What is Your Favorite First Morning Breakfast...

BklynBoy8

On 11/3/2021 at 11:28 PM, JenniT said:

The food was disappointing and service not good at breakfast in the MDR. That was unusual. 

It does happen…bad breakfast experience in the MDR.  I’ve had many situations…some funny and some blahhh.  The last time I had breakfast in MDR on RCI I asked for poached eggs on English.  The eggs were delivered rock hard and the English weren’t even grilled…barely toasted.  I told the waiter they needed to learn how to make poached. Eggs and grill English muffins.  I simply got up and walked away while the waiter looked on in disbelief…lol.  I haven’t been back to MDR breakfast since.  I’ll do the Windjammer.  

Speaking about kippers for breakfast…lol.  I remember being on the Bremen 50 years ago and I asked for kippers.  Our waiter, Barney, made a horrible face and said No No No!   I acquiesced to Barney’s advice.  Many years later I decided to try again on MSC. and ordered kippers.  Barney was right…LOL.  I’ll stick with creamed Finnan Haddie for my breakfast fish.  

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The last time I had breakfast in MDR on RCI I asked for poached eggs on English. 

Speaking about kippers for breakfast…lol.    

CGT,

I am finding that Egg Benedict is becoming very trashy lately. Many do not respectfully don't know how to make it properly. Or even make many variations that I don't understand or agree with. The real last time was on the QM2 for first breakfast and disembarkation breakfast. It was the right way and very enjoyed.

Kippers were made to my father's liking on the QE2 and QM2. He enjoyed them and remember they were made like when he first tried them in England during the War.

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Speaking about kippers for breakfast…lol.  I remember being on the Bremen 50 years ago and I asked for kippers.  Our waiter, Barney, made a horrible face and said No No No!   I acquiesced to Barney’s advice.  Many years later I decided to try again on MSC. and ordered kippers.  Barney was right…LOL.  I’ll stick with creamed Finnan Haddie for my breakfast fish.  

Now, I am curious because of your post.  I had breakfast with a Canadian woman on Westerdam.  She ordered Kippers and clearly enjoyed them.  Bones to deal with and she knew how to do so.  I have had neither Kippers nor Finnan Haddie.  What have I missed with Kippers and have not enjoyed with Finnan Haddie?  

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT,

I am finding that Egg Benedict is becoming very trashy lately. Many do not respectfully don't know how to make it properly. Or even make many variations that I don't understand or agree with. The real last time was on the QM2 for first breakfast and disembarkation breakfast. It was the right way and very enjoyed.

Kippers were made to my father's liking on the QE2 and QM2. He enjoyed them and remember they were made like when he first tried them in England during the War.

Eggs Benedict are very popular and seldom done right.  I would rather have a nice smoked pit ham instead of the standard Canadian bacon.  The Hollandaise sauce is usually too runny.  The best egg dish I ever had was on Celebrity…Eggs Fritz Duggan.  This is 2 thin filet mignons done medium on grilled English with poached eggs and a cream sauce made with veal stock.  English muffins have to be grilled in butter and should be golden brown.  

When I was on MSC Divina I had breakfast one morning up on the pool deck when we were in a Caribbean port.  I took some bacon, potatoes and lightly toasted English muffins and went over to the man who was cooking eggs and omelettes outside by the pool..  I asked him to grill the English in butter and then finish the bacon till crisp.  I even had him finish off the potatoes in the bacon fat.  That was a great breakfast done the way I like! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Now, I am curious because of your post.  I had breakfast with a Canadian woman on Westerdam.  She ordered Kippers and clearly enjoyed them.  Bones to deal with and she knew how to do so.  I have had neither Kippers nor Finnan Haddie.  What have I missed with Kippers and have not enjoyed with Finnan Haddie?  

Trust me RK…you would not enjoy kippers.  They are boney smoked herrings with an odor that could knock a buzzard off a honey wagon!  Finnan Haddie, on the other hand, is a delicious piece of smoked haddock that is boiled in milk and then a cream sauce is made from the reduced smokey milk.  It is usually served over buttered toast points and is heavenly….just enough smoke as a perfect compliment to the cream sauce. Some variations of the recipe use cheese and onions cooked into the sauce…yummmm.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm not a fish person, so not yet enticed by any of the above.  I think I will stick with MSC's sticky buns!

Have you tried HAL's sticky buns?  If so, how do they compare?  I did not have any of those when I sailed on Meraviglia.  

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Trust me RK…you would not enjoy kippers.  They are boney smoked herrings with an odor that could knock a buzzard off a honey wagon!  Finnan Haddie, on the other hand, is a delicious piece of smoked haddock that is boiled in milk and then a cream sauce is made from the reduced smokey milk.  It is usually served over buttered toast points and is heavenly….just enough smoke as a perfect compliment to the cream sauce.

I think you are correct.  Having to deal with bones would be less than optimum for me as I start my day.  Your description of Finnan Haddie sounds like something that I would enjoy.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Have you tried HAL's sticky buns?  If so, how do they compare?  I did not have any of those when I sailed on Meraviglia.  

HAL's are excellent, too!  Similar, but I hesitate to compare them; lets just say both are yummy!

Now you've made me hungry......

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

HAL's are excellent, too!  Similar, but I hesitate to compare them; lets just say both are yummy!

Now you've made me hungry......

HAL most recently had them with nuts and a tray with no nuts?  Do you have a preference?  

11 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Nuts!  Pecans, I believe.

The two variations on Seaside were pecans, with or without cream cheese topping.

Pecans would be good.  A cream cheese topping is different than HAL's.  I remember seeing them available on Meraviglia; just too many other goodies to try on a 7 day cruise.  

Celebrity used to make a great sticky bun.  It was big and billowing dripping with the sticky sauce and nuts.  That was many years ago.  I wonder if they are still making them as good??  We had them delivered to us every morning along with croissants and brioche…heavenly.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

croissants

These are my favorite breakfast bread.  My local upscale grocery has an excellent bakery department and makes croissants that rival what I have been served on a ship.  They also carry bottles of Guava Juice.  I first discovered that juice during a HAL cruise on one of the Signature Class ships that had a wider selection of juices for breakfast.  The grocer's juice is not inexpensive:  nearly $6.00 for a large bottle.  But, I buy some croissants and a bottle of that juice and have them for breakfast.  I am "cruising".  

These are my favorite breakfast bread.  My local upscale grocery has an excellent bakery department and makes croissants that rival what I have been served on a ship.  They also carry bottles of Guava Juice.  I first discovered that juice during a HAL cruise on one of the Signature Class ships that had a wider selection of juices for breakfast.  The grocer's juice is not inexpensive:  nearly $6.00 for a large bottle.  But, I buy some croissants and a bottle of that juice and have them for breakfast.  I am "cruising".  

LOL…nothing like cultivating those good memories.  We are blessed with a wealth of good bakeries and grocery stores in my area.  I have access tod all the good fruit juices…passion fruit, guava, mango and apricot are just a few of my favorites.  All that, however, cannot equal a breakfast at sea.  There’s nothing better than the fresh baked goodies served every morning onboard ship.  Those big sticky buns are starting to get to me.

RKA,

My favorite bread which I am not sure I saw the last time on the Mary 2 but previous sailings was Pretzel Rolls. They are great as a snack I bring back to the cabin. Nothing on them just plain w salt already on them. They do taste a bit like a Three Ring.

As I have mentioned on other titles, I love Guava and in NYC we have the brand Goya which is great. Wish U could have it on board. But they have the other traditional names which number one is Cranberry. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

LOL…nothing like cultivating those good memories.  We are blessed with a wealth of good bakeries and grocery stores in my area.  I have access tod all the good fruit juices…passion fruit, guava, mango and apricot are just a few of my favorites.  All that, however, cannot equal a breakfast at sea.  There’s nothing better than the fresh baked goodies served every morning onboard ship.  Those big sticky buns are starting to get to me.

We always like to keep a selections of goodies in the cabin. Since now we have the Hot Water Pot in the cabin for tea or coffee. But will make Hot Chocolate in cabin or from Kings Court.

This upcoming trip in late September to Canada, I think I will be enjoying Hot Chocolate more often it the weather is right. I do like to make my own mix at home from October on with several chocolate and cocoa mixes w homemade Whip Cream as a treat. No-No Marshmallows........

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We always like to keep a selections of goodies in the cabin. Since now we have the Hot Water Pot in the cabin for tea or coffee. But will make Hot Chocolate in cabin or from Kings Court.

This upcoming trip in late September to Canada, I think I will be enjoying Hot Chocolate more often it the weather is right. I do like to make my own mix at home from October on with several chocolate and cocoa mixes w homemade Whip Cream as a treat. No-No Marshmallows........

Quite a difference from the goodies in my cabin…more like cheese-its and Champagne…lol.  I love marshmallow in my cocoa…with whipped cream.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Gentlemen, you have reminded me of a beverage that I have not drunk in quite some time!  Need to get some for the coming Winter.  

RKA,

I like to use the Dosche Cocoa when we have it to mix Sugar into it to make it drinkable Hot Chocolate.

Also King Arthurs Flour Company makes a good Cocoa Mix that I use for Hot Chocolate after my wife uses it for Christmas Cookies or Cakes.

I also use Heavy Cream, Confectioner Sugar and U Bet Vanilla Syrup for Tasty Whip Cream for Desserts and Hot Chocolate. U Bet is the NY Brand of Syrup used in Egg Creams. A NYC Summer Favorite. 

The best Hot Chocolate in NYC is in Brooklyn Dumbo area around the Brooklyn Bridge at the Chocolate Candy Shop of Jacque Torres. To make it rich, certain chocolate bars of different flavors will be added.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This is a fun thread to read. Enjoyed the variety of ideas. I too am not sure about fish for breakfast, but, I would try it. One of our favorite items on a cruise had been the Bread Pudding on Celebrity lines. This stuff messed us up and made all others terrible. Ate it almost every day. Great stuff. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, revrick3 said:

This is a fun thread to read. Enjoyed the variety of ideas. I too am not sure about fish for breakfast, but, I would try it. One of our favorite items on a cruise had been the Bread Pudding on Celebrity lines. This stuff messed us up and made all others terrible. Ate it almost every day. Great stuff. 

As the OP of this thread and many others in Cruise Foodies, it is fun to find others interests, tastes and ideals with food interests.

Cruise Line introduce us to new food ideals and items we would not think of making at home.

You are welcome to review many of the other topics in Cruise Foodies. First Breakfast is always Eggs Benedict for me...

• Like 1

Ooh, bread pudding at breakfast.  I have had BP for dessert, on HAL and RC, but I realize I have not seen it at breakfast.  One more delicious thing to look for!

You have reminded me of something I did have on X at breakfast, though, and that was Fried Bread, in the English Breakfast section.

Next cruise I'm looking forward to having avocado toast, apparently available in MDR.  We make this at home, but have never had it elsewhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Ooh, bread pudding at breakfast.  I have had BP for dessert, on HAL and RC, but I realize I have not seen it at breakfast.  One more delicious thing to look for!

You have reminded me of something I did have on X at breakfast, though, and that was Fried Bread, in the English Breakfast section.

Next cruise I'm looking forward to having avocado toast, apparently available in MDR.  We make this at home, but have never had it elsewhere.

Never had Bread Pudding for breakfast, but, since I have only sailed on Celebrity once, I may have missed it among all of the other offerings.

Fried Bread?  What is that?  Literally, just bread that is fried?  What makes that special?

And, Avocado Toast?  I know that it seems to be popular.  What is it and why is liked by so many?  

Fried bread:  I don't know how it is made, but it was tasty. Probably not very healthful.  I was familiar with baked beans on toast and other English staples, but that was new to me.  I think I'll do some research....

Avocado toast:  We just chop up some ripe avocado and spread it on toast.  We haven't ever had it elsewhere, so don't know if someone else might add other ingredients or flavors.  But anything that gives me more avocado is good!

Revrick, Did the bread pudding have sauces (vanilla and/or chocolate) to put on top?  Mmmm.