There will be a buffet on Royal Caribbean ships when cruises resume

On 7/5/2020 at 5:21 PM, Ocean Boy said:

No idea how I've survived this many cruises eating in the Windjammer and never been sick.😏

Me too.  Never had a problem with food, sanitation, or feeling cramped

• Like 2

I will always find it funny when people think buffets will ever go away on mass-market cruise ships for any reason. There really is no better way to serve thousands of people, and it's what they want.

Worst-case scenario, how it transfers from the ship to the person is the only thing that may modify.

20 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

On CNBC yesterday Fain said the buffet will absolutely be a part of cruising when sailing resumes.  He punted on details to the new advisory panel but speculated that crew could just man stations and do the serving

Imagine that, just what many of us have been saying. Hopefully, those that want the disgusting, germ infested buffet to go away won't be too disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Imagine that, just what many of us have been saying. Hopefully, those that want the disgusting, germ infested buffet to go away won't be too disappointed.

If I knew where most of my food had been/come from, I would probably starve. Better not to think about it. I've made it this long...:-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Doesn't HAL do this already? I remember having to point at things to have a crew member make a salad or stir fry. 

Even RC does it in the MDR on sea days. Tutti Salad. 🥗 Nothing new. The old normal.

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

On CNBC yesterday Fain said the buffet will absolutely be a part of cruising when sailing resumes.  He punted on details to the new advisory panel but speculated that crew could just man stations and do the serving

At full capacity of the ship and without wanting to invest big money on revolutionizing the buffet the best best option is all stations served by crew, what they still need to improve on is that food will be covered by glass and as long as the pandemic is around, Masks to be worn in Windjammer at all times and only to be taken of one seated at a table.

18 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

At full capacity of the ship and without wanting to invest big money on revolutionizing the buffet the best best option is all stations served by crew, what they still need to improve on is that food will be covered by glass and as long as the pandemic is around, Masks to be worn in Windjammer at all times and only to be taken of one seated at a table.

Once again, presenting speculation as fact.

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

They will be installing replicators in the Windjammer. Prototype shown below. Tea, earl grey, hot.

NASAs_Star_Trek_Replicator_Challenge-b20

Oooh, ice cream...

real-life-star-trek-replicator-prepares-

Edited by Pratique
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am using common sense and not relying myself on "fake news". What I mentioned in my post was my own oppinion and would be the most sensible way to operate the Buffet. Wearing the maks as long as COVID is around is unforunately a must to keep the pandemic under control.

27 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

I am using common sense and not relying myself on "fake news". What I mentioned in my post was my own oppinion and would be the most sensible way to operate the Buffet. Wearing the maks as long as COVID is around is unforunately a must to keep the pandemic under control.

If wearing a mask is a must to keep the infection under control then it is still too dangerous to be on a ship in the first place. There is some common sense for you and it isn't based in fake news.

How can you possibly think masks need to be worn at all times in the Windjammer (except when at your table) and not think the same thing about the rest of the ship... except when in your cabin?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Germs keep us healthy. 

I always thought it was practicing medicine that caused my immune system to be so competent. But on second thought maybe it is because of all those Windjammer meals.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Even RC does it in the MDR on sea days. Tutti Salad. 🥗 Nothing new. The old normal.

I knew that. But what I was referring to was the buffet on HAL was always served by a crew member, not just in the MDR. There was no self serve at all except some pre-made sandwiches that were prewrapped. 

Even breakfast...wanted eggs - pass your plate under the partition. Bacon? Same thing. 

This was about 8 years ago so I might not be remembering everything correctly. 

1 hour ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Doesn't HAL do this already? I remember having to point at things to have a crew member make a salad or stir fry. 

Yes they do.  We were onboard HAL their last week of sailing (March 8-15).  First couple days 80% of the buffet was served by staff.  Once the virus fears were sinking it went to 100%.  Worked just fine, spent little to no time in line the whole week.

It was a great cruise.  We only missed one port and that was due to weather not covid 🙂

23 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Yes they do.  We were onboard HAL their last week of sailing (March 8-15).  First couple days 80% of the buffet was served by staff.  Once the virus fears were sinking it went to 100%.  Worked just fine, spent little to no time in line the whole week.

It was a great cruise.  We only missed one port and that was due to weather not covid 🙂

Thanks for jogging my memory.  It did take a little getting used to. I loved the selection of juices in the morning. There were about 12 different kinds. They deep fry the bacon. They dished that out too. Prevented me from taking a whole pound of it. It was delish.

I didn't like the premade sandwiches at noon. I prefer more stuff in them and there was no way to add more. But there was sushi every day at noon!

passenger points to whatever he/she wants, and a staff member puts it on your plate.

Here in Norway normal buffets will be allowed from July 15th. Interesting to see if the Color Line cruise ferry will follow suit. Hurtigruten doesn't offer buffets as far as I know... 

Edited by tsundet

11 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

But it's OK to mention all inclusives, land based restaurants and bars, airports and Hurtigruten. 

Got it.

Take a chill pill.  You didn't notice the winking emoji? :classic_rolleyes: Moving along...

• Haha 1