Mt. Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge - excursions?

LCW

We're a year out... but some of the cruise line offered excursions are already booking up.  In Europe, I usually booked excursions myself, rather than thru the ship.  Wondering if there is a possibility to do that here, or if we really need to go through the ship?  Specifically, looking at the wilderness trail ride, back bear ATV adventure, ZIP Line adventure. 

2 hours ago, LCW said:

We're a year out... but some of the cruise line offered excursions are already booking up.  In Europe, I usually booked excursions myself, rather than thru the ship.  Wondering if there is a possibility to do that here, or if we really need to go through the ship?  Specifically, looking at the wilderness trail ride, back bear ATV adventure, ZIP Line adventure. 

Have no clue what your "wilderness trail" is?  where is it?     But the other 2 are simple bookings via direct, out of Talkeetna.     

BUT,   you have to factor in your time carefully.   How many nights?  Cruisetour Transit??      And finally,  you  need to be conservative with your shuttle,  verify if any reservations are needed? (not sure if the y take them?)    If first come first serve-  leave very early concerning any booked tours.    

We are on a Princess "on your own" cruise tour, meaning they do the transportation but there are no set activities. We are staying overnight at Denali Princess Wilderness lodge and one night at McKinley Wilderness Lodge (Talkeetna).  Looking for tours like ziplining or horseback riding. 

Planning on doing the short hike to Horseshoe lake on my own.

We are transported by bus to Denali Princess Wilderness lodge, where we'll be overnight, leaving early afternoon the next day to go to McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge late afternoon, and the next day early afternoon we'll transfer to the train back to Anchorage. 

8 hours ago, LCW said:

We are transported by bus to Denali Princess Wilderness lodge, where we'll be overnight, leaving early afternoon the next day to go to McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge late afternoon, and the next day early afternoon we'll transfer to the train back to Anchorage. 

Ok. Just my opinion-  this is a poor choice if you don’t have the Tundra Wilderness tour included?    
You are looking at about 8 hours in transit. Whittier to Denali.   Then 2 hours to McKinley-  where there is nothing at the lodge.  You will have to invest another 2 hours in rt transit/. If you go to Talkeetna. The only suggestion I have is to be ready for the first shuttle the next morning- and have your touring booked.   

Dealbreaker is if you have The Natural History tour or no tour at Denali. I’d then suggest ditching it and book something else.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Dealbreaker is if you have The Natural History tour or no tour at Denali. I’d then suggest ditching it and book something else.    

They have the "on your own tour" which means no tours are included. 

Edited by Coral

While at the Denali Princess Lodge, we are planning on doing the hike at Horseshoe Lake....This is something my family did a few times when I was a kid, and is basically a family tradition.  That is the main reason we're coming to Denali, to let my daughter see the place she's seen in all the pictures at Grandma's. 

But we will be catching the train back to Anchorage from the McKinley Lodge.  So, we arrive in the mid-afternoon and will leave early afternoon by train the next day. The Cruisline has up-charges on excursions - like the trail ride.  So looking at things we can do from the hotel while there.  

Edited by LCW

12 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I’d then suggest ditching it and book something else.    

When I was comparing HAL and Princess Lodges for a possible tour with one of the companies, I found that there was enough of a difference between them as to what could be available to do that I would be interested in doing that Princess dropped off my radar.  The Princess lodge closest to Talkeetna only offered shuttle service to town that attracted me.  I visited Talkeetna last July; surely has changed over the years and is still an interesting place to visit--for awhile.  It's now become "touristy", in my opinion; very different from when I first visited it around 2007.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:19 AM, LCW said:

While at the Denali Princess Lodge, we are planning on doing the hike at Horseshoe Lake....This is something my family did a few times when I was a kid, and is basically a family tradition.  That is the main reason we're coming to Denali, to let my daughter see the place she's seen in all the pictures at Grandma's. 

But we will be catching the train back to Anchorage from the McKinley Lodge.  So, we arrive in the mid-afternoon and will leave early afternoon by train the next day. The Cruisline has up-charges on excursions - like the trail ride.  So looking at things we can do from the hotel while there.  

There are exhibits and a great bookstore at the visitor’s center near the train station.  Is your group interested in sled dogs?  Check online at nps.gov for Denali hikes and the working dogs of the park sled dog demo (free).  You could arrange to do Jeff King’s Husky Homestead tour on the first afternoon/evening at Denali (Iditarod training).   They’ll pick you up at your lodge.