EU Healthy Gateways advice fr restarting cruises

Cathygh

I am so need of a holiday I would cruise under almost any circumstances, as long as we can get off to see the ports. I have spent the whole of furlough creating a website (the most frustrating thing I have ever done) and doing umpteen webinars on using social media etc in order to get my shop through to the other side of covid . Now I'm back at work in the real world  I  need a rest already. First world problems!

Cathy

• Like 2

My niece is a junior part of the Oxford University vaccine programme. From what she tells me they are becoming increasingly confident it will work.  As you may have seen they have an agreement with Astrazeneca to produce the vaccine and governments are funding producing vast quantities of the vaccine in advance of the end of the clinical trials. All being well it should be available in the Autumn and hopefully enough people will have been vaccinated by Christmas to produce herd immunity.

She says that even if the Oxford one does not work many other groups are working on a vaccine, and is fairly sure at least one will work. However they are all behind Oxford and their vaccines probably would not be ready until later in 2021.

With a degree of realistic hope I have cancelled my October cruise but hoping to go on one next March. I would not be keen on what the EU and CDC propose for cruises. Sounds more regimented than I want for a holiday.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, madmacs said:

My niece is a junior part of the Oxford University vaccine programme. From what she tells me they are becoming increasingly confident it will work.  As you may have seen they have an agreement with Astrazeneca to produce the vaccine and governments are funding producing vast quantities of the vaccine in advance of the end of the clinical trials. All being well it should be available in the Autumn and hopefully enough people will have been vaccinated by Christmas to produce herd immunity.

She says that even if the Oxford one does not work many other groups are working on a vaccine, and is fairly sure at least one will work. However they are all behind Oxford and their vaccines probably would not be ready until later in 2021.

With a degree of realistic hope I have cancelled my October cruise but hoping to go on one next March. I would not be keen on what the EU and CDC propose for cruises. Sounds more regimented than I want for a holiday.

You may be advised to be a bit careful as she may be covered by confidentiality. Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

You may be advised to be a bit careful as she may be covered by confidentiality. Just saying.

She is - that is why I just said about being optimistic. The other information is in the public domain

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chrisdriving said:

Who's up for having a rushed thru Vaccine injected into them?

After you i think,no i insist.:classic_smile:

I'd gladly take the Oxford vaccine (haven't done enough reading into the others yet). It's based on a vaccine that's already had lots of safety tests. Life is full of risks and I'd take one if it meant life might get back to normal (it could be more of a risk not to have the vaccine). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I'd gladly take the Oxford vaccine (haven't done enough reading into the others yet). It's based on a vaccine that's already had lots of safety tests. Life is full of risks and I'd take one if it meant life might get back to normal (it could be more of a risk not to have the vaccine). 

Me too as long as it's free😁

• Like 1

Are the big ferries between England and Ireland operating? How are they handling the crisis? Have they implemented social distancing or even some of the restrictions contained in the EU Healthy Gateways report re passenger ships.?  Couple of trips I have done on the Irish Ferries, they were always packed.

Edited by NSWP

On 7/4/2020 at 10:09 AM, Cathygh said:

I am so need of a holiday I would cruise under almost any circumstances, as long as we can get off to see the ports. I have spent the whole of furlough creating a website (the most frustrating thing I have ever done) and doing umpteen webinars on using social media etc in order to get my shop through to the other side of covid . Now I'm back at work in the real world  I  need a rest already. First world problems!

Cathy

I read in the press recently that a cruise line (not P&O) which was about to recommence business planned to "discourage" independent shore visits in favour of organised excursions. How they would do this was not made clear. Presumably the aim is to minimise contact and potential infection between passengers and the local populations.

20 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I read in the press recently that a cruise line (not P&O) which was about to recommence business planned to "discourage" independent shore visits in favour of organised excursions. How they would do this was not made clear. Presumably the aim is to minimise contact and potential infection between passengers and the local populations.

It would also depend on what the cruise ports allow the passengers to do or where they are allowed to go.  We were on a non infected ship in Feb and ports were not acting as they usually do.  I will not go into the full story, but we have all heard various stories.

32 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Don't be silly, Gary's not old enough for any Warner  clients to remember.:classic_blink:

PS Can we have a tin hat emoji please?

Strangely the take that tribute group we saw there went down well. I heard an interview with Chris Evans when he started his radio 2 show. He said his target audience is 60 years old and the music that they listened to in their 20's was Spandau ballet, Gary Newman etc. Most of the Des O'Connor groupies are 106 now,  😁. We go to Warner's , but only when they have a sale on.

On 7/4/2020 at 7:09 PM, zap99 said:

Me too as long as it's free😁

It will be interesting to see if a vaccine is produced whether it will become effectively mandatory. 

Traditionally, vaccines have always been optional and a safety/civil liberties/medical line used by some who are reticent about this step.

However, given how readily changes to civil liberties have been imposed around lockdown as an essential public health measure, I wouldn't be surprised to see any vaccine strongly recommend up to and including mandated. 

Possibly, some sort of other liberty / freedom is curtailed if people say no?  Just a thought?

35 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

It will be interesting to see if a vaccine is produced whether it will become effectively mandatory. 

Traditionally, vaccines have always been optional and a safety/civil liberties/medical line used by some who are reticent about this step.

However, given how readily changes to civil liberties have been imposed around lockdown as an essential public health measure, I wouldn't be surprised to see any vaccine strongly recommend up to and including mandated. 

Possibly, some sort of other liberty / freedom is curtailed if people say no?  Just a thought?

I saw something about 3-4 weeks ago saying Gov were not intending to make it compulsory, but as you say may be needed for certain things and embarkation of a cruise ship comes to mind.  Decisions can always be changed of course.

1 hour ago, No pager thank you said:

It should be mandatory and recipients given a certificate. Those that don't have one on being stopped by the police should be locked up. No certificate ?. Off to the buffet for you 😂.

From Paul Ludlow on Twitter 

half an hour ago

We acknowledge the FCO’s guidance and P&O Cruises had already extended the pause in operations for all sailings up to October 15, 2020. (1/5)

Our current focus is to work in partnership with public health agencies at the highest level as well as Department for Transport; EU Healthy Gateways and CLIA, the industry governing body. (2/5)

We will follow applicable guidelines to further enhance our already stringent measures to keep our guests and crew healthy and well and we will not resume sailings until this framework is in place. (3/5)
This will include rigorous protocols pre-boarding, on ship and in the destinations we visit. (4/5)

Confidence in cruising is strong and we are seeing increasing demand from our guests, who we look forward to welcoming back on board when the time is right. (5/5)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

From Paul Ludlow on Twitter 

half an hour ago

Confidence in cruising is strong and we are seeing increasing demand from our guests, who we look forward to welcoming back on board when the time is right. (5/5)

Increasing demand from his guests for their refunds?😂 

As for "confidence in cruising is strong", what planet is he from?

Edited by AnnieC

I tend to agree but thought posters might like to see the message from The Top

I guess he needs to say something and it wouldn’t be good to do a Private Frazer-

“We’re all doomed”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

I tend to agree but thought posters might like to see the message from The Top

I guess he needs to say something and it wouldn’t be good to do a Private Frazer-

“We’re all doomed”

I have confidence that the cruise industry will do their best to keep guests safe. The RCI panel of experts in a food start. We will decide once procedures are available to examine. Untill then nobody outside of a few insiders know. Doom and gloom and woe is Me is a ongoing whine.