Once sailing resumes, do you think an entire ship would be "quarantined" for a + and not allowed to come into home port?

Eli_6

So, I am seeing posts that one of the concerns with taking a 2020 cruise is the entire ship not being allowed to go into dock if there is a positive.  In fact, that is why my husband is opposing me booking a cruise until next summer. His fear is being quarantined ON the ship and not able to do his job.  (As an aside, right now he is doing telemedicine and not even going into the office so it seems to me so long as his internet worked, he could still work...although, I honestly wouldn't want to be stuck on a ship for two weeks anyway.)  Do you think, at this point, with 6,000 new cases a day in Texas, they would really quarantine an entire ship for a positive and not allow it to dock?  Would they even know if there was a positive in the span of a 4 or 5 day cruise? Those we know who have tested, despite the supposed quick test, have had to wait 3-4 days for their results. We know several people who have tested positive for Covid-19 and they have just been told to "self-quarantine" with no one really following back up to make sure they actually do it. If I was exposed, I would obviously self-quarantine in my own house and follow any instructions...but with the rate of spread, would they still take the drastic measure of not allowing people off a ship simply because they *might* have been exposed? I feel like I run the risk of being exposed simply going to the grocery store or gas station in Houston.  Thoughts on my question?

To be clear, I take COVID-19 very seriously--especially mask wearing.

27 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

No. We didn’t have testing before like we will then. The days of quarantining an entire ship because of 1 person should be over when cruising resumes.

As usual I agree with you. After the princess disaster just wouldnt happen.

Cruising simply wouldnt resume, until this is addressed in a way cdc approves. Some say not until a vaccine but who knows.

I dont know we will see cruises this year. Roatan says not open to cruiseships until into 2021. This also has to be addressed, finding ports that are open. 

No one knows, people been speculating for months. But no one knows, not even the cruiselines. You always speak good sense.

• Like 2

I hope the port authorities would not keep well people on a ship when the virus is spreading. This is one of the reasons for outbreaks on the ships that killed too many people. If an outbreak happens people need to be taken off the ships, tested, and quarantine in an isolated place if necessary. 

14 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I don't think it will ever be necessary to quarantine a ship for covid now that the virus is everywhere.  I can see certain ports not allowing a ship to dock, but I don't see an entire ship of people being forced to stay on a ship after the cruise ends.  There is rapid testing available and it seems like cruise ships will someday have access to those tests.  

I also don't think the majority of people think it's a hoax.  I think some people claim people think it's a hoax when in reality those people know that the odds of dying from this virus are slim for those who aren't in a high risk category.  Many people don't believe in promoting fear and don't fall for being shamed, harassed, or bullied for having different views. 

Just from what I read, the cdc wants separate hospital ships, while the cruiselines are suggesting perhaps devote a couple of decks as quarantine, not take them off the ship.

Cruiselines also are saying no doubling up of crew which will take extra space using pax cabins.

It's no wonder cruises are "selling out" so fast. 

People with inside cabins getting offers to upgrade, causing speculation carnival is trying to free up inside cabins. 

Cruiselines and cdc have not come to any agreements. .. it's all speculation until a agreement is reached. 

Because no one really knows how cruise lines will handle this, and because you have concerns, why not wait to book till guidelines are established to make an informed decision? 

note:  Watching this carefully: not a debate, statistics or political thread

Edited by Host Carolyn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

No. We didn’t have testing before like we will then. The days of quarantining an entire ship because of 1 person should be over when cruising resumes.

I hope you are right.  But when I see states with daily numbers rising up into the 6,000-9,000 positive test range, it gets me worried.  I will not step on a cruise ship from now on without 1-2 months of extra perscription meds - that I will tell you!!

14 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

Because no one really knows how cruise lines will handle this, and because you have concerns, why not to book till guidelines are established to make an informed decision? 

note,:  Watching this carefully: not a debate, statistics or political thread

Exactly —— booking a cruise now - even one sailing some time in 2021 - is not even buying a pig in a poke.

Sure, there is SOMETHING in that poke, but it could be anything from a dead possum to your grandfather’s old tennis shoes.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

Exactly —— booking a cruise now - even one sailing some time in 2021 - is not even buying a pig in a poke.

Sure, there is SOMETHING in that poke, but it could be anything from a dead possum to your grandfather’s old tennis shoes.

If you book a cruise, don't you always have to make a deposit? And then struggle to get a refund sometimes for months?

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Really what data do you have to state that.

I'd say the risk for quarantine is higher.   The risk for spreading on a cruise ship has been widely reported and made press worldwide.    

All it takes is one person to get fever everyone will get tested and we already know enough that people can be asymtomatic and given what is happened in Florida and Arizona and Texas says all it takes is a few to spread and everyone can be infected.

Only way to insure everyone is clean, isolate test, and test at the end before letting them out into the wild.

Seeing what happens in EU, can't imagine they let a ship land with anyone that is possible infected.

The problem is what to do with you once a ship docks with someone who is confirmed covid positive. Theoretically they could have been spreading it on board for days prior to symptoms and testing so many others could be infected. Now the ship is docked back in Florida and unloading. Florida isn't going to want you to go to your hotel and then the beach later and then dinner and continue your vacation. You aren't going to want to self isolate in a hotel in florida for 14 days. If you could hop in a car and drive home and self-isolate that would be a good solution. But if you flew, the airlines won't want you boarding a plane. I really don't know what they will do. But I do know that I"m not comfortable booking a cruise until this has been tried and tested and we know what they will do. I'm with your husband, the risk of getting stuck somewhere for 14 days and having to take an extra 2 weeks off of work, potentially pay for a hotel and room service for that time, etc, isn't worth the reward of taking a trip to me right now. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Really what data do you have to state that.

I'd say the risk for quarantine is higher.   The risk for spreading on a cruise ship has been widely reported and made press worldwide.    

All it takes is one person to get fever everyone will get tested and we already know enough that people can be asymtomatic and given what is happened in Florida and Arizona and Texas says all it takes is a few to spread and everyone can be infected.

Only way to insure everyone is clean, isolate test, and test at the end before letting them out into the wild.

Seeing what happens in EU, can't imagine they let a ship land with anyone that is possible infected.

Reading this and other things honestly makes me wonder if it will be years before cruising resumes. The main stream US ones anyway.

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Reading this and other things honestly makes me wonder if it will be years before cruising resumes. The main stream US ones anyway.

Forget cruising this holiday and thru early 2021 for any US based or US citiizen's elsewhere given the mess here. 

We had a chance to contain it, but alas we squandered it on the whims of “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

Now it is really out like a wildflire that will only end when it burns itself out, the destruction in its wake will be hopefully not too much.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/coronavirus/cdc-says-way-too-much-virus-in-us-to-control-pandemic-as-cases-surge/2388057/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Do you think, at this point, with 6,000 new cases a day in Texas, they would really quarantine an entire ship for a positive and not allow it to dock?  

No, I don't think they will do that now when the virus is spread everywhere.

The cruise lines must have plans before the cruises can start again so quarantine on the ship is not something I worry about.

16 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Forget cruising this holiday and thru early 2021 for any US based or US citiizen's elsewhere given the mess here. 

We had a chance to contain it, but alas we squandered it on the whims of “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

Now it is really out like a wildflire that will only end when it burns itself out, the destruction in its wake will be hopefully not too much.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/coronavirus/cdc-says-way-too-much-virus-in-us-to-control-pandemic-as-cases-surge/2388057/

Good article. Thanks for sharing. And I see that Dr. Fauci testified this AM that he believes we could hit 100,000 new cases a day. Regarding your second paragraph I remain constantly enraged.

7 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The question was about "home ports"

Ya know, I JUST this minute saw that. Thanks. 

But on second thought, since our cruises have begun and ended in other countries I wonder what that would mean. Wouldn't that be a "home port"?

• Like 1

Another "what if" question that nobody is going to know the answer to, because the possible circumstances have not been seen before, with the modifications that will be required. I know it is difficult to do our normal, pleasurable things, like planning vacations,  with such uncertainty in our lives, but we are definitely not in "normal" times, by any stretch of the imagination. We just have to breath slowly, and wait for the changes to develop, be announced, and implemented. Easier written than practiced.

Folks will often say what they "feel" rather then rely on facts.  Here are the facts.  Ports have not generally allowed ships to dock with COVID-19 cases.  In a few cases when that has happened it was after significant delays and was generally accompanied by a 14 day quarantine of everyone on the ship.  Will this change within a few months?  I think the evidence is actually to the contrary.  More and more countries have made it clear they do not want cruise ships and the cruise industry has yet to release any proposal of how to deal with cases aboard.  The fast Abbot test has proven to be unreliable with false negatives that sometimes approach 20%.  Other types of testing are more accurate but generally take a couple of days (assuming you have easy access to an approved lab) and would unlikely be done on cruise ships.  

Where does this leave the cruise industry?  I have no clue.  We are not anti cruise (we still have a 30 day cruise booked for October, a 14 day cruise in December and a 28 day cruise next April) but have our doubts about any of these cruises happening.  I simply ask myself an easy question.  If I were running a port or government would I allow a ship (and its souls) to dock if they did not have a good plan on how to deal with COVID-19 aboard?  No way!  Most ports do not get enough benefit from a ship to justify taking the risk.  Until the cruise lines are able to assure ports that the risk (of allowing passengers ashore) is minimal I suspect that most ports will continue to refuse ships.  The one likely exception could be the so-called Private Islands...but this is only a possibility for short Caribbean cruises which is a small part of the worldwide cruise industry.

Speaking of the Caribbean, the recent surge of COVID-19 in Florida is another huge problem for the industry.   At this time a cruise ship passenger or crew member embarking on a cruise from FL will have to pass through a COVID-19 hot zone.  Since testing (even at the port) would be unlikely to detect recent exposure the cruise line would have to gamble that not a single passenger was exposed during the trip to the port and possible time in FL.  What a mess.  Is there any wonder that the CDC has been quiet about new standards for the cruise industry?

Hank

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Of course they can quarantine US citizens. They have done it. They may allow them to leave the ship to quarantine someplace on land but they won’t let the leave where they house them until the quarantine period is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right. An acquaintance of ours parents were on the ship that finally got to dock in Oakland. And they were whisked of to a or some military for quarantine. US citizens.

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

They can not and will not prevent US Citizens (with proof of citizenship) from departing the ship, sick or not.  They can prevent non US Citizens including those transiting thru the US to home countries from debark.  Unlike other countries that take your passport when you enter one of their hospitals until you pay your bill, US hospitals by law cannot so someone could simply leave untreated. 

You are simply incorrect. “They” can —— and might.

It has not been done since the 1919 Spanish Influenza - but the US government does have the options of quarantine and isolation to protect against importation and transmission of infectious diseases.  It may be too late at this point because the Federal Government failed to provide early and strong leadership, and local governments bowed to the ignorant wishes of the uninformed - but depending upon how things play out in coming weeks - you may very well see some hardball being played - at the very least legal requirement for face masks and prolonged closing of non-essential activities.

It was also done, on a small scale, in the early days of this go-around - when citizens returning from China were held at facilities upon their return.  

Edited by navybankerteacher

16 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If a ship is not permitted to dock any US citizen on that ship is completely out of luck until that ship finds a port willing to accept the vessel and allow passengers to disembark. 

Our last three cruises have departed from someplace other than the US, and ended at yet another country. I agree with those that say there's a whole lot of info that's needed. Let's say there's a good vaccine. Good doesn't mean 100% so let's further say one person 'got it.' ................ A whole lot more info.

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You are simply incorrect. “They” can —— and might.

It has not been done since the 1919 Spanish Influenza - but the US government does have the options of quarantine and isolation to protect against importation and transmission of infectious diseases.  It may be too late at this point because the Federal Government failed to provide early and strong leadership, and local governments bowed to the ignorant wishes of the uninformed - but depending upon how things play out in coming weeks - you may very well see some hardball being played - at the very least legal requirement for face masks and prolonged closing of non-essential activities.

It was also done, on a small scale, in the early days of this go-around - when citizens returning from China were held at facilities upon their return.  

They were held inside the country.  US Citizens were permitted to enter the US, not refused entry and forced to remain on a cruise ship

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

They were held inside the country.  US Citizens were permitted to enter the US, not refused entry and forced to remain on a cruise ship

Eventually they were 'allowed' to enter the country. Some sailed around quite a bit before any port (US port!) would allow them in.