Any aussies preparing for alaska cruises in 2021??

Hi fellow Aussie cruisers.

was cancelled out of our bucket list cruise to Alaska this year.

Contemplating another attempt in june, 2021.

Any other aussies thinking the same trip. We consider there is a fair few risks involved. What do it gets think??

Myself and friends also cancelled an Alaska cruise for June just gone. Not a big disappointment for me as I've already done two IP cruises but my friends were really sorry as it would have been their first. Wont be booking anything until the pandemic is over, if it ever is, or until I see ports open and ships heading there - minimum.

We did the Inside passage cruise in 2006, enjoyed it, I suggest to those thinking about it, do it if you can and have some days in Vancouver pre or post cruise, you can go to Victoria, Butchart Gardens, Whistler etc on day tours from Vancouver on Gray Line etc, plus visit Timmy Horton.🤑  

Edited by NSWP

Suggest you don't book any Alaska cruises for 2021 in advance.  Once ships are cruising to Alaska, you should be able to book then, without worry.

Note whilst my friend got her deposit refunded for cruise to Alaska this year, she is still waiting for refund from Air Canada. 

I think that things should be sorted by 2021, I suggest that you do a cruise home ported out of Vancouver. The exchange rate in Canada is more favourable. Also when looking at itineraries be aware that a trip to Butchart  Gardens is 45 minutes each way from the cruise terminal and if it's a short port visit it may be better to plan a couple of days in Victoria before or after the cruise. Also there are many beautiful gardens much closer to town that are free to enter; Beacon Hill Park and Government house to name just 2. If you're going to come all this way spend some time here in Canada we're pretty friendly here and there are lot's of things to see. Remember Canada is huge (the 2nd largest country in the world after Russia) so if you plan to see more than British Columbia, the Rockies and part of Alberta give yourself more than a couple of weeks.

27 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think that things should be sorted by 2021, I suggest that you do a cruise home ported out of Vancouver. The exchange rate in Canada is more favourable. Also when looking at itineraries be aware that a trip to Butchart  Gardens is 45 minutes each way from the cruise terminal and if it's a short port visit it may be better to plan a couple of days in Victoria before or after the cruise. Also there are many beautiful gardens much closer to town that are free to enter; Beacon Hill Park and Government house to name just 2. If you're going to come all this way spend some time here in Canada we're pretty friendly here and there are lot's of things to see. Remember Canada is huge (the 2nd largest country in the world after Russia) so if you plan to see more than British Columbia, the Rockies and part of Alberta give yourself more than a couple of weeks.

Isn’t Texas the biggest state in Canada.

34 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I forgot to mention the Totem Poles, Lyle. They were interesting and the bridge over the gorge, forget its name, all in Van.  A lot of street people begging in Van though, more than I thought there would be, but that was 14 years ago, might have changed?

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I forgot to mention the Totem Poles, Lyle. They were interesting and the bridge over the gorge, forget its name, all in Van.  A lot of street people begging in Van though, more than I thought there would be, but that was 14 years ago, might have changed?

I think you are talking about the Capilano suspension bridge Les, are you talking about the foot bridge? There are Totems everywhere, We have several in Victoria in Thunderbird Park but we have taken 2 of the down and returned them to the First Nations communities they came from. The Downtown East Side of Vancouver is notorious and best avoided 

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think you are talking about the Capilano suspension bridge Les, are you talking about the foot bridge? There are Totems everywhere, We have several in Victoria in Thunderbird Park but we have taken 2 of the down and returned them to the First Nations communities they came from. The Downtown East Side of Vancouver is notorious and best avoided 

Yep, Capilano and Thunderbird Park that is where went to see them on the Van City tour with Gray Line.  Our bus broke down there, so we had an extra hour gazing at the totem poles, I was in urgent need of a Tim Hortons coffee.🚹

2 minutes ago, subaru94 said:

We went to Alaska last year and it was amazing,  before the Covid 19 we have booked a cruise August 2021 from Vancouver to Japan 23 nights, so hoping all o.k. by then will have to wait and see.  

I have to be hopeful that all will be well by the fall of 2021. There is lots to see in BC, give yourself some time. It depends on how long you have but spend some time on Vancouver Island if you are able.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have to be hopeful that all will be well by the fall of 2021. There is lots to see in BC, give yourself some time. It depends on how long you have but spend some time on Vancouver Island if you are able.

We were going to have a couple of days in Vancouver, when we cruised last year we had a couple of days in Vancouver and did the Capilano Suspension bridge, Gas Town, Gardens, open to ideas for Vancouver, we really liked the hotel we stayed in too.

We cancelled our Alaska cruise this August.  First time to Alaska for son's 21st.  Very disappointed.  Not going to consider booking a cruise or traveling to the US for at least two years.  We were to cruise out of Vancouver.  

9 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

We cancelled our Alaska cruise this August.  First time to Alaska for son's 21st.  Very disappointed.  Not going to consider booking a cruise or traveling to the US for at least two years.  We were to cruise out of Vancouver.  

Keep in mind Alaska is a long way from the lower 48 states, There is an ocean and whole other country in between. fly direct into YVR and spend some time in Vancouver, a couple days in Victoria (on Vancouver Island)

• Like 1

I was hoping to be helpful, while the US statistics are dismal to say the least, Alaska's Stats are much better. If any Aussies are wanting to go to Alaska but want to stay out of the US come to BC, we have everything Alaska has except Kodiak Bears but we do have Grizzlies. Big Province though, give yourself time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

….. if you can and have some days in Vancouver pre or post cruise, you can go to Victoria, Butchart Gardens, Whistler etc on day tours from Vancouver on Gray Line etc, plus visit Timmy Horton.🤑  

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I agree with Uncle Les . Treat the Alaska cruise as part of your trip and do a tour to the wilderness area or the Rockies . 

agree 100 %. We did a 10N self drive tour of Rockies - Calgary to Vancouver, ahead of our Alaskan cruise. It was the highlight of our trip.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Keep in mind Alaska is a long way from the lower 48 states, There is an ocean and whole other country in between. fly direct into YVR and spend some time in Vancouver, a couple days in Victoria (on Vancouver Island)

We had 3days booked in Vancouver and were looking forward to it.  Understand where Alaska is located and I believe it hasn't been impacted much by covid -(correct me if I am wrong) My main concern is travel insurance as well as what cruising will look like once this is over.  Love Canada. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Suggest you don't book any Alaska cruises for 2021 in advance.  Once ships are cruising to Alaska, you should be able to book then, without worry.

Note whilst my friend got her deposit refunded for cruise to Alaska this year, she is still waiting for refund from Air Canada. 

You don't get any refunds from air canada I'm sorry only air credits for 2 years.

We did our bucket list trip to Alaska and Canada last year after having had to cancel it three years prior due to DVT then lupus diagnosis. So pleased we managed to see it. I would love to go again, Vancouver was just beautiful and Alaska weather in May stunning. 

• Like 2

We are booked mid may 2021 Vancouver - Fairbanks on Coral Princess with the Connoisseur tour up into the Princess wilderness lodge.  Then sailing back early June on Celebrity - Seward to Vancouver.  We were to have done this trip this year.  Hopeful it will work out in 2021 but must say not confident it will go ahead.  

What will be will be.