Which Boeing Polaris (business) seats are best for couples?

OnTheJourney

From looking at the seating configuration, it's hard to tell. IF my cruise goes as planned in January, and IF we go, I want business class. So here is a picture of the United Boeing 767-300 that I'd be using for this (at least based on the United airlines website). Which combination of seats A, D, F, and L would be best for two people traveling together?  F and L, D and F, or A and D?   Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I am leaning towards booking this through Viking and so who knows which seats we'll ultimately wind up with - and when. 

1065271976_ScreenShot2020-07-01at8_52_53AM.thumb.png.21f4852206d963f350ba617b82c84358.png

Edited by OnTheJourney

In January there might still be concerns about coronavirus contagion, so you might want to select seats that provide the most isolation from passersby and adjacent passengers. For that reason, I would choose A or L seats at mid-cabin (least restroom traffic, theoretically). From the graphics and photos, it looks like the odd-numbered rows have the A & L seats that are farthest from the aisle, so I would choose those, but you may want to confirm. That would target 7A & 9A or 7L & 9L. It does not give much togetherness, but it may provide social distancing and peace of mind.

We are traveling in January to Barcelona on AA for a Viking Ocean cruise, and seat selections have been made with regard for social distancing.

Some potentially useful information: 767-300 Polaris Seating Review

Edited by What was that?
Added comment. Added link.

Last fall we flew EWR → FCO in Business Class on a United 767-300.  We had selected center seats, but for some reason we were assigned seats across the left aisle from each other which actually turned out better for us.  If we did United Business again, I would select the same.

Seats were comfortable, but one negative was that everyone boarded through the most forward doors, so with all the foot traffic beverage service could not be started during the boarding process.  In fact, we didn't get drinks until we had been airborne for about an hour...pretty poor service.  On their A330s American boards aft of the Business Class section so there's no interference with the forward cabin.

We're scheduled to fly JFK → FCO in September in Business on a Delta / Alitalia A330 codeshare.  Some seats in the forward section have been blocked off as unavailable, so you may run into that when you book United.  That will, of course, limit your selection.

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

From looking at the seating configuration, it's hard to tell. IF my cruise goes as planned in January, and IF we go, I want business class. So here is a picture of the United Boeing 767-300 that I'd be using for this (at least based on the United airlines website). Which combination of seats A, D, F, and L would be best for two people traveling together?  F and L, D and F, or A and D?   Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I am leaning towards booking this through Viking and so who knows which seats we'll ultimately wind up with - and when. 

1065271976_ScreenShot2020-07-01at8_52_53AM.thumb.png.21f4852206d963f350ba617b82c84358.png

From reading travel and credit card blogs, Polaris is supposed to be excellent. 

This might  have some answers

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/united-biz-seats-ranked/#:~:text= Every United Business-Class Seat Ranked From Best,(787-8 and 787-9) Many of United’s most... More

Also - did you check seat guru's recommendations?

We were on the Sky in March sailing from Miami to Barcelona. Mid-Atlantic the captain was instructed to return to Miami. We enjoyed our amended cruise and the crew were excellent and remained positive throughout. Viking arranged our flight from Miami to Edinburgh with Air France vía Paris. We arrived home safely despite the shambles of Miami airport and TSA staff acting as if there were no pandemic. The moral of my story is book your air travel with Viking. They will take excellent care of you should your travel plans have to be altered.

2 hours ago, sfocruiser said:

The 767 version of Polaris is tough for couples as even the center seats are staggered.  Aisles across  L,F might give you the best chance to talk but it will have a fair bit of separation.

image.png.7a63201c22646b91c8acf00006c8f4c8.png

I wonder how D and F would work out??  Or...two seats in either L or A?  Just have to sort of turn heads to talk together?  I'm not loving this configuration (in terms of couples) and far prefer the one I''d have going over - 2 seats together on both window sides.  Not sure I like the idea of cross-aisle L and F - but thanks for suggesting. There is no real good combination the way it seems. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

42 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Seats were comfortable, but one negative was that everyone boarded through the most forward doors, so with all the foot traffic beverage service could not be started during the boarding process.

Right, Lew - that's another thing. If boarding is via the front door, then remain in the boarding area until the last few pax board. Then board and sanitize!

We fly American, and I selected seats in business forward of the boarding door (777-300ER aka 77W) to avoid that situation.

Edited by What was that?

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

In January there might still be concerns about coronavirus contagion, so you might want to select seats that provide the most isolation from passersby and adjacent passengers. For that reason, I would choose A or L seats at mid-cabin (least restroom traffic, theoretically). From the graphics and photos, it looks like the odd-numbered rows have the A & L seats that are farthest from the aisle, so I would choose those, but you may want to confirm. That would target 7A & 9A or 7L & 9L. It does not give much togetherness, but it may provide social distancing and peace of mind.

We are traveling in January to Barcelona on AA for a Viking Ocean cruise, and seat selections have been made with regard for social distancing.

7A and 9A? But then you have someone else in between. What about adjacent - like 7A and 8A?  

As to the January Barcelona....we're also doing that....the Inaugural, followed by Iberian. 

43 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Last fall we flew EWR → FCO in Business Class on a United 767-300.  We had selected center seats, but for some reason we were assigned seats across the left aisle from each other which actually turned out better for us.  If we did United Business again, I would select the same.

Seats were comfortable, but one negative was that everyone boarded through the most forward doors, so with all the foot traffic beverage service could not be started during the boarding process.  In fact, we didn't get drinks until we had been airborne for about an hour...pretty poor service.  On their A330s American boards aft of the Business Class section so there's no interference with the forward cabin.

We're scheduled to fly JFK → FCO in September in Business on a Delta / Alitalia A330 codeshare.  Some seats in the forward section have been blocked off as unavailable, so you may run into that when you book United.  That will, of course, limit your selection.

So you're saying like A&D or F&L?  

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

7A and 9A? But then you have someone else in between. What about adjacent - like 7A and 8A?  

As to the January Barcelona....we're also doing that....the Inaugural, followed by Iberian. 

OTJ - I seem to remember we will be Barcelona-London together.

My recommendation for separated seats was based solely on those seats being farthest from the aisle. Yes there will be someone between. I didn't do the calculus of which option lowers your exposure risk best - farther from the aisle vs. fewer adjacent non-family pax. It's the proverbial "exercise left for the user..."

You can always bring walkie-talkies.     😉

31 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

So you're saying like A&D or F&L?  

Yes...exactly!  I'd go for something like 6 A&D, 8 A&D, 10 A&D...

If they do block off seats, I'm thinking they will be 3, 5, 7, 9...etc.

You're in PA, but if you happen to be flying out of EWR, get there early so you can spend some time in the Polaris Lounge...just beautiful with great food!!

OTJ - I seem to remember we will be Barcelona-London together.

My recommendation for separated seats was based solely on those seats being farthest from the aisle. Yes there will be someone between. I didn't do the calculus of which option lowers your exposure risk best - farther from the aisle vs. fewer adjacent non-family pax. It's the proverbial "exercise left for the user..."

You can always bring walkie-talkies.     😉

Thanks WWT....ultimately, in the general scheme of the whole trip as we have it planned - with 3 days of sightseeing in Rome before the Inaugural, then both cruises, then Viking's 2-day extension in London with more sightseeing, I suppose what happens for the roughly 8 hours both ways on a plane really isn't that big a deal. IF this whole thing even comes off and whether or not we decide to even do it. I constantly vacillate between getting all excited about this trip (like back in 'normal' times)  and then the next moment the reality of the virus hits and I just get this sinking, discouraging, and nervous feeling. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

Yes...exactly!  I'd go for something like 6 A&D, 8 A&D, 10 A&D...

If they do block off seats, I'm thinking they will be 3, 5, 7, 9...etc.

You're in PA, but if you happen to be flying out of EWR, get there early so you can spend some time in the Polaris Lounge...just beautiful with great food!!

I plan to go out of EWR. Viking currently has us assigned out of PHL (with the free economy itinerary) but I want to upgrade anyway and going out of EWR is cheaper no matter which seating category. I love the lounges (the few times that we've been in them anyway) BUT who knows what it might turn into? I don't suspect you'll see the open salad-bar concept as is usually the case. Same for business class itself - likely will be downgraded from what it has always been. 

So then I'm assuming you did A&D?   On the EWR outbound flight, it's completely different and yet also a 767-300. Based on seat guru, however, there are several different configurations. This is presumably the older style, before "Polaris".  So with this I'd do either A&B or K&L. Simple. I don't want to wait too long on this since a few seats are already sold on this one - which brings me back to some of my questions as to how Viking can "guarantee" seats if they're not ticketed till like 100 days or less before the trip??  And yet my TA said something that we'd be able to get seats chosen right away when this is booked?  Still confusing..

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 8.50.44 AM.png

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, travelnn said:

From reading travel and credit card blogs, Polaris is supposed to be excellent. 

This might  have some answers

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/united-biz-seats-ranked/#:~:text= Every United Business-Class Seat Ranked From Best,(787-8 and 787-9) Many of United’s most... More

Also - did you check seat guru's recommendations?

Funny you mention this link...I had come across that!  Interesting. I had looked at seat guru but not focusing on recommendations. 

3 hours ago, What was that? said:

Good info...thanks. Basically it confirms what has been said - that Polaris is not a great configuration for couples. Know what though? If things really settle down and traveling seems reasonably safe enough for us to go - let alone all the sightseeing we'd like to do, I'd be happy enough to be strapped out on the wing (with some sort of pressurized and temperature controlled suit - be a heck of a ride, wot?? )

Edited by OnTheJourney

15 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks WWT....ultimately, in the general scheme of the whole trip as we have it planned - with 3 days of sightseeing in Rome before the Inaugural, then both cruises, then Viking's 2-day extension in London with more sightseeing, I suppose what happens for the roughly 8 hours both ways on a plane really isn't that big a deal. IF this whole thing even comes off and whether or not we decide to even do it. I constantly vacillate between getting all excited about this trip (like back in 'normal' times)  and then the next moment the reality of the virus hits and I just get this sinking, discouraging, and nervous feeling. 

Wow - two days in London in early February. I've done that but it wouldn't be my first choice (I would stay a week). As far as the weather goes, good luck!

I think it is to get excited about until you have to make the decision to change your plans. We should have enough information to properly inform such a decision in late 2020, so worry about something else in the meantime. I am worried about the bare patches and dead spots in my lawn.

2 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Wow - two days in London in early February. I've done that but it wouldn't be my first choice (I would stay a week). As far as the weather goes, good luck!

I think it is to get excited about until you have to make the decision to change your plans. We should have enough information to properly inform such a decision in late 2020, so worry about something else in the meantime. I am worried about the bare patches and dead spots in my lawn.

Well, we didn't make it to London on the Sky trip - had it booked - so see what happens this time. We've been to London once before but much more to see. Nah...not a week. Trip is already 3 weeks. I prefer not to travel during the winter to begin with. Too much weather uncertainty - just another thing to worry about - having to make arrangements for someone to plow snow, etc. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

15 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

So then I'm assuming you did A&D?   On the EWR outbound flight, it's completely different and yet also a 767-300. Based on seat guru, however, there are several different configurations. This is presumably the older style, before "Polaris".  So with this I'd do either A&B or K&L. Simple. I don't want to wait too long on this since a few seats are already sold on this one - which brings me back to some of my questions as to how Viking can "guarantee" seats if they're not ticketed till like 100 days or less before the trip??  And yet my TA said something that we'd be able to get seats chosen right away when this is booked?  Still confusing..

We were in A&D...row 16 I believe.  The 767 we were on out of EWR was configured like your first graphic...not your most recent one.

All the cruise lines have deals with the airlines where seats are held without actually ticketing.  I know Princess eZAir doesn't ticket until 45 days out.  Up until 45 days you can change flights or cancel air with no penalty.  Some airlines will let you select seats on non-ticketed flights, some won't.

Edited by -Lew-

4 minutes ago, What was that? said:

We should have enough information to properly inform such a decision in late 2020, so worry about something else in the meantime. I am worried about the bare patches and dead spots in my lawn.

Love the attitude!!! Indeed, always something else - far more immediate - to be concerned about. 

2 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

We were in A&D...row 16 I believe.

All the cruise lines have deals with the airlines where seats are held without actually ticketing.  I know Princess eZAir doesn't ticket until 45 days out.  Up until 45 days you can change flights or cancel air with no penalty.  Some airlines will let you select seats on non-ticketed flights, some won't.

With so fewer seats in B-class, how does the cruise line know that they have guaranteed seats booked, given that anyone can go on expedia and book any of these seats at any time??  Or does it work like a travel company booking a block of rooms at a hotel? I would not be happy about us winding up on opposite sides of the business class compartment. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

10 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

We were in A&D...row 16 I believe.

I like this combination....always great to get advice from people who have done the exact same thing you're thinking of doing.  

Man, we're having fun now.....lol   😃

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

With so fewer seats in B-class, how does the cruise line know that they have guaranteed seats booked, given that anyone can go on expedia and book any of these seats at any time??  Or does it work like a travel company booking a block of rooms at a hotel? 

The cruise lines give so much business to the airlines that it's worth it for them to hold the seats.  I guess the airlines know if they get commitment 45 days out it works for them.

With Princess eZAir I can book the flights myself online after the cruise is booked.  I provide frequent flyer numbers, Known Traveler numbers, and seat selection.  I'm provided with a record locator number.  I immediately go to the airline's website and my info is there.  Sometimes the seat selection doesn't make it over, so I select seats on the airline's site.  It's a pretty good system.

11 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

The 767 we were on out of EWR was configured like your first graphic...not your most recent one.

Huh..interesting. Well, I'm just going by what United is showing me - should be accurate, although never know when they change planes. And, with a COVID situation, who knows what they will actually wind up doing with the seating.