Galapagos Inner or Outer Loop and Flora

nextariel

We are looking at Galapagos in case we are not able to do our NZ/Australia trio in 2021. Any feedback on selecting either the inner and outer loop would be appreciated. Also room selection on the Flora. 

We did the inner loop in September and it was amazing!  I think you can’t go wrong either way. 

My personal recommendation is to select a room on the 5th deck because it has a real balcony. They are actually the least expensive cabins, but we much preferred it over an infinity balcony. 

Flora is amazing. You will love the trip!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nextariel said:

We are looking at Galapagos in case we are not able to do our NZ/Australia trio in 2021. Any feedback on selecting either the inner and outer loop would be appreciated. Also room selection on the Flora. 

great question I was wonder the same thing  and is one better for scuba diving ?  

I have done both the Inner and Outer on the Xpedition.  They were both amazing, but I preferred the outer loop.  Either way you can't go wrong.  We didn't scuba dive, but the snorkeling was equally as good on both Inner and Outer.

2 hours ago, nextariel said:

A naturalist told me the biggest difference between the routes is that on the outer loop you get to see the albatrosses and on the inner loop you get to see the red-footed boobies. Otherwise they share most of the same spots. Maybe see if it is the proper nesting season.

All loops are amazing from what I've heard. I actually made a spreadsheet before booking our first cruise on Xpedition, and ended up disregarding it in the end. We sailed the inner loop and saw; red frigates mating dance, blue-footed boobies, marine iguanas, albatross, sealions and pups, sea turtles, golden rays, penguins, .....   Unless there is a very specific animal you must see (Booby mating dance, newborn seal pups, etc.), in which case time of year may be more important,  you can't go wrong. We had no scuba excursions offered on Xpedition and I wasn't aware they are offered on Flora. Our close friends sailed Flora and absolutely loved their infinite veranda cabin, saying it felt larger than the balcony cabins. I guess its all in personal preference.

We've booked Xpedition again for 2021 on the Southern Loop specifically because it includes North Seymour Island, which was our favorite stop. I'm sure you won't be disappointed no matter which you choose.

Please visit the Roll Calls board, Celebrity Connections, Flora (or Xpedition) for more information.

Edited by sippican

We cruised the outer loop on the Flora in October 2019 and loved it!  The ship is truly beautiful and very well thought out. We ended up with an infinite veranda, wasn't sure if I'd like it.  But it was fairly cool outside so I'm not sure how much time we would have spent on a balcony.  The infinite veranda really increases the usable size of the room, providing more space to lay out wet clothes to dry, etc.  I'm not sure they offer scuba, I did not notice anyone doing that.  But the snorkeling is great.  Water was a bit cold though, they do provide wet suits but they are short sleeved and short legged.  If you have your own you may want to consider packing it.  One feature of the outer loop is that they make a stop at the "post office":

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/destinations/south-america/ecuador/galapagos-post-office-bay/

We had our post card hand delivered about 6 months after the trip and had a fun visit with the cruiser who pick it up for us.

Should you decide to also do the post cruise Machu-Picchu trip, please remember long slacks or bug spray to keep the sand flies at bay.  I started with long pants but zipped off the lower part when it got hot.  Didn't notice the bites at the time, but the ones on my legs are only now starting to fade.

Another suggestion -- do lots of balance excises in advance of your trip.  They offer walking sticks which are just that, sticks.  Also the lava can do a number on your shoes, good hiking boots vs sneakers are best.