NEXUS Renewal Time

ger_77

Although nobody's really going anywhere right now, we received notification that it was time to renew our NEXUS / Trusted Traveler application.  It took a while (almost timed out a couple of times), but I got through both of our applications on July 2.  Yesterday (July 3), we received notice that our renewals have been approved and new cards will be sent to us.

If you're going to renew, be sure to have your previous card beside you, your driver's licence, and a complete list of the countries you've visited since your last application.  In our case, it was 21 countries - I had to go back through our cruising file to determine where we'd been in the past 5 years.  I made a list so I could duplicate the information when we did DH's application for renewal - that way there were no discrepancies.

When we can finally travel again, we'll be able to skip many of the long lines at airports and port cities.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 4

Glad it worked out for you.  We renewed our Nexus cards a year ago, so have a little while to go.  Pat says the only thing coming up for him is to renew his Irish passport, but I think it can wait a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying to get my Global Entry interview. First, there were no offices near me conducting interviews. An office finally opened and I made my appt. Then I was notified that because of increases in covid-19 cases, the office is closed again. 

The good news is I have a several months to get this completed. 

• Like 1

Another great thing about this renewal was there was no interview required - for us that meant we didn't have to endure the 10 hour drive and an overnight hotel stay to accommodate the 5 minute interview.

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

I'm trying to get my Global Entry interview. First, there were no offices near me conducting interviews. An office finally opened and I made my appt. Then I was notified that because of increases in covid-19 cases, the office is closed again. 

The interview we had was a joke, took about fifteen minutes most of which was giving fingerprints.  I can’t remember the questions but they were pretty stupid.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The interview we had was a joke, took about fifteen minutes most of which was giving fingerprints.  I can’t remember the questions but they were pretty stupid.

I've heard the same thing, that's why I hope to have an interview relatively close by. 🤞 

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

We applied for Global Entry in early October, and are still waiting for something - anything - to happen. I'm beginning to think it's all just a government scam to get another $100 out of taxpayers. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kwb101 said:

We applied for Global Entry in early October, and are still waiting for something - anything - to happen. I'm beginning to think it's all just a government scam to get another $100 out of taxpayers. 

Oh great. I thought waiting since the first weekend in December was extremely long. What I don’t get is that my friend did her application two days before mine and received her approval in about 10 days. Now she’s trying to get an interview because she initially thought she’d be able to do it when returning from Iceland in March, which didn’t happen.

2 hours ago, kwb101 said:

1 hour ago, Reagan0712 said:

What I don’t get is that my friend did her application two days before mine and received her approval in about 10 days. Now she’s trying to get an interview because she initially thought she’d be able to do it when returning from Iceland in March, which didn’t happen.

Have you checked your account? I completed my GE application online last month, and the NEXT DAY I got the email saying I needed to schedule an interview. 

2 hours ago, bobpell said:

Do you start the renewal process in the last year of your current card?

thanks

Bob

Hi Bob, you can renew as soon as one day after your birthday on the last year.  I.E. you can renew 364 days before it expires.  I renewed in February 2020, expires this September.  Was so nice, nothing to do but pay, and they mail the card to the house.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Have you checked your account? I completed my GE application online last month, and the NEXT DAY I got the email saying I needed to schedule an interview. 

I check every couple of weeks, and the Conditional Approval gurus still shows that it's  being processed. 

Is there any way to contact them to see what's going on? My wife signed up a few days after I did, and she's in the same boat (ahem).

Edited by kwb101

We have Nexus cards that expire in 2021.   If we renew them ASAP will they change the date to 5 years from renewal.......or 5 years from the original expiration in 2021?   These things confuse me.........  : /

25 minutes ago, thyme2go said:

We have Nexus cards that expire in 2021.   If we renew them ASAP will they change the date to 5 years from renewal.......or 5 years from the original expiration in 2021?   These things confuse me.........  : /

I just checked mine, I renewed in February 2020 was set to expire in September 2020, I got my new card about two months ago, my new expiry date is September 2025.  So I got my full five year from my original expiry date even though I renewed early.  

5 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I check it weekly. Because of Covid the website kept saying they’ve been closed and are not reopening until Monday, July 6th.  But if yours was processed someone must have been working.  I think I’ll try rattling some chains next week.

1 hour ago, Lido deck main said:

I just checked mine, I renewed in February 2020 was set to expire in September 2020, I got my new card about two months ago, my new expiry date is September 2025.  So I got my full five year from my original expiry date even though I renewed early.  

THANKS!!   We'll wait a little longer and do the same.........

I wonder if it's just the enrollment centers that are closed and the back office operation is still working.

7-8 hour drive for an enrollment center.  I try to do it in conjunction with visiting my family in Montreal.

Roy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

I also got my full five year renewal; sadly, I likely won't be getting a full five years' worth of use out of the card this time...

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2020 at 12:06 PM, Vict0riann said:

Glad it worked out for you.  We renewed our Nexus cards a year ago, so have a little while to go.  Pat says the only thing coming up for him is to renew his Irish passport, but I think it can wait a bit.

On 7/4/2020 at 11:03 PM, Reagan0712 said:

I check it weekly. Because of Covid the website kept saying they’ve been closed and are not reopening until Monday, July 6th.  But if yours was processed someone must have been working.  I think I’ll try rattling some chains next week.

Same here. Applied for renewal in January and have heard nothing. I check regularly and it is still pending.

I go online to question and get a email back saying they are busy and due to COVID many offices are closed but worry not, Nexus has been expended.

I call and get the same answer, they are overwhelmed and that is why Nexus expiry is extended for a year.

I submitted an inquiry this morning. The website now says opening delayed until 10 Aug.  In inquiry section it says Global Entry approvals should be received in 3-5 months. So according to that, I should have gotten it, by their timeframe, at the earliest beginning in March before shutdown. It’ll be interesting to see how long it takes them to tell me it’s not coming for another few months.