RCL and NCL joint task force announced

2 minutes ago, Anton said:

So "initial recommendations" by August. Then a bunch of back and forth to fine tune. Then submission to CDC for approval.

There will be no cruising until 2021. 

• Like 3

The RCI/NCL Panel is truly made up of long-time and well-known public health experts, very impressive panel. MSC has also announced their Expert Panel and stated that they have been working wit the EU for the past month on the EU guidelines. Glad to hear that the cruise lines are working on guidelines. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

So "initial recommendations" by August. Then a bunch of back and forth to fine tune. Then submission to CDC for approval.

That’s my take on it.  The first quarter of 2021 may even be in doubt.

37 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Sounds about right.  And unfortunately the final report could probably be titled:

"How to resume cruising but suck all the fun out of it".

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Sounds about right.  And unfortunately the final report could probably be titled:

"How to resume cruising but suck all the fun out of it".

Akin to how most previously enjoyed activities are being phased in.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Anton said:

That’s my take on it.  The first quarter of 2021 may even be in doubt.

I had recently seen Gottlieb who is one of the co-chairs quoted on CNBC where he works as a consultant as saying he thinks

pandemic will be over by January.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/07/02/scott-gottlieb-covid-19-pandemic-over-by-january-squawk-box.html

3 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

I had recently seen Gottlieb who is one of the co-chairs quoted on CNBC where he works as a consultant as saying he thinks

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/07/02/scott-gottlieb-covid-19-pandemic-over-by-january-squawk-box.html

Yes, my husband was watching that interview, I thought it was interesting.

Great move, but in the end medicine will dictate when it's "safe" to cruise.

No one has been able to answer the big problem even if we get rapid response testing - test negative embarking, but then show symptoms on day 4.  By then it's too late (potentially) and others will have been exposed.  This is the #1 issue for cruise lines IMO.  Hope the vaccine comes soon!

• Like 2

it is encouraging to see the cruise lines working together on a plan. I think it will be easier to get CDC buyin if they come to them with 1 plan vs. a plan for each line. 

• Like 3

I expected something like this to come from CLIA but I suppose it's better to be U.S. centric.  Looks like they included some political weight to the panel to help them navigate interaction with government when the time comes.  Basically a part lobby group under the guise of a health panel.  

Hope it works.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Great move, but in the end medicine will dictate when it's "safe" to cruise.

No one has been able to answer the big problem even if we get rapid response testing - test negative embarking, but then show symptoms on day 4.  By then it's too late (potentially) and others will have been exposed.  This is the #1 issue for cruise lines IMO.  Hope the vaccine comes soon!

Yes and then by day 4, they could've visited 3 ports and infected locals in the ports

14 minutes ago, pcur said:

I wish I could cancel the rest of my 2020 and get on with it, too!!  😄

...Said no confirmed, self-diagnosed cruise addict ever! 😂😂😂  (3 cruises booked in Nov and Dec)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

You do have to put what he said in perspective as far as the term over.

He said that their would either be vaccine or enough people will have caught it for it to not spread efficiently..

The later would mean a slow down in the case numbers such that you would not have the hot spots like we do now and the hospital capacity would not be at risk. The virus would still be present and could probably still cause problems for the cruise lines. So it would be far better for the former.  These at risk would still need to take precautions because the numbers would be down but the virus not gone.

That said he is a very smart individual and is usually pretty accurate in what he says.  He is also on the board of directors of one of the companies involved in vaccine development so he is pretty informed on status.

Read in a couple of places that while announcing this panel to the press Fain said he expects to partially resume sailing on 9/16/20.   Seems a stretch as panel isn't scheduled to return it's findings until the end of August and then they need to get approval from CDC and implement new procedures.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, twangster said:

I expected something like this to come from CLIA but I suppose it's better to be U.S. centric.  Looks like they included some political weight to the panel to help them navigate interaction with government when the time comes.  Basically a part lobby group under the guise of a health panel.  

Hope it works.  

Glad it has both NCL and RCCL along with the political weight.  I hope it will move the CDC to begin working with the Industry on Protocols.  I also read on another social media site that 22 RCCL employees worked on the EU protocols.  

15 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Read in a couple of places that while announcing this panel to the press Fain said he expects to partially resume sailing on 9/16/20.   Seems a stretch as panel isn't scheduled to return it's findings until the end of August and then they need to get approval from CDC and implement new procedures.

I was talking with my TA yesterday and she told me that RCI has increased the TA commission by 1% for any cruises they sell for October and November of 2020. I realize the increase is not much but it seems RCI hopes to be cruising by October.

• Like 1