EU Cruising Requirements

I wonder how many they could fit into the theatre with the 1.5 metre distancing and who is going to police all of this?

I know the no saving of more then one seat in the theatre is not enforced.

And towels will be removed from unoccupied deck chairs after an hour (whatever time) is rarely enforced either.

Most staff don't want to deal with these things and I can't blame them for it.

9 hours ago, sewgood said:

I wonder how many they could fit into the theatre with the 1.5 metre distancing and who is going to police all of this?

I know the no saving of more then one seat in the theatre is not enforced.

And towels will be removed from unoccupied deck chairs after an hour (whatever time) is rarely enforced either.

Most staff don't want to deal with these things and I can't blame them for it.

How will they control the pool loungers that have to be sanitised after someone leaves it and before anyone else can use it.

1 person at a time in a lift ? I don’t think so . Imagine the lift rage .😡

Cruising under the outlined conditions would be more like a detention ,rather than a vacation .

It's all well and nice for the powers that be to set out whatever rules they want, the key to success is making rules that people who are paying will follow. No one will pay if the experience feels more like a trip to the crowbar hotel. The last thing the cruise industry needs is to throw a party and invite everyone to pay thousands of dollars to come, just to have everyone say "uh not so much, thanks for the invite but no".

Edited by Blackduck59

It will be a nightmare with all those restrictions.  I think I have retired from cruising.  Potential pax will not cop it, I see half empty ships.  The cruise companies will not be able to comply with all those requirements.

Edited by NSWP

Reading the EU Healthy Guidelines report, I did not see 'tendering' mentioned in there.  We all know how we are packed in like the proverbial sardines on those tender boats going to and from the shore.   How the heck are the cruise lines ever going move all the pax with social distance conditions/reduced capacity?  With the big ships on the seas now, it will be a near impossible task to take 5000 pax off.  Add to that passage of pax on shorex in buses, large and small, with reduced vehicle capacity, the mind boggles.

Perhaps the cruise lines would have to avoid tender ports for a while. I think the majority of the Mediterranean ports are docking ports. We only had two tender ports out of the 14 ports we visited on our Med cruise - Kotor and Santorini.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Reading the EU Healthy Guidelines report, I did not see 'tendering' mentioned in there.  We all know how we are packed in like the proverbial sardines on those tender boats going to and from the shore.   How the heck are the cruise lines ever going move all the pax with social distance conditions/reduced capacity?  With the big ships on the seas now, it will be a near impossible task to take 5000 pax off.  Add to that passage of pax on shorex in buses, large and small, with reduced vehicle capacity, the mind boggles.

I found this from their document,

Interim advice for restarting cruise ship operations after lifting restrictive measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"If tender boats or other means of transport are used to move passengers, physical distancing measures and protocols for frequent cleaning and disinfection should be implemented in line with on board procedures. Cleaning and disinfection of frequently touched surfaces of transport, including tender boats, should be conducted between each use.
While travelling in groups, it should be ensured that passenger groups maintain physical distance from other tour groups.
Cruise lines may consider making available appropriate PPE (e.g. face masks) to passengers on excursions and should refrain from organising visits to crowded areas during the pandemic."

Very difficult as you say even for a half full ship. They are recommending short cruises to start with.

"It is suggested that a gradual approach to restarting cruise ship operations should be considered. When resuming operations, cruise lines may initially consider using itineraries of a short duration (e.g. 3 to 7 days) and to perhaps limit the number of port visits in the itinerary."

Coral Expeditions have also released their Covid-19 plan for their cruises. 5 step plan below. Although they only operate small ships it could be a sign of what the larger companies might introduce.

1. LEVEL ONE SCREENING: VISIT YOUR GP Your GP will be asked to complete the detailed questionnaire which Coral Expeditions will have supplied to you. This Level One medical should be conducted seven days prior to the departure of your expedition. Once completed, the questionnaire will be sent to Coral Expeditions’ medical practitioners to complete at Level Two screening prior to boarding.

2. REDUCE RISK: SELF-ISOLATE BEFORE YOUR CRUISE We ask that all guests and crew self-isolate to the extent possible between their GP visit and arriving at the departure point of their cruise. We suggest the following approach: • Conduct only essential activities outside of your home • Limit your exposure to indoor public spaces or transport • Avoid large social gatherings.

3. TRAVEL SAFE TO YOUR DEPARTURE PORT To reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 as you travel to your cruise departure port, our recommendations include wearing a mask whilst travelling in public transport and in terminals, wash hands regularly, and physical distance in public spaces.

4. LEVEL TWO SCREENING & CLEARANCE TO TRAVEL Guests must arrive at the departure port 24 hours prior to departure. The Level Two health screening will be performed by a Coral Expeditions medical practitioner at the departure port for your cruise 12-24 hours before departure. We will designate a venue for pre-boarding check in and health screening, which will provide both physical distancing and privacy. Your pre-boarding health screening will complete your health questionnaire and include a COVID-19 PCR test. This test involves some small discomfort in gathering a nose and throat sample, but lasts only a matter of moments. Results will be lab-tested and confidentially provided to the medical practitioner and the individual. A negative test will be required for travel for both guests and crew. At check-in guests will also sign a travel declaration acknowledging completion of pre-screening steps. If there are any significant health concerns raised at Level One or Level Two screening, guest/s will be asked to postpone their expedition or a refund offered if required. Health concerns include a positive result on the COVID-19 test or detected symptoms.

5. GROUP TRANSFERS TO VESSEL To maintain the safe travel environment, we will provide transfers to the vessel for all guests. These transfers will undergo hygiene and sterilisation protocols as required, to maintain your safety at all times.

1 hour ago, Patois said:

VISIT YOUR GP Your GP will be asked to complete the detailed questionnaire which Coral Expeditions will have supplied to you.

Would this open up the GP to any kind of legal liability if they perform a misdiagnosis?

I would think that the cruise line would have to offer some kind of waiver before anybody would sign it.

Interesting. 

Presume the health checks will be a personal expense?

Medical practitioner can only document what they see/find on the date of the consult, 7 days prior to travel. We do not know what the form will require to be answered.

Perhaps current meds/allergies/recent ops/illness.

Some cruise lines have asked for relevant med history before, to be sealed and only opened in an emergency.

Wonder if they test again during the cruise?

It is a start to ensure people display minimal risk factors to cruise. Whatever they be deemed to be.

Nevertheless nothing is risk free health wise at any age.  

On 7/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5434/

Perhaps after reading all these requirements cruising will not be so attractive. Don’t like the idea of separating those over 65 from activities .

I wouldn't be surprised if many of those over 65s are not allowed on at all.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't think it will come to that. Over 65s are a large part of the cruising market - they have the time to cruise and very often have more money than younger people with children.

If they contract the virus, a larger proportion of older people become very ill or die, but I don't think it has been proven that they are more likely to spread the virus. On a cruise ship, maybe it evens out - older people are more likely to retire to bed early instead of mixing in crowds BUT they are more likely to get into a crowded lift rather than walk up the stairs.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Make the cruises for age 65 and over. Isn't it the young ones spreading it (the virus) about?😉

33 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Make the cruises for age 65 and over. Isn't it the young ones spreading it (the virus) about?😉

In Britain they have Saga Cruises , a cruise line for over  50’s.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

In Britain they have Saga Cruises , a cruise line for over  50’s.

My relos in UK have done them, they have a couple of their own ships too and a few hotels and do coach tours and travel insurance, it is a big operation is SAGA.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

90% of the cruisers out of school holiday times would be over 65, particularly on the Pacific Island and NZ cruises - no flights.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

If they contract the virus, a larger proportion of older people become very ill or die, but I don't think it has been proven that they are more likely to spread the virus.

It is those reasons the cruise lines would run scared.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

It is those reasons the cruise lines would run scared.

You are not wrong there Mic.  Make sure those Vics don't sneak into the ACT.  The Vic/NSW border closing at midnight.👨‍✈️

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

90% of the cruisers out of school holiday times would be over 65, particularly on the Pacific Island and NZ cruises - no flights.

Perhaps but that wont stop the lines from restricting people with ongoing medical conditions which would be heightened with Covid from coming aboard.

Some of the new rules seem to have no basis for implementation. Separate the over 65s? Why. Close the indoor pools? How are they different from the outdoor ones? Like I have said many times, the key is make a set of rules that people who are paying for the experience will be willing to follow. Until then they are better off to keep the ships idle.