Its time to move on from 2020

It is time to move on to 2021 and stop this 30 day "maybe" charade.  No one has been able to accurately forecast the future. If the last 4 months have taught us anything it is uncertainty will reign supreme for the near future.  All the cruise lines seem to be continuing to spin their wheels and burning cash to try to start up tomorrow.  Between travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, capacity limitations and everything else every line continues to shoot at a moving target.  Well, the only ones continuing to be hit by those shots is us!  We had vacations, trips of a lifetime, precious memories to be made all dashed over the last 4 months.  Many have shifted to Oct, Nov or Dec or continue(like we do)to hope our 2020 cruises will happen.  Many of us here have a very strong passion for cruising and want to get back to sea in the worst way.  It just seems like Royal can step up and take the lead and focus on a 2021 start up.  Give us a detailed plan on what they can and are doing to make cruising "safe" in the Covid era.  Cruising will return.  Why force it and fail.  Plan it, work the plan and spend the time and energy to let us all know what they will do and tell us what we will need to do so we can resume planning for a cruise that should happen.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

It is time to move on to 2021 and stop this 30 day "maybe" charade.  No one has been able to accurately forecast the future. If the last 4 months have taught us anything it is uncertainty will reign supreme for the near future.  All the cruise lines seem to be continuing to spin their wheels and burning cash to try to start up tomorrow.  Between travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, capacity limitations and everything else every line continues to shoot at a moving target.  Well, the only ones continuing to be hit by those shots is us!  We had vacations, trips of a lifetime, precious memories to be made all dashed over the last 4 months.  Many have shifted to Oct, Nov or Dec or continue(like we do)to hope our 2020 cruises will happen.  Many of us here have a very strong passion for cruising and want to get back to sea in the worst way.  It just seems like Royal can step up and take the lead and focus on a 2021 start up.  Give us a detailed plan on what they can and are doing to make cruising "safe" in the Covid era.  Cruising will return.  Why force it and fail.  Plan it, work the plan and spend the time and energy to let us all know what they will do and tell us what we will need to do so we can resume planning for a cruise that should happen.

The cruise lines have numerous contracts with service providers to fuel the ships, dock them at ports, load food and so on. Most likely there are penalties for breaking these agreements without cause such as no sail orders from the CDC or a Port Authority.

I thought the same thing for awhile, why not just announce a Suspension Until Further Notice and quit taking bookings and having to deal with all the refunds.

I agree, but there are no guarantees that cruises will sail in January 2021 or any specific date. That would be another “guesstimate” by the cruise lines. I am starting to think the CDC may not allow cruising to / from the US until there is a vaccine and will require those wanting to cruise to have proof they have received the vaccine. I realize that may be months (or never), but the CDC does not appear to be in any hurry to provide guidance and requirements for cruises to start again.

I think the cruise lines will continue canceling 30-45 days at a time for 2 reasons - 1. They need the cash flow from final payments and new deposits and canceling until Jan 2021 would cause a huge amount of refund requests at once 2. They don’t want to cancel for 5-6 months, then have things be much better in 2-3 months and have canceled cruises that could have sailed

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JT1962 said:

I realize that may be months (or never), but the CDC does not appear to be in any hurry to provide guidance and requirements for cruises to start again.

The guidance was provided in April and Bahamas Paradise has plans to sail in 3 weeks.

The guidance was provided in April and Bahamas Paradise has plans to sail in 3 weeks.

I must’ve missed that.. I have only seen the guidance they provided to allow crewmembers to disembark and return home. Please post the link to the guidance that they have provided for large cruise ships to sail to and from the US with passengers.

6 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I have only seen the guidance they provided to allow crewmembers to disembark and return home.

True, but one can assume that similar measures are expected for passengers once the No sail order expires.

1 hour ago, zonacruiser25 said:

You are allowing them to string you along because you have a "strong passion" and want to sail in "the worst way".   Just a thought, take control and make a decision for yourself, lift and shift your cruises into late 2021/2022 and move on.  We did, and it feels great to not be wondering about any upcoming cruises 🙂   And of course not needing to send them any money any time soon is nice too.

They might sail in a few months.  They might not.  The do not know.  Even if they do, it probably won't be fun and will be a masked, restrictive, changed experience that only the diehard addicts will want to participate in.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/bahamas-paradise-cruise-line-gets-green-approval-from-cdc.html

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/bahamas-paradise-cruises-set-to-resume-july-25.html

"At this time, Bahamas Paradise is tentatively hoping to resume sailing July 25 if the CDC’s no-sail order expires on July 24; it could be extended, however.

To receive this approval, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line met, and will meet moving forward, the following criteria:

– No confirmed cases of COVID-19 for 28 days.

– Crew members must come from a ship that had no confirmed cases of COVID-19 for 28 days.

– Land-based crew who embarked must have been immediately quarantined for 14 days.

– Cruise lines must submit signed attestation of commercial travel."

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 12.35.41 PM.png

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’ve come to believe nothing is cruising out of the US until at least 2021 and even maybe mid 2021. 

Royal will continue to book cruises and cancel inside final payment. 

M8

I said April 2021 back in March when Covid first started, no one wanted to hear that though. It's about time reality has set in that 2020 is a done deal. Last ship has sailed for 2020.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/bahamas-paradise-cruise-line-gets-green-approval-from-cdc.html

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/bahamas-paradise-cruises-set-to-resume-july-25.html

"At this time, Bahamas Paradise is tentatively hoping to resume sailing July 25 if the CDC’s no-sail order expires on July 24; it could be extended, however.

To receive this approval, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line met, and will meet moving forward, the following criteria:

– No confirmed cases of COVID-19 for 28 days.

– Crew members must come from a ship that had no confirmed cases of COVID-19 for 28 days.

– Land-based crew who embarked must have been immediately quarantined for 14 days.

– Cruise lines must submit signed attestation of commercial travel."

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 12.35.41 PM.png

Guess you failed to read this............... They got the green to take crew off the ships, not load passengers on their ships.

Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line is the first cruise line to receive a “green” approval from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), meaning its crew can disembark from ships in U.S. waters using commercial transportation.

“Meeting these criteria does not mean cruise ships can resume passenger operations,” the CDC said on its website. “We don’t have enough information at this time to say when it will be safe to resume sailing with passengers. Cruise lines may need to establish additional safety measures before sailing with passengers is permitted to resume. CDC will continue to evaluate and update its recommendations as the situation evolves.

Places like the airlines, Disney and other parks, are all announcing their policies so they can re-open....Royal Carib has said nothing....all they are doing is announcing one month at a time, coming out with FCC and other schemes, and taking new bookings just so they have some $$ to hold onto...otherwise, they cease to exist.

My opinion...its going to happen.

• Like 3

Except that now one, especially the CDC, has any idea what even tomorrow will be like.  At this rate, they might as well move the date back to August since, as I've been saying for a long time, cruising will not have any measurable impact on the global situation.

The notion of 'make cruising safe' is folly.  By now, it's just another 'compliance' measure that no one rally cares about...well, if you do care, probably cruising isn't for you.  But yes, the CDC should just issue the guidance, let the cruise lines check all the boxes and set sail.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I said April 2021 back in March when Covid first started, no one wanted to hear that though. It's about time reality has set in that 2020 is a done deal. Last ship has sailed for 2020.

I hope cruising starts up in March 2021...if so I'm booked and will be ready to go.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Guess you failed to read this............... They got the green to take crew off the ships, not load passengers on their ships.

Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line is the first cruise line to receive a “green” approval from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), meaning its crew can disembark from ships in U.S. waters using commercial transportation.

“Meeting these criteria does not mean cruise ships can resume passenger operations,” the CDC said on its website. “We don’t have enough information at this time to say when it will be safe to resume sailing with passengers. Cruise lines may need to establish additional safety measures before sailing with passengers is permitted to resume. CDC will continue to evaluate and update its recommendations as the situation evolves.

Of course I read that -- I posted the link to the article.  In the same article it stated that they were hoping to resume on July 25 if the CDC did not extend the no-sail order.  So far the CDC has not extended it.  That doesn't mean they won't.  Time will tell.  

I also posted this link:

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Jim, I believe you're half right as you are internalizing your thoughts to only the USA.

I think I'm still 1/2 right (I said September) ... we'll see in 2 months.

I feel that ships will sail this year, but not from USA and with ZERO Americans on board.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’ve come to believe nothing is cruising out of the US until at least 2021 and even maybe mid 2021. 

Royal will continue to book cruises and cancel inside final payment. 

Hi i have a two week cruise book on Marella Discovery  (ex Splendour) out of port canaveral in June 2021 a cruise of a life time for both of us with South Carolina  New York and the Quay,s for starters, as we are well past our sell by date a vaccination is needed other wise its a no no, going back to Splendour she is a lovely ship and well worth keeping and have done three cruises on her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

Jim, I believe you're half right as you are internalizing your thoughts to only the USA.

I feel that ships will sail this year, but not from USA and with ZERO Americans on board.

To re-start in September they'd have to begin crewing up soon.  Recalling crew from all around the globe will take quite a while, plus crew need to be trained for whatever new health measures they're implementing.  Crew recall is my leading indicator that cruise lines believe they're close to sailing.  

Edited by Baron Barracuda
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I hope cruising starts up in March 2021...if so I'm booked and will be ready to go.

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

Except that now one, especially the CDC, has any idea what even tomorrow will be like.  At this rate, they might as well move the date back to August since, as I've been saying for a long time, cruising will not have any measurable impact on the global situation.

The notion of 'make cruising safe' is folly.  By now, it's just another 'compliance' measure that no one rally cares about...well, if you do care, probably cruising isn't for you.  But yes, the CDC should just issue the guidance, let the cruise lines check all the boxes and set sail.

A compliance measure that NO ONE rEally cares about? If you care, cruising isn't for you? Vox populi.

Got your travel plans for tomorrow's Independence Day COVID19 rally at Mt. Rushmore. Compliance measures; no one cares. Tell that to the Arizona and Texas hospitals out of beds and supplies.

Check all the boxes and set sail? You might notice that many other countries are restricting Americans from entering - with good reason.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

I moved on months ago!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Funny you should say it that way, We have yet to sail from abroad so I guess I don't think of cruising that way. When I thought April 2021 that was just from US ports.............Don't have a clue as to when sailings out of the country would start, I would think they would still need to get a plan in force as to how to make it safe for all cruisers and crew first.............Have yet to see or read about that happening?

I know when you go into retail stores around where I live besides everyone wearing mask and such, they have built protective screens around check out counters etc.

Does anyone know if anything additional is being built on ships currently to make it more safe? I mean right now all these ships are just sitting in the oceans, has anyone heard of any construction being done on the ships to get them Covid ready to sail?

Until you hear of something like that being done, they are just going to sit in the ocean.............and no cruising for anyone anywhere!

• Like 1