If you could never cruise again, what would you do in place of it?

2 hours ago, Oakman said:

Have already done it. After 66 cruises, the fun is just not there. Travelled the world, now time to see the USA. Bought an RV and are enjoying it tremendously. Safe, self contained, easy to drive and no chair hogs!! Having the time of our lives!!!

I was sort of reaching the same point myself.  We have been on 69 cruises and while the fun is there the excitement isn't.

We took a cruise in February with my son, grandson, and great grandson and a great time.  I was at the point where I was looking forward to doing some cruising with my great grandson who will be 6 in September, but that would be a different kind of cruising until he gets older and for now that is on hold.

I probably won't even think of doing any trips until next year and at that point I'll see where we're at.  I do have a cruise that I L&S from this November to November 2021.

• Like 1

Depending either a 2 week rental on a beach or an all inclusive depending on how the world is, we changed our TA cruise in November that has not yet been cancelled ( thanks Royal how can it happen?)  to a week at a condo on the beach at Turks and Caicos, once we get groceries no need to go out in public for the week!

This is how far the room is from the beach

No fancy service or bed made every day, but we can get by I think.

8a1a76e2.jpg?impolicy=fcrop&w=1200&h=800

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Another kind of vacation, take up a hobby, volunteer with some organization, work more or another idea??

What I do now which is explore the world and long beach vacations between cruises.  There are so many places in the world that can't be reached by ship that I want to see, I don't think I will ever run out of vacation ideas.  Sprinkle that with beach vacations to get my sun and sea fix. But then, we have never been ones to do the same thing year after year, so I don't think we would be very affected.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

We already started traveling more here in the U.S.  Once we started going to the National Parks a few years ago, we were hooked.  We'll keep exploring our beautiful country.  If cruising no longer feels like a viable option for us, we're ok with that.

• Like 2

We are living in an area that we do not really enjoy.  While we were renovating the house and cruising, we were fine.  But once we completed the house and stayed at home for months, we realized that we need to be living in a place where we can really enjoy day-to-day life.  So we sold the house and have a contract on a condo in Bradenton, within four miles of the beaches.  We are happiest close to the water, and now we won’t need to go on a cruise to enjoy it.  We still love cruising and plan to go as much as possible, but I guess we have the current situation to thank for making us realize how much the small, day-to-day things matter. 

• Like 4

This is the 1st step in getting over the addition  and a giant step to recovery. Everyone is doing well, now take another deep breathe(but make sure your mask is on) and relax.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

Maybe I can start Cruiser Anonymous and get a 12 step program set up.  We will be looking at AI vacations and road trips.  Sadly, I lived in AZ before I stayed at the Grand Canyon!  Years ago I returned to the Chicago area and visited a high school friend.  In the 20+ years since I had seen him, he had been outside of IL only 1 time.  We are blessed to have done all the cruises we have done.  Cruising will return and we may well return to cruising.   

• Like 1

spend a few weeks at saratoga race track in july/august 2021..been on my bucket list: gonna bite the bullet spend $250 a night for a cheap motel room and find out if saratoga is better than keeneland and churchill  downs....start going back to vegas every year with our comps, and a trip or two to the sibonne hotel in providenciales  on the best beach ever......go away virus, we still want to cruise.

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

No basketball ? I knew a guy who played for their NBA team and many people who left Philly returned to see the “Kangaroo Kid.”,

Billy C ?

15 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Another kind of vacation, take up a hobby, volunteer with some organization, work more or another idea??

In 1986 I began writing the The Great American novel.I had a beginning, an ending but not a middle.I posted this on CC years ago and a woman who was posting then and still does,told me that she would be interested in collaborating with me to finish the novel but only if this was not my first endeavor in writing.I told her that I had written two plays many short stories as well as poetry and a TV show.We agreed to meet on an upcoming cruise and “put our heads together”.However,it did not work out.On the plus side we became friends with her and her husband and were on two more cruises with them.

If I cannot cruise again I will possibly attempt to finish the novel.I have not written anything since 2000 so it will be a challenge.

I would check off my entire bucket list.  Have only been to the 11 places in red -- 39 more to go

1. Grand Canyon, AZ
  2. Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
  3. Craters of the Moon, ID
  4. Yellowstone National Park, WY
  5. Pikes Peak, CO
  6. Carlsbad Caverns National Park, NM
  7. The Alamo, TX
  8. The Platt Historic District, OK
  9. Toltec Mounds, AR
  10. Elvis Presley's Graceland, TN
  11. Vicksburg National Military Park, MS
  12. French Quarter, New Orleans, LA