Alaska Tour/Excursion Recs from the Pros!

Autumnz

I was reading through the trip reports and it seems for every port there is someone who says that this ridiculously pricey excursion was a once in a lifetime totally worth it experience AND someone who just wandered around and thought they had an amazing day.  I was wondering from those who've traveled Alaska a lot, specifically those who've done a variety of things in the same port over the years, what is your top recommendation for an activity in that area.  What do you think is worth the splurge?  What do you think is worth the "skip"?

Just curious!

We are planning to travel July 2021 to:

Hubbard (Cruise Ship Viewing)

Icy Point - as we're doing 26 glaciers and Kenai 7.5 hrs trip pre-cruise thought of skipping excursion here and just wandering the town, and then enjoy the boat.  But maybe we should book a Glacier Winds whale watching tour?  We have 11 nts on land pre-cruise, so thought of skipping an excursion here to save some money if we've had similar experiences.  Seafood Lunch on land(?)

Ketchikan  -no formal excursion- bus to totem bight park/native totem museum/hike rainbird (or rent a car instead of bus to totem bight and hike lunch creek instead) trail/visit town/lunch in town to enjoy seafood (?)

Skagway  Dayea Dave tour to emerald lake (bus up/train down) or  Chilkoot Tours to Bennett Lake 

Juneau (Our trip doesn't allow a Tracy Arm excursion due to docking at 9am).  Boohoo!  Take Evergreen Taxi to the glacier/ hike to Nugget Falls/Tramway/Lunch at ship 

Things we'll do Pre- Cruise

*No we have no plans to go to Denali.  We've already added 3 extra nts to our original itinerary and although many say Denali is a must.... hopefully we'll work it in another trips (as well as Homer and Valdez- other places I want to see that didn't fit in this trip)....

-1 day in City Anchorage (Native Heritage Museum/Earthquake Park and walk a bit of the Coastal Trail from this access point/Point Worzonof/Kincaid Park Mize Loop and Sanddunes)

*Possible Trolley Tour/Possible visit "downtown" and see ship creek...but from research not sure these are "must dos" and I'd rather spend time wandering in nature and maybe see a moose!

- 3 days Palmer Region (Drive Hatcher Pass/Scout Ridge Overlook/Hike April Bowl/Independence Mine/Reindeer Farm and Matanuska Glacier Hike MICA and Knik Glacier Tours/Eagle River Nature Center (on drive to Girdwood)

-4 days Girdwood Area (Winners Creek Trail (Possible Crow Mine) /Turnagin Arm Drive with stops at Potter Marsh, Beluga Point, (Bore Tide Viewing), Salmon in Indian Creek, Windy Point for Dall Sheep and Byron Glacier Hike/Virgin Creek Falls/Wildlife Cons. Center and Possible Portage Glacier Hike (or take train to grandview????) and 26 Glacier Cruise Excursion

-2 days Seward (7.5 hr Cruise with Major Marine and Exit Glacier/Sea Life Center (not doing Bear Glacier Kayaking tour unless highly recommended, but would love to!  Very $$$)

I have been to Alaska many times. I would never "just walk around the port town" if I am paying to go on a cruise to stop by these ports. IMO - the best parts of Alaska are away from "the cruise port towns".

Yes - Alaska is expensive. Save. If you can't afford tours this year, then save your money and go the following year.

There is no best and multiple “top” choices.   I think it’s a big mistake to make any touring choices based on the “maybe we should do xxx because so many claim it’s a must “. No-  🤩.     The choice  in my opinion should only be considered if YOU have the interest and know all the details.  

I do have a significant background with Alaska touring and have always sought out MY preferences.   I do repeat a lot of locales BUT every visit is touring plans.    I don’t do “nothing “ days and don’t skip areas to save money.    For me Alaska has never been the place to  skimp on touring I want.   

Your mainland touring is little I would consider,  but is what you have planned  Hopefully there’s more to the lists.    🤩.    

Denali is certainly a major highlight of Alaska , I always give it a priority with my scheduling-  Tentative plans for me this year are 2 trips there 🤩.     BUT absolutely is NOT for everyone nor a must do. 

With Alaska planning so far ahead however.  I do think it another mistake to have fixed plans and not be open to change.   Especially first timers-  great planning comes from revisions and changes you continuously make.  Based on the more you research and fine tune.  

Thank you for your detailed response.  Yes, I continue to read and revise based on recommendations and things I find of interest.  Nothing is fully final.  I do find our daily schedule pretty full with our outline of plans.

Do you see something not on the list, in those areas, we should look at adding?  Or things you'd think we should skip and recommend something else instead?

3 hours ago, Autumnz said:

Thank you for your detailed response.  Yes, I continue to read and revise based on recommendations and things I find of interest.  Nothing is fully final.  I do find our daily schedule pretty full with our outline of plans.

Do you see something not on the list, in those areas, we should look at adding?  Or things you'd think we should skip and recommend something else instead?

Great opportunities then for you-   keep looking  and revising.  🙂   

There is plenty, I would "skip and add", with your itinerary.    BUT it isn't my trip.   🙂     Make sure your current choices are yours and not something you "heard",  was a must do,  I would suggest.  

I find a LOT of joy,  in Alaska-  with the out of the way,  small possibilities-  which I add,  in transit.    

I find , Necessary is THE MILEPOST.   Offers the details of the smaller opportunities as example.   

6 hours ago, Autumnz said:

Skagway  Dayea Dave tour to emerald lake (bus up/train down) or  Chilkoot Tours to Bennett Lake 

Dyea Dave,  also offers the Lake Bennett combo.    

And- I really value suggestions and insight.  I feel I've read hundreds of trip reports, 2 guidebooks, several travel blogs, and a million forum posts.  If there are things I should really consider, a better plan, items that clearly have minimal value and skipping is recommended, etc.  I'd love to hear it.   🙂

I agree with the comments above -- do the activities that appeal to YOUR interests, not what others say was 'the best'.  What is best for an elderly couple will be vastly different than what is best for a family with young kids.  Read the reviews and determine what is best for you based on price, timing, level of activity, and your independence level.  

I agree with Coral too -- I am not a big fan of just wandering around a port town.  You've paid $$$ and traveled likely hundreds if not thousands of miles to get somewhere special -- why just wander around aimlessly when you get there?  To me this is the equivalent of flying to a new city and wandering around the airport, then flying home.  

Save your money, do your homework, and plan a trip of a lifetime that works for you 🙂

Edit to say you will get a vast variety of responses to what is 'best'.  We would never sail without a balcony, while others consider it a waste of money.  I also would never sit in a dining room in Alaska when I could be outside enjoying the very things I've paid to go see, but many people will plan their day around what time the dining room opens.  I consider that an 'ugh'.  Everyone has their own travel style and requirements 🙂

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Autumnz said:

And- I really value suggestions and insight.  I feel I've read hundreds of trip reports, 2 guidebooks, several travel blogs, and a million forum posts.  If there are things I should really consider, a better plan, items that clearly have minimal value and skipping is recommended, etc.  I'd love to hear it.   🙂

There are hundreds of things some may thank you “should “ consider.    I guess what needs to be said is Alaska isn’t a one time trip for some.   Even 10 isn’t enough.  

I’ve already said I would not give any priority to some of your choices and would be making alternative plans.  And so would many others.  There are countless options.    But you have clearly stated you’ve done your homework so it seems your selections were thought out.   You aren’t going to get an ideal, perfect trip 

But I do find your cruise port plans weak.   Of course a wide range of choices-   Plenty of Cruise passengers do nothing and are perfectly satisfied.    So it continues to depend on what YOU want out of your trip.  

Very true...we've added 2 nts to our original plan to do things we've thought would enjoyable.  A list of things for another time.  Our budget determines some of our activities as well (do we need a 3rd sealife cruise in icy point as we're doing kenai fjords and 26 glaciers...yes I'd love to do it, but adds another $600 to our budget).  If we can do the Tracy Arm excursion in Juneau, we will but so far appears we dock too late, so that put me with Mendenhall Glacier (but open to other ideas, although don't think we have the interest in our group, or budget, for flightseeing.)  Ketchikan....will revisit as I agree our current plan isn't anything that's a truly unique experience.

I sincerely thank you for your feedback....will contine to review and play with ideas (and budget).  🙂

Op-   Depending on the “group”. Split up.  🤩.    If someone has a flight seeing prior- then do it.   As example.    Don’t drag along everyone.  🤩.   

What Tracy Arm touring?   A car rental can also work out well in Juneau.   What’s the port time?   

We are in Juneau 9am-9am.  There's a tour that goes to Tracy Arm but it departs at 815 or 9am (2 companies I saw that offered it).

My husband will not do flightseeing and it's not a huge must do interest of mine (although looks amazing), mostly just due to the cost.  Tracy Arm excursion looked spectacular though.

We could rent a car in Juneau...what would you suggest we look at seeing with it?

There’s no better place in Alaska to do a humpback whale tour than Juneau. We always do that and usually rent a car as well.  Makes it easy to go to Mendenhall Glacier and also head out to the Shrine at St Therese and Eagle Beach after or before the whale watch tour.  For us it’s getting out of downtown and avoiding the hoards in just about any port.

Does your cruise go to Glacier Bay? You might not need the additional Tracy Arm excursion. My guess is that your cruise line might offer one that works with your times if you really want to do it.

And while I hate to be all doom and gloom, you might want some plan Bs. With no cruises this year, a lot of the providers are really hurting, and the landscape might look a lot different next year. 

Really, you can't go wrong with anything you do. When I went a few years ago (I'm really due to go again), in Ketchikan we did a boat tour that we saw Eagles and Totems. In Juneau, we took a bus to/from Mendenhall Glacier and did the visitor center. Considered doing the tram, but it was extremely foggy. In Skagway, we did a train/bus combo up to Carcross. With the exception of Juneau, we did ship tours. I would have enjoyed a whale watching tour, but my wife gets seasick on the smaller boats. Fortunately, she did ok on the boat in Ketchikan. From what I recall, Ketchikan can be walked (Creek Street I believe) and is near the port. Also a small walk from the port in Juneau is the downtown area. 

Again, it really all depends on what you want to do. Another thing to consider, after all the touring you are doing precruise, you don't want to end up on the cruise all exhausted. Looking at Glaciers are great (some of my favorite pics are of the blue ice we saw on the way to Dawes Glacier (couldn't get into Tracy Arm). But, unless you happen to catch on calving, at some point, they all start to look alike. If you are going to do the 26 Glaciers tour before even getting on the ship, do you really want to do another glacier excursion? 

Those are really good points!  We see Hubbard, not Glacier Bay.  Tracy Arm just seems amazing, and so far our cruise isn't offering it on this sailing (others do have it listed).  If not...another trip! 🙂

I do really like to just be out in nature, light hikes, looking at/ for wildlife. 

At this point, I am really hoping things look a lot more normal for 2021. 

56 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

There’s no better place in Alaska to do a humpback whale tour than Juneau. We always do that and usually rent a car as well.  Makes it easy to go to Mendenhall Glacier and also head out to the Shrine at St Therese and Eagle Beach after or before the whale watch tour.  For us it’s getting out of downtown and avoiding the hoards in just about any port.

Avoiding crowds is ideal!  I will look at the car rental option!  If we do another sealife cruise/whale watch I think we'll do it in icy point.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

. If you are going to do the 26 Glaciers tour before even getting on the ship, do you really want to do another glacier excursion? 

More glaciers the better! They are all so different.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Autumnz said:

Those are really good points!  We see Hubbard, not Glacier Bay.  Tracy Arm just seems amazing, and so far our cruise isn't offering it on this sailing (others do have it listed).  If not...another trip! 🙂

I do really like to just be out in nature, light hikes, looking at/ for wildlife. 

I caution,  about "another trip".   🙂   In some cases-  it was years,  just to arrange the current one.  I'm of the thought of taking advantage of -  now.  🙂      

With Tracy Arm-  Adventure Bound and Allen Marine are the vendors.   Next year-  (don't bother now-  way too early)  contact each direct and inquire what may be available.  

I will also mention,  I noted your "wildlife" comment.      For others with this priority-  TOP choices are Kenai Fjords and Denali Park-  bottom line.   And Denali is your bargain of bargain opportunities to take advantage of-  if of interest.      

Yes, but there is a limit to how much we can afford on this trip.  🙂  I did contact vendors in regards to Tracy Arm as times online are for 9am  departure.  We dock a 9am.  If someone can work with us- that sounds like a must do (although I worry then I'll be spending too much time on boats!).  We are doing Major Marine Kenai Fjords 7.5 tour (almost 100% positive, still get nervous and hoping seasickness won't be an issue).  We read about Denali, looked at reviews/blogs/videos/pics.  Some reviews are "we saw a bear, a moose, some sheep far away".  Someone said they only saw a few birds- nothing is guaranteed.  It does look like an incredible place,  but hopefully we'll see some wild moose, some sheep, a bear (and hopefully lots of other things) in other places.  I won't lie- the thought of traveling on school bus 4 hrs to Elison Visitor Center  (walking around for an hour) and then 4 hours back hoping to spot some wildlife (which could be far away)- I think I'd just be disappointed.  An incredible place, no doubt, but not sure that fits us this trip.  Again, appreciate your insight and suggestions!

1 hour ago, Autumnz said:

Yes, but there is a limit to how much we can afford on this trip.  🙂  I did contact vendors in regards to Tracy Arm as times online are for 9am  departure.  We dock a 9am.  If someone can work with us- that sounds like a must do (although I worry then I'll be spending too much time on boats!).  We are doing Major Marine Kenai Fjords 7.5 tour (almost 100% positive, still get nervous and hoping seasickness won't be an issue).  We read about Denali, looked at reviews/blogs/videos/pics.  Some reviews are "we saw a bear, a moose, some sheep far away".  Someone said they only saw a few birds- nothing is guaranteed.  It does look like an incredible place,  but hopefully we'll see some wild moose, some sheep, a bear (and hopefully lots of other things) in other places.  I won't lie- the thought of traveling on school bus 4 hrs to Elison Visitor Center  (walking around for an hour) and then 4 hours back hoping to spot some wildlife (which could be far away)- I think I'd just be disappointed.  An incredible place, no doubt, but not sure that fits us this trip.  Again, appreciate your insight and suggestions!

I did a land tour (no cruise ship) to Alaska about 12 years ago.  Went from Anchorage to Seward, back up through Talkeetna, Denali & Fairbanks. Then took the train back down to Anchorage.  Total about 2 1/2 weeks.

Highlights of Denali - a grizzly bear crossed the road right in front of us on the way to the park.  I got the picture.  

And... the mountain was "out" the day we went.  It takes your breath away.  

Maybe 2022 for us....