Comments on Revised Booking From Galveston: Coz, M.B., G.C.

Joe817

Our original booking on the Freedom was to depart Sept. 13, 2020 & since that has been cancelled, are in talks about when to book. We pretty much know where we want to go(Cozumel, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman), but are undecided WHEN to go. I'm strongly leaning against going from last week of May until the first week of September. The reason is to avoid the summer family crowds. We still want to try the Freedom, since it will be leaving Galveston, so I ask you....

what are your thoughts about sailing:

Departing February 28...Arriving March 7....?

or

Departing March 21....arriving March 28?

Considering these sailing dates, how is the weather during this time period? How are the crowds? If there is any cost differential between the 2 sailing dates, and is marginal, it is not a consideration. 

And like the Bartle's & James commercial,  'we thank you for your support.'              

I have cruised out of Galveston late feb-early March 3 of the last 4 years. I find prices are low that time of year. There’s potential for it to be cold in Galveston but you usually are getting spring weather at winter prices. The cruise weather will be great. The things to avoid that time of year are the time change and spring break and both of them are on the 15th so you’re good. The biggest worry will be fog. I’ve never done the late March one so I can’t speak on that other than it’s right after spring break for most of Texas.

Edited by Saint Greg

Fog was my first thought as well. We have sat and waited up to 4 hours to dock in feb waiting for the fog to burn off. People missed planes. Glad I drove.

I too prefer cruising during winter and going where it warmer. Summer too hot. 

I'm not sure where you live but where I am about set records for rain. In Galveston rain can equal fog. Just relax and dont set a tight schedule. I think its a great time to go. Only time of year I'd go see ruins, when its cooler.

I have a b2b feb 2021 and a b2b march 2022. Feb is when you really are fed up and ready to get away the most. One year out of Galveston there was snow on the ground just north of houston. Weather is pot luck.

Whichever works for your schedule and price I'd pick. Even weather experts cant tell you which week will be better. Enjoy 

Thank you all for your comments. They are greatly appreciated. As we are in Arlington, and 11 miles southwest of DFW airport, we are well aware of what it's like this time of year. So our only concern may be fog when we get to Galveston. But I think we can live with this as we are driving and parking right across the street from terminal 1. We are driving straight down I45. 

As you all know, the weather is crazy in Texas that time of year, so we will be prepared well in advanced for getting down to Galveston. You all are great! Thank you! 

One point that no one has addressed that you mentioned (and who knows if this will apply in the future) is Carnival ships normally sail at full or close to full capacity. We have sailed every month of the year on Carnival ships and the crowd level has always been the same on every cruise, with some differences based on the ship class. Carnival adjusts their cruise prices based on the time of year as Saint Greg mentioned, but the bottom line is Carnival almost always sails with close to full ships so you are always dealing with crowds to some degree (once again this may change in the future). 

18 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

One point that no one has addressed that you mentioned (and who knows if this will apply in the future) is Carnival ships normally sail at full or close to full capacity. We have sailed every month of the year on Carnival ships and the crowd level has always been the same on every cruise, with some differences based on the ship class. Carnival adjusts their cruise prices based on the time of year as Saint Greg mentioned, but the bottom line is Carnival almost always sails with close to full ships so you are always dealing with crowds to some degree (once again this may change in the future). 

Ehhh. I think they’re less full when you have fewer kids because you’d have fewer 3rd and 4th guests in rooms.

26 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Ehhh. I think they’re less full when you have fewer kids because you’d have fewer 3rd and 4th guests in rooms.

Your comment makes sense, but I have never been on a Carnival cruise where I felt the crowd level was significantly less no matter what time of year it was, with the exception of a couple of cruises we sailed on with far less than maximum capacity due to weather (one due to fog out of Tampa and the other due to Hurricane Dorian). 

Port intensive cruises always seem less crowded. Cruises to Caribbean from the northeast seem worse because of the sea days. We usually do the smaller ships and longer schedules and never notice an overflow of kids or people.  We cruise for the ports not the ship so we usually end up on the smaller ones with no bells and whistles. The only time a ship appears crowded is sea days, embarkation, disembarking, and outside the comedy clubs.  If you can handle those times, go for it.  Our favorite port to sail from is San Juan because of the late departure. 

Edited by jean87510

43 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Your comment makes sense, but I have never been on a Carnival cruise where I felt the crowd level was significantly less no matter what time of year it was, with the exception of a couple of cruises we sailed on with far less than maximum capacity due to weather (one due to fog out of Tampa and the other due to Hurricane Dorian). 

I have felt it was significantly more. On the one July cruise I did we had 1,000 kids. When I cruise now it’s 300-500 and I’m on bigger ships. 

The Texas Spring Breaks should be over by the March dates but you still could have families on Spring Break from other parts of the country. That said the cruise in Feb will be full but MAYBE not as many kids. We have done this itinerary a couple of times in early March and the weather is great.