What is Your Typical First Lunch on Embarkation...

BklynBoy8

Remembering old days gone by sailings the first TA on the QE2 came to mind.

We made our way from London to SO to meet the ship and boarded. Got settled and headed to lunch on the rear open pool deck and what a layout. Like a open BBQ. Hamburgers, Franks, all different salads and drinks plus desserts. I remember so well because it was a delight to experience. Had to watch not to fill up for first dinner in the Columbia Restaurant for the for time. First time I was introduced to a Jicama Salad. Like a potato but tasted like a apple. Great dressing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not typical for me, but when I sailed on Carnival Freedom--my first Carnival cruise--I learned before embarking that they had a seafood buffet on the top deck of the two deck buffet restaurant.  My stateroom could not be accessed when I embarked.  So, I took my carry-on and me to the buffet restaurant.  The lower level was somewhat chaotic.  I found the stairs that led me to the upper level.  There were few guests, empty tables, and the seafood buffet available.  No service:  all self service, except the buffet, including beverages from a dispensing type machine.  Don't remember what I ate, but I do remember that there was a nice selection of offerings including a chowder of some type.  It was a more pleasant lunch than being among the multitude on the lower deck.  

A negative?  Yes.  In order to get a dessert, one had to go down to the lower deck.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On Princess ships, if I'm lucky enough to make it onboard in time to eat in the dining room, I will have an appetizer size portion of the spinach ravioli and the salmon for my main course. There's a Grand Marnier soufflé for dessert that I'll sometimes order, but more often I'll go for the fruit plate. 

4 hours ago, endymion6942 said:

Steak in Cagneys’ on NCL ships. Whatever is available on others.

Surprised you would want a steak for lunch which we reserve for a dinner time.

We look forward to Prime Cut Meats for an elegant evening dish.

The answer would depend on the cruise line and the circumstances.   If we are on a Princess ship that has "Alfredos" our first lunch would be in that venue and likely some kind of customized pizza.  On Seabourn we would normally go to the Colonnade (their lido buffet) where there are usually some very interesting offerings.  On HAL we might head to the main dining room where there is usually an embarkation lunch (this avoids having to deal with a buffet).  For most other lines (we have been on 16 lines) it would be the lido buffet and whatever looked good at the time.

Hank

• 1 year later...