American Express Platinum-do we also need Medivac?

We are married couple, he is 74, and I am 73.  We are about to book a short cruise in the Caribbean in January (considering not taking additional travel Insurance),  hope to travel to a family reunion in Sweden next June (mostly air, maybe some cruise), and are booked on 75 day cruise around Africa Fall 2021 for which we have already purchased Travel Insurance through our TA (transferred from Fall 2020 cancelled cruise).

Currently we have America Express Platinum as well as Medivac which we have paid for the last five years as we began taking longer cruises that took us to the North Atlantic and Antarctica.  Now that my husband is 75, the cost of his Medivac will nearly double.  And then next year, when I turn 75, our cost for Medivac insurance will soar again.

America Express Platinum say they will transport us to a hospital of their choice where they think we will get the right care.

Can we trust that?  Or should we continue to pay for Medivac who we think will get us home if the situation is serious and that is what we want.  Or is there a better option for us?

Also, we are concerned about pre-existing conditions.  America Express Platinum tells us pre-existing conditions is not a concern unless we were treated for that within 60 days of our trip.  I normally see my cardiologist every 3-4 months and if we are going on a 75 day cruise, I will probably see him within 60 days of leaving on the cruise.  I would also probably get a 

cortisone shot in my right knee to help with pain and walking.  Does that negate coverage for a twisted knee or injury due to weak knee?  What insurance is best for pre-existing conditions such as heart disease and arthritis?

Thank you for any and all advice.

I should have mentioned that we both have Medicare and Blue Cross/Florida supplement.  We are long term residents of Florida.  Husband is in good health but takes medicine for high blood pressure.  I had heart attack 8 years ago and have a pacemaker and take heart medicine now due to weak heart.  I also suffer from arthritic knees, otherwise feel good.

8 hours ago, sansterre said:

We are married couple, he is 74, and I am 73.  We are about to book a short cruise in the Caribbean in January (considering not taking additional travel Insurance),  hope to travel to a family reunion in Sweden next June (mostly air, maybe some cruise), and are booked on 75 day cruise around Africa Fall 2021 for which we have already purchased Travel Insurance through our TA (transferred from Fall 2020 cancelled cruise).

Currently we have America Express Platinum as well as Medivac which we have paid for the last five years as we began taking longer cruises that took us to the North Atlantic and Antarctica.  Now that my husband is 75, the cost of his Medivac will nearly double.  And then next year, when I turn 75, our cost for Medivac insurance will soar again.

America Express Platinum say they will transport us to a hospital of their choice where they think we will get the right care.

Can we trust that?  Or should we continue to pay for Medivac who we think will get us home if the situation is serious and that is what we want.  Or is there a better option for us?

Also, we are concerned about pre-existing conditions.  America Express Platinum tells us pre-existing conditions is not a concern unless we were treated for that within 60 days of our trip.  I normally see my cardiologist every 3-4 months and if we are going on a 75 day cruise, I will probably see him within 60 days of leaving on the cruise.  I would also probably get a cortisone shot in my right knee to help with pain and walking.  Does that negate coverage for a twisted knee or injury due to weak knee?  What insurance is best for pre-existing conditions such as heart disease and arthritis?

I should have mentioned that we both have Medicare and Blue Cross/Florida supplement.  We are long term residents of Florida.  Husband is in good health but takes medicine for high blood pressure.  I had heart attack 8 years ago and have a pacemaker and take heart medicine now due to weak heart.  I also suffer from arthritic knees, otherwise feel good.

8 hours ago, sansterre said:

Thank you for any and all advice.

Hi sansterre,

> American Express Platinum tells us pre-existing conditions is not a concern unless we were treated for that within 60 days of our trip

This doesn't sound right. Will you check to see if American Express means the 60 days before you booked your trip?

> America Express Platinum say they will transport us to a hospital of their choice where they think we will get the right care. Can we trust that?

Ys, but ask them where you can see it in writing.

> I will probably see him within 60 days of leaving on the cruise.  I would also probably get a cortisone shot in my right knee to help with pain and walking.  Does that negate coverage for a twisted knee or injury due to weak knee?  What insurance is best for pre-existing conditions such as heart disease and arthritis?

You will want more clarification from American Express about their pre-existing conditions coverage.

Lots of plans you buy on your own will give you good pre-existing conditions coverage.

I need to get more specific personal info from you before I can tell you what plan to get. Will you email me this info to steve@tripinsurancestore.com ?

- Your phone number

- Yout name

- The per person prepaid cost of your trip

Thanks,

Steve Dasseos