Sounds like something is happening July 13th. Sounds like some 2021 cruises are impacted.

Stockjock

Just called to cancel my cruise on Preziosa 10-23-20 out of Southhampton.  Even though I don't think it showed as cancelled on their list, it was in fact cancelled.  I requested a cash refund and told the agent I was on a recorded line.  I recorded the conversation on my iPhone, which I recommend just in case they pull a fast one and try to stick you with a future cruise credit when you request cash.

The agent said that he could "submit a request", but there were some changes coming July 13th and it couldn't really be processed until after that date.  I asked what the changes were and he said, "I'm not really sure, but I do recommend checking back after July 13th".  I told him that I'm currently on Day 98 and I only have free cancellation rights until roughly that date.  He said, "I think there's a new process and I do recommend checking back.  Don't worry, you'll still get your cash back.  Just check back after July 13th".

I also asked him about next year's cruise, October 2021 out of Southhampton as well, but different ship and different itinerary.  I was not wanting to cancel that one but the agent said, "That's the same situation, it also shows as closed in my system".  I asked what that meant and made sure he was looking at 2021 and not 2020 in the 2nd instance.  He said, "Yes sir, I"m looking at your cruise on Magnifica in 2021.  I'm not sure if it's cancelled, if they're changing the itinerary or what.  We should have more information after July 13th".

In a way, it sounds pretty sketchy, since it only puts me about 2 days from my 90 day window.  Tempted to call my credit card company, as I don't think I should have to make multiple calls to cancel a cruise that's already been cancelled and is within the free cancellation windown

Anyway, that's all I know.  There may be some new information coming out July 13th.  We'll see.

FWIW, I did just call AMEX and put a dispute on the $398 deposit.  While it's entirely possible that everything the MSC agent told me is true and that they complete the refund as promised, the whole situation about checking back on or after July 13th strikes me as kind of sketchy.  And coincidentally, that puts me almost exactly at 90 days out, and as you know, usually that cash refund window closes on day 90.

In the event that I'm refunded, I'll simply call AMEX, inform them, and close out the dispute.

Somewhat similar.  Our ship switched from Seaview to Fantasia - rome/dubai.  I want to cancel cruise but agent said its locked, h til they can assign me my YC cabin. - call back early next week.   Was told previously that i needed to wait until 01 Jukg which has definitely passed

2 hours ago, sidari said:

So they keep changing the dates of their so called announcement, July 1st now 13th ! 

I think if there's any reasonable doubts or concerns, disputing the charge is a good idea.  And there may be time limits on disputes.  AMEX has a "normal" cutoff of 1 year, but they were still able to submit on my behalf.

Obviously, we don't want to submit disputes needlessly, but if anyone feels they're getting the runaround or misled, it might not be a bad idea.  Disputes can always be cancelled, once resolved.

2 hours ago, sidari said:

So they keep changing the dates of their so called announcement, July 1st now 13th ! 

I had same thing happen to me on the 28th. Clueless agent put my FCC on a newly created booking instead of an existing booking, now you cant reverse it, and realized what she did and then the answer was im sorry sir call back after July 1st theres nothing else I can do. July 1 came and went. Nothing. Not good. 

Just got this from my Travel Agent who was trying to get my FCC applied to the next cruise- 

"She did say there’s a mass release of FCCs on July 17th, and supposedly 90% of the FCCs will be complete."

"She" being the MSC agent. Us being USA. I don't know if that's related to the announcement you are referring to or not.

Maybe the big announcement will be an apology how badly they've handled the refunds, the cancels and moves with many no notice on the late year/early next year Florida sailings, and the other ship delays and moves with people having to find out here on CC.

On 7/7/2020 at 11:37 AM, marcoigna said:

Somewhat similar.  Our ship switched from Seaview to Fantasia - rome/dubai.  I want to cancel cruise but agent said its locked, h til they can assign me my YC cabin. - call back early next week.   Was told previously that i needed to wait until 01 Jukg which has definitely passed

Are you saying that you called to cancel and they said you couldn't until next week?  If so, that would be unacceptable to me and I would escalate the issue.  The cancellation rules are spelled out very clearly. If you are acting within the rules, on what grounds can the cruise line arbitrarily refuse/delay your cancellation?  It sounds fishy as hell to me.

I know you didn’t direct question to me, but that was my experience. I called to cancel and they insisted that I call back after the 13th. He kind of sort of said he got some thing started but it does not appear so. The cruise is still listed under my bookings and the only thing that appears to have changed is a pending refund for a prepaid drink package.

As I mentioned, I have put a dispute on the deposit just to try to protect myself in case they pull a fast one. The day that they want me to call them back is only 1-2 days prior to the final payment deadline.  My cruise is not paid in full, so it would not shock me for them to try to say that I did not cancel and therefore have forfeited my deposit. I’m not sure that they would do that, but I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure it doesn’t happen.

As I also mentioned, I gave them my name and told them that they were on a recorded line and I saved the recording. I simply put my telephone on speaker mode, and then use the video record feature on my iPhone. I’m sure there are better ways to do it but it worked just fine, and if I end up having a problem, I have memorialized the conversation.

Edited by Stockjock

53 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Are you saying that you called to cancel and they said you couldn't until next week?  If so, that would be unacceptable to me and I would escalate the issue.  The cancellation rules are spelled out very clearly. If you are acting within the rules, on what grounds can the cruise line arbitrarily refuse/delay your cancellation?  It sounds fishy as hell to me.

cabin assigned to booking today so now i easily cancelled.  60-90 day refund period.  Im okay with that. 

I'm going with the most extreme conspiracy theory.  Mass reshuffling of the fleet and itineraries again. Now needing to correct earlier missteps.  Ex.  Putting non-YC ships as replacements for YC ships.  😉

33 minutes ago, marcoigna said:

cabin assigned to booking today so now i easily cancelled.  60-90 day refund period.  Im okay with that. 

Glad it worked out👍  Sounded really weird to me.

18 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

I'm going with the most extreme conspiracy theory.  Mass reshuffling of the fleet and itineraries again. Now needing to correct earlier missteps.  Ex.  Putting non-YC ships as replacements for YC ships.  😉

I am booked on Lirica Dubai to Venice April 2021 to replace the cancelled 2020 cruise. I looked today to see if there was a price drop, and there are no Lirica cruises for 2021.  If I want a Suez Canal Grand Voyage I'll need to take Fantasia Dubai to Rome or Genoa.  So, definitely changes in the fleet.

On 7/7/2020 at 11:42 AM, Stockjock said:

The agent said that he could "submit a request", but there were some changes coming July 13th and it couldn't really be processed until after that date.  I asked what the changes were and he said, "I'm not really sure, but I do recommend checking back after July 13th".  I told him that I'm currently on Day 98 and I only have free cancellation rights until roughly that date.  He said, "I think there's a new process and I do recommend checking back.  Don't worry, you'll still get your cash back.  Just check back after July 13th".

Stockjock, I'm curious as to whether you have checked back yet and if you were able to get what you needed. I wonder if anything happened yesterday. My date was July 17, but that was specific to FCC's and you were inquiring about cancellations and refunds. 

6 hours ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

Stockjock, I'm curious as to whether you have checked back yet and if you were able to get what you needed. I wonder if anything happened yesterday. My date was July 17, but that was specific to FCC's and you were inquiring about cancellations and refunds. 

I called yesterday to get a refund on the cruise they cancelled (Oct 2020), which was my 3rd call and to cancel one for next year (double booking - changed to balcony).  Last call, they said I couldn't cancel either, as the "system wouldn't accept it".  This last time, they cancelled the 2021 cruise (allegedly), but said I'd now have to check back after July 22nd to cancel the October 2020.  I was concerned that it's within the 90 days and they said not to worry about it.

Beyond that, the usual misinformation from MSC.  First agent said 2020 cruise cancelled.  Second agent said definitely not cancelled.  Next day e-mail said it was cancelled.  Par for the course.