Which Princess sailings, (if any) do you think will sail this year? (And why)

CineGraphic

•  

• All Cruises Sailing In and Out of Australia Departing September 19 – October 31, 2020

• All Other Remaining Cruises Sailing through December 15

Just saw this notice on the Princess website: https://www.princess.com/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/

Looks like we won't be seeing any cruises until some point in 2021 and that will be very dependent on when Covid-19 is more under control, especially in the U.S.

Which cruises will sail this year?  My thinking is that there will be NO cruises this year.  I know this sounds too negative but it is just dealing with the reality of COVID-19 which is not going away anytime soon.    Bottom line is that it is unlikely that any port is going to accept a cruise ship in 2020.  Even 2021 is a big question mark :(.

Hank

• Like 4

I hope we will see some cruises come back in the middle of 2021.  I think it all depends on whether or not we can come together to bring down the infection rates.  It is hard to imagine that happening right now,  but I hope it can be so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joe d said:

I am beginning to think our January 2021 cruise is a long shot.  My wife has been after me to cancel it but I think Princess will end up cancelling it.

The only real question is whether they cancel before or after final payment is due.

• Like 1

Restarting crusing is not always smooth. Look at what is happening with one of the other Carival Corp brands:

10 crew test positive for COVID-19 on first Carnival Corp. ships scheduled to cruise

Ten crew members on German-based ships slated to begin cruises in August have tested positive for COVID-19.

The AIDA-brand cruise ships are owned by Miami-based Carnival Corporation.

The crew members had recently flown to Germany from their home countries in Asia to begin working on the ships, local media reported. After testing negative in their home countries, they then tested negative again in Germany. Shortly after boarding the ships, docked in Rostock, Germany, they tested positive.

Carnival Corp. spokesperson Roger Frizzell said the company does not expect the findings will delay its launch of cruises from Germany on Aug. 5.

“We don’t expect it to create any delays, especially since it showcases the new screening process with our crew members there is working as intended,” he said in an email.

While U.S. health authorities remain focused on curbing ongoing COVID-19 outbreaks among crews on cruise ships in U.S. waters, the cities of Hamburg, Kiel and Rostock, Germany, have given the industry the go-ahead to restart sailings. AIDA Cruises plans to begin cruises from those ports at less than 50% capacity starting Aug. 5. Passengers will stay on the ships during the entire cruise rather than disembarking for shore visits.

On Wednesday, the company flew 750 workers from the Philippines and Indonesia to Rostock to join the ships before the cruises begin, according to local media. Ten crew members on the AIDAmar and AIDAblu ships tested positive. The ill crew members are isolated in individual cabins and will be tested again, along with all other recently arrived crew members, Frizzell said.

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Restarting crusing is not always smooth. Look at what is happening with one of the other Carival Corp brands:

10 crew test positive for COVID-19 on first Carnival Corp. ships scheduled to cruise

Ten crew members on German-based ships slated to begin cruises in August have tested positive for COVID-19.

The AIDA-brand cruise ships are owned by Miami-based Carnival Corporation.

The crew members had recently flown to Germany from their home countries in Asia to begin working on the ships, local media reported. After testing negative in their home countries, they then tested negative again in Germany. Shortly after boarding the ships, docked in Rostock, Germany, they tested positive.

Carnival Corp. spokesperson Roger Frizzell said the company does not expect the findings will delay its launch of cruises from Germany on Aug. 5.

“We don’t expect it to create any delays, especially since it showcases the new screening process with our crew members there is working as intended,” he said in an email.

While U.S. health authorities remain focused on curbing ongoing COVID-19 outbreaks among crews on cruise ships in U.S. waters, the cities of Hamburg, Kiel and Rostock, Germany, have given the industry the go-ahead to restart sailings. AIDA Cruises plans to begin cruises from those ports at less than 50% capacity starting Aug. 5. Passengers will stay on the ships during the entire cruise rather than disembarking for shore visits.

On Wednesday, the company flew 750 workers from the Philippines and Indonesia to Rostock to join the ships before the cruises begin, according to local media. Ten crew members on the AIDAmar and AIDAblu ships tested positive. The ill crew members are isolated in individual cabins and will be tested again, along with all other recently arrived crew members, Frizzell said.

With 10 crew members sick, how can they sail. They would have to  make sure that no other crew member has caught  it.    I don't know when they tested positive, but will it be14 or more days pass with no new cases on board before they set sail on 8/5?

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

With 10 crew members sick, how can they sail. They would have to  make sure that no other crew member has caught  it.    I don't know when they tested positive, but will it be14 or more days pass with no new cases on board before they set sail on 8/5?

This was on the newspaper's web site yesterday, so it probably happened within the last three days. Might be exactly 14 days to the first sailing. The other two ships had a later start date.

But the question is what will happen if one or more other crew members were infected by one of these 10?

20 minutes ago, caribill said:

This was on the newspaper's web site yesterday, so it probably happened within the last three days. Might be exactly 14 days to the first sailing. The other two ships had a later start date.

But the question is what will happen if one or more other crew members were infected by one of these 10?

That is what I was thinking.  Some new infections might not even show symptoms.

28 minutes ago, caribill said:

I suspect that every crew member will be tested multiple times a week.

That will work, as long as enough days are given from the time of contact.   Symptoms for COVID-19 can start as early as 2 days and as long as 14 days after you are exposed.

1 minute ago, geocruiser said:

That will work, as long as enough days are given from the time of contact.   Symptoms for COVID-19 can start as early as 2 days and as long as 14 days after you are exposed.

But the question remains: What will they do if a crew member tests positive close to the sail date?

3 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

It’s very disconcerting to have someone rest negative twice and then positive! That adds a whole new level of risk to travel IMO. 

The only thing that we don't know it how far apart were the test taken.  Did the crew member leave their home country well to pick it up in transit, or on baord?

None of them will sail...

Crusing is just not a priority for the CDC and related national bodies..

First, CDC is too busy trying to kill off the parents of school age children.

More generally none of them have a clue how to make it safe to cruise. They're hoping the industry bodies can come up with something they can review, make a couple of tweaks to and endorse. But they aren't putting effort into it today.

Lastly, when they  restart, they will have to bring 100s or 1000s of crew from around the world to meet up with the ship(s) and then position for the first cruise. That will be almost as difficult an operation as the repatriation was.

6 hours ago, bstrauss3 said:

Lastly, when they  restart, they will have to bring 100s or 1000s of crew from around the world to meet up with the ship(s) and then position for the first cruise. That will be almost as difficult an operation as the repatriation was.

Might not be that difficult.

a) Many of the ships are being kept in the region where many of the crew come from. Easy to get them to the ship.

b) By the time cruising can reasonably resume, planes should be flying again and crew should be able to fly to where they can board the ships. Repatriation was difficult due to many countries not allowing International flights at the time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caribill said:

Might not be that difficult.

a) Many of the ships are being kept in the region where many of the crew come from. Easy to get them to the ship.

b) By the time cruising can reasonably resume, planes should be flying again and crew should be able to fly to where they can board the ships. Repatriation was difficult due to many countries not allowing International flights at the time.

Like.  Positive thinking. Thanks.

We currently have three Princess cruises booked in March, August, and December 2021.

At this time I do not believe any of them will sail and all will be cancelled?

I do not believe cruising will resume until the pandemic is resolved in the United States as well as other parts of the world.

Presently US  citizens are barred from entering most or all European countries, Canada, the Bahamas, and others.

Malls, Bars, Restaurants, and many stores are closed and even if they were to open many would still not enter so who would want to be confined to a cruise ship even if it didn't stop at any ports?

We generally sail out of Ft. Lauderdale. Florida currently has a very high infection and death rate from the Corona Virus so who would want to go there anytime soon?

It is currently not safe to travel anywhere or send children back to school so I think we all former cruisers will just have to sit tight, save our money and perhaps we can afford the Suite prices when cruising resumes in a few years?

If we all live that long!

Cheers

Howard

Edited by hm9912
  • Like 1

Every day I think my outlook gets more pessimistic regarding if/when cruising will resume.  We have an Alaska cruisetour booked for June 2021 I doubt will sail.  I'm still bummed that our European September 2020 cruise was cancelled.

Today our local paper carried an AP news story titled 'A Troubling Pandemic Thought:  What If THESE Are the Good Old Days' which forecasts what life will be like if Covid continues unabated and the ongoing economic fallout and potential supply chain issues.  If people can't get access to food and income sources, frivolous things like cruising will certainly be a thing of the past.  

I hope it doesn't come to that, but living in denial and magical thinking won't make anything better.  

Edited by Paula_MacFan