NCL/RCL team to develop reopening plans for CDC

On 9/9/2020 at 1:07 AM, Steve Q said:

Hopefully, this is not a major setback. They were one of the first out of the gate in development.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/health/coronavirus-vaccine-astrazeneca-pause/index.html

On 9/9/2020 at 3:35 AM, greykitty said:

They will pause, as they have, for one instance.  If there's a direct linkage, we'll see more investigation before release is contemplated.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/health/coronavirus-astrazeneca-vaccine-safety.html

The Astra Zeneca/Oxon trials are resuming following the short pause for a safety review 🙂 : BBC

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

The Astra Zeneca/Oxon trials are resuming following the short pause for a safety review 🙂 : BBC

let’s keep our fingers crossed that all goes well.

Below is a video link from yesterday with Dr Scott Gottlieb. He offers some thoughts about the coming autumn and winter seasons. It is a 4 minute clip.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/09/11/scott-gottlieb-im-afraid-were-heading-into-fall-with-higher-covid-19-infection-numbers.html

• Like 1

One step forward, one step back, seems like - which doesn't seem odd to me.  My state seemingly was getting a handle on opening up safely, but now I fear we're going to go back to lockdown since many people don't seem to take this all seriously too many times.

And, still on hold in US - although I believe a restart in Brazil.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/14/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-trial-in-us-on-hold-until-at-least-midweek-sources-say.html

And Israel prepares for second, three week, lockdown - sounds super strict and goes through the High Holidays.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/israel-prepares-for-its-second-nationwide-covid-19-lockdown-11600109570

https://news.yahoo.com/israel-goes-second-nationwide-covid-232733119.html

And UK implements Rule of 6 regarding gatherings

https://news.yahoo.com/uk-implements-gathering-restrictions-curb-190816837.html

Edited by greykitty
move citations

The problem with this thread is that as Regent ships are not flagged in USA, then the CDC has no juristication over them except out of US ports as foreign vessels. Equally Regent has multi-national passengers where they will not be able to access the ships. And many countries are not accepting US citizens whilst the pandemic is out of control in many parts of USA.  In the UK you would have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival. 

To make cruising viable for US citizens, we need not only agreement from the CDC but also open ports who will allow us to visit.  Regent may be able to sail outside the US, but that is unlikely to be viable without the ability for US citizens to travel to the cruises.  And the number that would be willing to do that, especially if the CDC says not to sail, may not be enough to fill the ships. 

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

It's not only the "can we get there from here" kind of thing for the foreign ports, but what worries me more, is can we get back into the US depending on where we've been.

we can always come back...no restrictions unless Australia etc.   

5 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Thanks for the link flossie009.  Really don't think this will go anywhere as believe it is the law right now that CDC and Coast Guard have the authority over cruise ships so that law, if I am correct would need to be removed.

In addition, this bill brings in many agencies that would be starting from scratch and while CDC is taking its' time, they do have the experience from past history while starting from scratch will simply, IMHO delay even further sailing resuming.

I for one will NOT sail under this group cluster.  Remember the old story about a zebra being created by a committee??

18 minutes ago, Foyt said:

Thanks for the link flossie009.  Really don't think this will go anywhere as believe it is the law right now that CDC and Coast Guard have the authority over cruise ships so that law, if I am correct would need to be removed.

In addition, this bill brings in many agencies that would be starting from scratch and while CDC is taking its' time, they do have the experience from past history while starting from scratch will simply, IMHO delay even further sailing resuming.

I for one will NOT sail under this group cluster.  Remember the old story about a zebra being created by a committee??

Yes Foyt, you are correct about CDC having the authority to issue the stop sailing order as in the order it states it was issued under a US Code, USC giving them the authority and as long as that authority exists, this hodge podge group of many agencies I am sure do not have the authority to remove that no sail order so they can do all the work they want but, only CDC can lift the No Sail order which likely will be extended shortly.

And howiefrommd is also correct in that may bills are introduced that simply die before even getting in front of the entire body of either the house or senate.  Once someone notes the CDC has the only authority to lift the stop sailing order the bill will be quickly forgotten.

Like I have said earlier the blame goes on both the CDC and the cruise industry so nobodies hands are clean.

Why does everyone assume that just because Europe screwed up and let the virus come back even worse than it did the first time, that the US of A will suffer the same fate?  Not saying it won't happen but I am still in my happy place with how the numbers are going.

Marc

16 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Why does everyone assume that just because Europe screwed up and let the virus come back even worse than it did the first time, that the US of A will suffer the same fate?  Not saying it won't happen but I am still in my happy place with how the numbers are going.

Marc

It's called the second wave, right? Not so much a screw-up as an inevitable lockdown fatigue. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

It's called the second wave, right? Not so much a screw-up as an inevitable lockdown fatigue. 

Wendy, the trick is not to get lockdown fatigue.  We have been open at various levels since May.  When the surge came in June and July they cut back but they still left restaurants and retail open.  Our numbers have come back down and we are set to reopen gyms and increased capacity at retail and restaurants.  Movie theaters are open (although few choose to go), high school football and college football have started, and things are moving towards a new normal.  Folks wear masks in stores and restaurants (when away from table) and we are managing.  

If you lock everyone down and then say; ok, we have won, you can now party (like France and Spain), you get that rebound.  If you give people flexible cuffs and say we will tighten and loosen as needed people adapt.  

Marc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

If you lock everyone down and then say; ok, we have won, you can now party (like France and Spain), you get that rebound.  If you give people flexible cuffs and say we will tighten and loosen as needed people adapt.  

Marc

Yes, but... Lots of jurisdictions have been opening up very cautiously, but citizens have still gone ahead and "done their own thing" because they're tired of it all.  That's happening here in Ontario to some extent, and I know it's happened in parts of Europe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes, but... Lots of jurisdictions have been opening up very cautiously, but citizens have still gone ahead and "done their own thing" because they're tired of it all.  That's happening here in Ontario to some extent, and I know it's happened in parts of Europe.

I think you need to look at what the tolerance is for new cases too.  In Texas (double the population of Ontario) daily new cases are in the 3,000 - 4,000 range and I gather this is acceptable.  In Ontario, the recent growth to 400 new cases a day has been declared a very serious problem, with significant agreement from the population.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I think you need to look at what the tolerance is for new cases too.  In Texas (double the population of Ontario) daily new cases are in the 3,000 - 4,000 range and I gather this is acceptable.  In Ontario, the recent growth to 400 new cases a day has been declared a very serious problem, with significant agreement from the population.

Very well said; all life is a tradeoff.   We are trying to address the virus whilst still maintaining jobs for our populace.

Quoting Leon Megginson:

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1