Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
matymil

Balcony gratuities

Recommended Posts

I saw on a cruise news page that NCL was going to start covering gratuities for anyone who has booked a balcony stateroom or higher? I cant seem to find it anywhere else though. Anyone have anymore info on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, matymil said:

I saw on a cruise news page that NCL was going to start covering gratuities for anyone who has booked a balcony stateroom or higher? I cant seem to find it anywhere else though. Anyone have anymore info 

 

 

 It is right on the main ncl page. At least it is on the US page. You can click through and book the offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s the daily service charge that is covered for guests 1 and 2 only. If you choose beverage package or dining package you still are required to pay gratuities on those packages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget, that Daily Service Charge is "Discretionary", so what they are offering to cover is something that you do not have to pay anyhow, totally optional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

Don't forget, that Daily Service Charge is "Discretionary", so what they are offering to cover is something that you do not have to pay anyhow, totally optional.

well that didn't take long........   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, esm54687 said:

well that didn't take long........   

It's not something I do, nor encourage, just letting someone know thier rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

It's not something I do, nor encourage, just letting someone know thier rights.

If it's a promo, which is the OP's question, there are no rights to be concerned about..... seems your post was to stir the DSC frenzy. IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, esm54687 said:

If it's a promo, which is the OP's question, there are no rights to be concerned about..... seems your post was to stir the DSC frenzy. IMHO

Not at all, just pointing out the Promo is smoke a mirrors, not a real money saving Promo. Now if they covered Gratuities on the packages, that is a savings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is for new bookings only.  If you have a balcony already booked, check if you can add it to your booking or if you have to rebook and your price and other amenities stay the same.  Sometimes the prices go up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beer Belly said:

Not at all, just pointing out the Promo is smoke a mirrors, not a real money saving Promo. Now if they covered Gratuities on the packages, that is a savings. 

ok...... 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

Now if they covered Gratuities on the packages, that is a savings. 

PCL is doing this.  Not my 1st choice for a cruise line but when room and drink package gratuities were included I jumped on the offer.  I couldn't beat the price anywhere. 

 

I think NCL is just trying to get cruisers to book the higher cost rooms to show  higher value to future cruises booked to gain a better monetary future outlook for them and investors.   Just like the balcony for the price of an oceanview  and the oceanview prices were just raised to the balcony price (or so it seemed on the cruises I looked at)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MSC has done the balcony for the price of an OV, but they did it right. They lowered the balcony to the real OV price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

It's not something I do, nor encourage, just letting someone know thier rights.

Incorrect. Your post obviously promotes cheating the hard working crew from the little they get from the DSC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect. Your post obviously promotes cheating the hard working crew from the little they get from the DSC. 

I have never, ever, nor intend to remove the DSC from any cruise, or any vacation I take. I also tip generously to those I interact with. Even if the check includes a 20% gratuity, I always add 20% cash at the table, $5 every other drink order at the bars, and when being served at the pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

I have never, ever, nor intend to remove the DSC from any cruise, or any vacation I take. I also tip generously to those I interact with. Even if the check includes a 20% gratuity, I always add 20% cash at the table, $5 every other drink order at the bars, and when being served at the pool.

Does not negate the fact that you are promoting cheating the crew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect. Your post obviously promotes cheating the hard working crew from the little they get from the DSC. 

Incorrect. I love the gult trip, though. DSC is discretionary. That means the customer is able to adjust up or down based on service received. If you feel service levels were subpar, then you adjust downward. By not adjusting downward, what is "obvious" is that the only person you are "cheating" is.....yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Does not negate the fact that you are promoting cheating the crew. 

I never promoted the practice. Let's just let it be. Just wondering, do you think NCL makes up the loss from the Promo to hard working, behind the scenes crew ?

Edited by Beer Belly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 10:18 AM, EllieinNJ said:

I think this is for new bookings only.  If you have a balcony already booked, check if you can add it to your booking or if you have to rebook and your price and other amenities stay the same.  Sometimes the prices go up.

Just called and it only took 5 minutes to change exciting reservation.

 

Price dropped $220.00, but gave up $200 onboard credit and gained prepaid tips for 2($217.00?)!

 

Presidents Week cruise keep getting cheaper!😀

 

$700.00 cheaper then 2-3 years ago for same cruise, same port and ship, plus get all 4. Only had 2 last time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did a mock booking for 2 ppl on the jade 13 night Caribbean cruise feb 1,2021. The best inside cabin comes to $3200 cheaper than the worst balcony. This is both with all the perks. I think I will pick an inside and pay my own gratuities with the $3200 I save.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at the cruise that I have currently booked. If you go through the "promotion" the cruise is $1239 but you just price the cruise alone it starts at $859.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, azbaby8062 said:

I looked at the cruise that I have currently booked. If you go through the "promotion" the cruise is $1239 but you just price the cruise alone it starts at $859.

Shhhh, NCL doesn't want anyone looking behind the curtain.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Shhhh, NCL doesn't want anyone looking behind the curtain.....

I checked the new promotional prices today for a February 2021 cruise which we booked in April 2020.  If we re-book to get the "free" DSC, our price for the same category of room goes up by $120 pp.  If I calculate correctly, the DSC for a 7 day cruise would be about $110, so they actually would be charging us more for the DSC than we already were scheduled to pay.  Oh, the new offer also includes double Latitudes points, so effectively we would be buying seven extra points at about $1.00 per point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, hladygirl said:

Just did a mock booking for 2 ppl on the jade 13 night Caribbean cruise feb 1,2021. The best inside cabin comes to $3200 cheaper than the worst balcony. This is both with all the perks. I think I will pick an inside and pay my own gratuities with the $3200 I save.😀

9 ports? I wonder why a Balcony cabin cost more? Kind of like Alaska?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...