There will be a buffet on Royal Caribbean ships when cruises resume

Hi

According to Royal Caribbean Global Vice President Culinary, Dining & Beverage, Linken D'Souza the buffets wont go away but I was wondering how this is going to work.

Edited by mcatmcat
  • Like 2

I'm wondering if they'll do something similar to what friends experienced at an all inclusive resort in Cancun last week. They said with cool things like desserts, salads, and even some hot foods like the carving station they had plastic covered pre-filled dishes. For some of the other items staff would give you the quantity you asked for on a dish similar to a cafeteria. 

• Like 1

We just stayed in a couple of hotels in Australia and had completely buffet breakfast.

All cold items where on a plate as a serving wrapped in plastic wrap. They were in a display as a usual buffet. Cold drinks where in a cup covered in plastic wrap.

Hot items had to be ordered through a waiter and where quickly delivered from the kitchen.

I suppose it could be along those lines.

• Like 1

It could be similar to some of the higher end vegas buffets where servings are put on small individual plates and a server hands it to you at the buffet line.  Also, Salads will be strictly "Tutti" style from now on.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

What is meant by titzi 

How does tutti style work?

Made to order salads in the MDR.  You stand in line and pick what you want on the salad and they mix and toss it for you in a bowl.  Also, ships that have the Park Cafe will have made to order Salads.

From the spike in covid that we have been seeing as restaurants and bars open, Buffets seem to be the way to go as long as social distancing and staff serving are in effect. Take out service for restaurants has always been available throughout the pandemic and the numbers have dropped.  It's only now that we are seeing spikes from states that have allowed indoor seating and indoor bars to open.  NYC has postponed indoor seating.  From where I'm sitting I see the MDR, theaters and bars to be the issue with spreading the virus.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

From the spike in covid that we have been seeing as restaurants and bars open, Buffets seem to be the way to go as long as social distancing and staff serving are in effect. Take out service for restaurants has always been available throughout the pandemic and the numbers have dropped.  It's only now that we are seeing spikes from states that have allowed indoor seating and indoor bars to open.  NYC has postponed indoor seating.  From where I'm sitting I see the MDR, theaters and bars to be the issue with spreading the virus.

I agree!  The only issue I see with buffet at windjammer or anywhere would be the lines and people not social distancing.   We have all met up with those people that dont follow simple rules before and during this pandemic.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

They will probably have staff put the food on your plate just as they do when there is a noro outbreak on the ships.

Probably, but perhaps they will require them to wear gloves. I've seen staff on Royal that are less meticulous about sanitation that most guests.   

I do not believe modern cruise ships have the capacity to have everyone eat in the MDR without having a buffet.  I may be wrong since this is just an opinion.  I am certain that what we have experienced with Noro will lead the way for the future.  I would love to see something like this from the 50's as a new venue!

automats.jpg

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

I do not believe modern cruise ships have the capacity to have everyone eat in the MDR without having a buffet.  I may be wrong since this is just an opinion.  I am certain that what we have experienced with Noro will lead the way for the future.  I would love to see something like this from the 50's as a new venue!

automats.jpg

Really? Spend thousands of dollars on a cruise to eat food that has been sitting around in an automat?

• Like 3

I've seen some videos from Wynn that I like.

First, you can view the food, from a distance.

Then your are presented a menu and you order.  The waiter keys in your selections which are transmitted and runners bring them to your table (on small plates) almost immediately.  Periodically the waiter returns and this whole process is repeated.

I really liked this process better than a regular buffet.😃😁

Just drove from NJ to Omaha and back.  NJ, Pa, Oh, Ind everyone in masks.  Ill was 50%.  By Iowa no masks and full breakfast buffet was open at Hampton Inn including self-serve eggs and waffles.  Seemed bizarre.  Asked hotel mgr who said Iowa governor gave permission.  On way back Marriott in Pa only had prepackaged cereal, yogurt and mini-muffins.  That mgr said orders from corporate were to take situation very seriously.  

3 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

automats.jpg

Yuck! 🤢

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mafig said:

I've seen some videos from Wynn that I like.

First, you can view the food, from a distance.

Then your are presented a menu and you order.  The waiter keys in your selections which are transmitted and runners bring them to your table (on small plates) almost immediately.  Periodically the waiter returns and this whole process is repeated.

I really liked this process better than a regular buffet.😃😁

That sounds much more labor intensive than having a server put on your plate whatever you indicate that you want.

• Like 2

They will meter people into the buffet to minimize crowds. And serve you (vs self serve). They do this any time there is noro on board, so it is something they are prepared for (but not necessarily staffed for). They will remove free standing tables and close every other booth. 

What's being described in many of the posts here is the buffet on a HAL ship.  Everything that is self serve is already plated.  Salads are "tutti" style.  Sushi is pre-plated, also.  Everything else is plated (or bowled) by the staff and handed to you.  I love HAL buffets.  They also have cooking stations directly behind the food serving area, so they are constantly cooking the food and moving it fresh to the serving area.

2 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Just drove from NJ to Omaha and back.  NJ, Pa, Oh, Ind everyone in masks.  Ill was 50%.  By Iowa no masks and full breakfast buffet was open at Hampton Inn including self-serve eggs and waffles.  Seemed bizarre.  Asked hotel mgr who said Iowa governor gave permission.  On way back Marriott in Pa only had prepackaged cereal, yogurt and mini-muffins.  That mgr said orders from corporate were to take situation very seriously.  

We have friends living in Westchester County NY who have family in Omaha and go there frequently.They said essentially the same thing re Iowa .

On 7/1/2020 at 7:58 PM, mcatmcat said:

Hi

According to Royal Caribbean Global Vice President Culinary, Dining & Beverage, Linken D'Souza the buffets wont go away but I was wondering how this is going to work.

Turn the ladles and tongs 180 degrees.