Medical Conditions

Similar to some of the questions being asked about health issues, I wondered if a condition like heart failure (completely controlled by medication) would stop me joining an expedition.  Would I need a doctor/consultant to agree ?  Whilst reasonably fit and well I am aware that there are certain things I'm not able to do and I would never jeopardise myself or others.  I know my limitations but just to be able to stand on Antarctica or the Arctic would be amazing !  

• Like 1

@PerfectlyPerth 's response is accurate! 

As we mentioned in a thread previously, we require our guests to be able to go up and down a flight of stairs multiple times a day. If you are able to do that, you shouldn't have a problem onboard. 

In terms of your health condition, we'd recommend you check in with your doctor/physician on their recommendation. If they say you are good to go, we shouldn't have a problem. Once you book your expedition, you'll also be required to submit a few medical forms that would require you to provide more info about your condition and allow our lead expedition doctor to give you the official go ahead to travel. 

Please note that our expeditions explore really remote places and specialized emergency care is not as easily available and pre-existing conditions would mean that you are traveling at your own risk. However, all our Antarctic guests have an included emergency evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $500,000 per person. In this case, guests are airlifted to the closest medical facility. 

We're happy to answer any additional questions! 🙂

• 3 years later...

I'm a little late to this thread, yet hoping the Quark rep can give me an answer:

You say "Emergency Evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $500,000 per person."

We're looking at travel insurance and wonder if your inclusion allows us to buy less expensive travel insurance with reduced evacuation features.

I'm wondering what insurance company you use for the evacuation.