Pullmantur's Ships Will Be Returned To Royal Caribbean

So the end of the journey is near! Kind of sad-  a ship in a still pretty good shape.. well thats the times! Curious to see the first pictures of the scrapping. If I am not wrong the biggest ship to be dissmantled after the scrapping of the old Norway.

Just now, Jack McGowan said:

I wonder if she might be on her way to Turkey after today also. 

The Pullmantur ships are ahead of her - plus RCI may want to keep booking her, regardless of her long term outcome.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

A 45 old cargo ship has been in the same spot for about two days - I assume there's line to wait to head to shore.

What they are waiting for is maximum tidal range.  The next spring high tide will be the 20th, which is what all ships will be waiting for.  High tides will allow the ship to be driven further onto shore to aid in scrapping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

What they are waiting for is maximum tidal range.  The next spring high tide will be the 20th, which is what all ships will be waiting for.  High tides will allow the ship to be driven further onto shore to aid in scrapping.

So how exactly does that work?  Does the ship beach herself under her own power?  Pushed ashore by tugs?  Pulled ashore by some sort of winch?  I've got this picture in my head of the captain saying "Ramming Speed!" as his last act.

52 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

So how exactly does that work?  Does the ship beach herself under her own power?  Pushed ashore by tugs?  Pulled ashore by some sort of winch?  I've got this picture in my head of the captain saying "Ramming Speed!" as his last act.

I *think* the ships go full speed up onto the beach. Wether they are pulled further up onto the beach after that I’m not sure

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Not Monarch but gives you an idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Yes, they ballast the ship so the bow is as far up out of the water as possible, and then ring up "Ludicrous Speed" (for Space Balls aficionados).  Once ashore, they will start cutting the superstructure off, and the hull as far down as possible, and once the weight is reduced considerably, they can use winches to drag the remaining hull further on land.

The Captain is long gone by this time, the ship has been sold, so the scrap yard has people who can operate the engines and steer enough to drive onto the beach.  Notice the use of the smoking fire as an "aiming point" for the ship.  Also note the small keel section to the right of where the ship grounds, attached to chains used to drag the remnant up the shore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

I think Monarch will be the first cruise ship built in the 1990's to be scrapped by choice. I guess it is an indicator of what is coming across the cruise industry. 

But she was begun in the 80's

Costa Victoria scrapped by choice, just 24 years old

https://thepointsguy.com/news/costa-victoria-cruise-ship-scrapped/

Edited by CSHS1979

53 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

But she was begun in the 80's

Costa Victoria scrapped by choice, just 24 years old

https://thepointsguy.com/news/costa-victoria-cruise-ship-scrapped/

Interesting that Costa Victoria was delivered just prior to the shipyard going bankrupt. I would wonder if the ship always had issues. 

Also noted that the ship is awaiting likely scrapping after the buyer had originally stated the ship would be used as accommodations and just a week later presented her for possible scrapping. 

8 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

Interesting that Costa Victoria was delivered just prior to the shipyard going bankrupt. I would wonder if the ship always had issues. 

Also noted that the ship is awaiting likely scrapping after the buyer had originally stated the ship would be used as accommodations and just a week later presented her for possible scrapping. 

Actually, the Costa Olympia (sister to Victoria) was the final ship started by the Bremer Vulkan yard, and she has had significant problems during her life as the Norwegian Sky, but this was caused by the 10 month period the ship lay idle between Bremer Vulkan and Lloyd Werft taking over construction.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 7:13 PM, pcur said:

Per Dr. Fauci of the CDC on 6/28:

With government support, three coronavirus vaccines are expected to be studied in large-scale clinical trials in the next three months.

I expect by next March it will be available, 9 months from now.

Studied nothing proven.  Will take a year to prove it provides immunity short term.  Will take 3 to 5 years to prove it provides longer term immunity.  MRNA vaccines have to be transported in liquid nitrogen. Even if they work they will be difficult and expensive to administer.  WE have no other proven corona virus vaccines.  I hope one works but all we will know this year is a vaccine is safe to administer and generates an antibody titer.  Also what if after a few weeks and a few million doses Gillian Bare syndrome shows up in a few individuals.  Will that shut down the vaccine like it did the 1976 national flu vaccine?

Feb 17, 2020 - Santos (Sao Paolo) Brazil

I had no clue I was taking photos of Sovereign for one of her final passenger carrying voyages before the pandemic began. Here she is leaving ahead of us (I was on Oceania Marina).

IMG_5610.JPG

IMG_5634.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 3

Great video- thank you so much- even though i never sailed this clas of ships- I knew they where the role model for todays cruise ships. I sailed on her succesor´s , the  Vision Class. Loved them- with every twist and turn you where conected to the sea- wonderful. Up to the Raddiance Class I loved RCCI ships. With the Voyager class began the turning point for me. To much indoors- without a view out to the sea at all. Voyager o.t.S was my biggest RCI ship! I switched to X and then to Cunard.

Those big floating resort ships are just no longer my thing!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jack McGowan said:

Majesty OTS is in Southampton today with Allure, no more scheduled port visits (obviously could change at short notice), I wonder if she might be on her way to Turkey after today also. 

Majesty now has another stop scheduled at Portsmouth on July 21, so she is still not done.

Of course, all (most) ships eventually meet their end this way.   Still, its just such a violent, cruel ending.   There are plenty of vids on  youtube and pics on  Peter Knego's Maritime Matters site of exactly what takes place and its hard to watch.   This next batch will be particularly hard to see  being scrapped because many of us have been on them recently enough, have great memories on them.    Monarch will always be special to me and to our family. 

I fear many more after this first round are coming too .. so sad to see whats happening to the cruise industry as a result of this horrible virus.    These ships all had so much more life in them.    

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, LeesSummitCruiser1 said:

Studied nothing proven.  Will take a year to prove it provides immunity short term.  Will take 3 to 5 years to prove it provides longer term immunity.  MRNA vaccines have to be transported in liquid nitrogen. Even if they work they will be difficult and expensive to administer.  WE have no other proven corona virus vaccines.  I hope one works but all we will know this year is a vaccine is safe to administer and generates an antibody titer.  Also what if after a few weeks and a few million doses Gillian Bare syndrome shows up in a few individuals.  Will that shut down the vaccine like it did the 1976 national flu vaccine?

I don’t think complete, forever immunity is necessary. If it got to the point where an annual shot, similar to the flu, provided the same level of protection, I would be satisfied. Whether any particular person gets the shot is up to them but at least there is then something I can do to protect myself.  I get the flu shot every year and the cruise lines have existed with that level of treatment/exposure.

mac_tlc