesian ports, Brunei, Philippines, China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia.

We loved this itinerary and would do it again in a heartbeat.  In our case, we did the Singapore to Sydney repo.  It included a few Asians ports and we circumnavigated Australia going west to east, from Perth, to Adelaide, Tasmania, then finally Sydney...Ovation of the Seas.

Repositioning cruises are usually done around October/November...so ships can be in Australia for their summer vacation which is typically in December.  Sydney and Singapore are two of our favorite places...great cruise terminals, wonderful people, many places to visit, and extremely easy to get around using public transportation.  For example: In Sydney, the OPT, Overseas Passenger Terminal, is only a short walk to the Sydney Opera House , Sydney Harbour Bridge, The Rocks, and downtown...not to mention Circular Quay train station and the ferries.  In Singapore, the Marina Bay Cruise Terminal is walking distance to the Gardens by the Bay and an MRT station.  You may want to visit the Asia or Australia threads for more detailed information.  Sigh...brought back some fond memories...wishing cruising would start again soon...sigh.

• Like 1

Usually the only cruises that go between Sydney and Singapore are repositioning cruises or world cruises. 

Repositioning cruises tend not to have a lot of port stops. It takes five sea days to go from Sydney to Darwin - add in another day if the ship stops at Brisbane on the way. From Darwin to Singapore takes another four sea days, with possibly a stop in Bali or Lombok along the way.

World cruises would probably include more port stops, perhaps one of the Great Barrier Reef ports of Airlie Beach, or Cairns, or Port Douglas. There isn't much across the top of Australia but more Indonesian ports might be offered.

• Like 2

A miserably long flight to a cruise through the heat and humidity of the tropics only to face a miserably long flight home does not appeal to me at all. If I cruise that route, it will be as a segment of a long cruise that departs and/or arrives in North America.

5 hours ago, whogo said:

A miserably long flight to a cruise through the heat and humidity of the tropics only to face a miserably long flight home does not appeal to me at all. If I cruise that route, it will be as a segment of a long cruise that departs and/or arrives in North America.

Ya ... very long flight(s) and I am coming to the same line of thinking.  The idea of Australia and Singapore sound like a really nice change to what I typically cruise but beginning to question if the distance to get there is worth it.  Oh well I have time to research and think more about it.

Departing on a longer cruise is not such a bad idea.

I have also looked at that type of cruise as well.  RCI does this route a couple of times a year.  I see one on Voyager of the seas in April 2021.  Sometimes they will go further than from/to Singapore with starting/ending ports in places like Hong Kong if you want to combine 2 cruises together.

20 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Usually the only cruises that go between Sydney and Singapore are repositioning cruises or world cruises...

Would you recommend going on this cruise in the Australian Spring or Fall from a weather perspective?