Mendenhall Glacier and Hatchery with NCL

etravel

So looking at the Mendenhall Glacier and Hatchery Tour with NCL on the Bliss for next year...It's a 3 hour tour, and thought that would be good to leave us a little time to visit Red Dog Saloon or the Alaskan Hotel! (Are either of those close to the Port?)...Anyone have any experience with that tour with NCL? It's pretty reasonable, but is there a better or different way or tour to see Mendenhall (hatchery as well if possible)...Of course the Bliss is there for a short time, 730am to 130pm..which is a bit of a bummer so trying to make the best of the short time there! Thanks....

I have no experience with the tour, but I live in Juneau. The Red Dog and the Alaskan are both right down town, so they are incredibly easy to get to from the ships. Heads up that your ship will be docked furthest from downtown, about a mile. It's an easy walk and there is also a shuttle; not sure if it is free or not.

If you hit up the Red Dog, get a duck fart. But then go to the Alaskan and have a beer. They also make a great G&T, particularly with 50 Fathoms Gin, which is from the nearby town of Haines. Juneauites actually go to the Alaskan. 😉

1 hour ago, GrayStarling said:

Heads up that your ship will be docked furthest from downtown, about a mile. It's an easy walk and there is also a shuttle; not sure if it is free or not.

The shuttle is not free; when we were there some years ago, it was at least $5.00 per person. 

We were docked at the AJ dock twice (2013 AND 2016) with NCL. Both times NCL provided a large tour bus constantly going back and forth from the dock to Mt Roberts tram lot free of charge. It sounds like you won't know if it is free or not until you get there.

2 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

The shuttle is not free; when we were there some years ago, it was at least $5.00 per person. 

NCL,  offered a free shuttle-  in the past.  🙂  

9 hours ago, etravel said:

So looking at the Mendenhall Glacier and Hatchery Tour with NCL on the Bliss for next year...It's a 3 hour tour, and thought that would be good to leave us a little time to visit Red Dog Saloon or the Alaskan Hotel! (Are either of those close to the Port?)...Anyone have any experience with that tour with NCL? It's pretty reasonable, but is there a better or different way or tour to see Mendenhall (hatchery as well if possible)...Of course the Bliss is there for a short time, 730am to 130pm..which is a bit of a bummer so trying to make the best of the short time there! Thanks....

WHEN is your trip?   Essential for value of the hatchery.     What is your reason for going to  Mendenahall -  what do you want to do there?       Absolutely needs to be determined

10 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

WHEN is your trip?   Essential for value of the hatchery.     What is your reason for going to  Mendenahall -  what do you want to do there?       Absolutely needs to be determined

BQ,,,the trip is next year (hopefully!) June 26th on the Bliss...we do ISP which is where we plan to whale watch with Glacier Winds..so then in Juneua thinking what to do and really considering Mendenhall and the hatchery if that's a good time of year to do that? Or maybe the Mt. Roberts tram excursion might be nice too? Would have thought about Harv and Marv whale excursion, but wanted to break that up a bit since we are doing that in ISP...although I'm sure you can never miss a chance to see more whales!!! Any other suggestions for Juneau? 

Just now, etravel said:

BQ,,,the trip is next year (hopefully!) June 26th on the Bliss...we do ISP which is where we plan to whale watch with Glacier Winds..so then in Juneua thinking what to do and really considering Mendenhall and the hatchery if that's a good time of year to do that? Or maybe the Mt. Roberts tram excursion might be nice too? Would have thought about Harv and Marv whale excursion, but wanted to break that up a bit since we are doing that in ISP...although I'm sure you can never miss a chance to see more whales!!! Any other suggestions for Juneau? 

We don't have that long in Juneau  (730a to 130p )which is disappointing but otherwise I really like the itinerary...And so you try to catch the Red Dog Saloon and the Alaska Hotel if time permits? 

6 hours ago, etravel said:

You are too early for salmon runs,  so,  skip the hatchery.   Your time is too short to even bother in my opinion.  Most efficient for Mendenhall,  is just to arrange taxi service.   Then you have the time for YOUR activities you wish to include.   Eg,  Nugget Falls trail is popular.  I also,  greatly enjoy the Trail of Time,  and always take it,  I  either use a car rental or public bus.  🙂       You will need to call for your return taxi at least 30 minutes  prior to needing it.   Easy to then judge your ability to add downtown activities.  

24 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

You are too early for salmon runs,  so,  skip the hatchery.   Your time is too short to even bother in my opinion.  Most efficient for Mendenhall,  is just to arrange taxi service.   Then you have the time for YOUR activities you wish to include.   Eg,  Nugget Falls trail is popular.  I also,  greatly enjoy the Trail of Time,  and always take it,  I  either use a car rental or public bus.  🙂       You will need to call for your return taxi at least 30 minutes  prior to needing it.   Easy to then judge your ability to add downtown activities.  

BQ and the taxi service is that arranged in advance? Or just when you get into the port? 

3 minutes ago, etravel said:

BQ and the taxi service is that arranged in advance? Or just when you get into the port? 

With your short time,  arrange your departure ahead.   I've used both Evergreen and Capital.    You can arrange a pick up in advance,   but it may be difficult to judge how much time you want at Mendenhall?   You need to call yourself,  so have numbers,   if a pick up isn't arranged ahead.   

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2020 at 4:37 PM, pizzalady1 said:

We were docked at the AJ dock twice (2013 AND 2016) with NCL. Both times NCL provided a large tour bus constantly going back and forth from the dock to Mt Roberts tram lot free of charge. It sounds like you won't know if it is free or not until you get there.

On 7/7/2020 at 5:56 PM, Budget Queen said:

NCL,  offered a free shuttle-  in the past.  🙂  

Thanks both. 😊

That's a very short excursion to enjoy both the hatchery and the glacier.  I would look at a longer excursion just to Mendenhall.  The hatchery wasn't so interesting when we went there.