Frankly, I'm Really Worried....

Lovincruisin1321

9 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Yes, those that have had COVID-19 do develop antibodies.

But two new scientific studies have discovered that those antibodies start to fade very, very quickly.

For example, a study that was recently conducted in China found that more than 90 percent of COVID-19 patients experience steep declines in COVID-19 antibodies “within 2 to 3 months”

A new study from China showed that antibodies faded quickly in both asymptomatic and symptomatic COVID-19 patients during convalescence, raising questions about whether the illness leads to any lasting immunity to the virus afterward.

The study, which focused on 37 asymptomatic and 37 symptomatic patients, showed that more than 90% of both groups showed steep declines in levels of SARS-COV-2–specific immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies within 2 to 3 months after onset of infection, according to a report published yesterday in Nature Medicine. Further, 40% of the asymptomatic group tested negative for IgG antibodies 8 weeks after they were released from isolation.

And a very large study that was just conducted in Spain found that some patients that had initially successfully developed antibodies “no longer had antibodies weeks later”

A large study from Spain showed that antibodies can disappear weeks after people have tested positive, causing some to question how possible it will be to attain herd immunity.

A study published in medical journal Lancet showed 14% of people who tested positive for antibodies no longer had antibodies weeks later.

Needless to say, this is absolutely devastating news, and it has very serious implications for vaccine development

Such findings have implications for vaccine development, since the efficacy of a vaccine hinges on the idea that a dose of weakened or dead virus can prompt your body to generate antibodies that protect you from future infection. If those antibodies are fleeting, a vaccine’s protection would be fleeting too.

Short-lived antibodies also diminish hopes of achieving widespread or permanent herd immunity.

If antibodies can fade in some patients within weeks, and if just about everyone loses them after a few months, that would render any vaccine almost completely useless.

And if these findings are confirmed, we can pretty much forget about ever achieving “herd immunity”.

Instead, we are potentially facing a future in which COVID-19 will be with us permanently, and people will need to understand that there is a possibility that they will be able to get infected repeatedly.

The cruise industry may well be dead.

Better take those refunds.

Yes, actor Tom Hanks just mentioned that his antibodies have started fading and initially were a lot higher. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carol28 said:

I do have an idea about sharing dinner with others.  Perhaps cruise directors will have a cocktail hour where people who would like to share meals with others can meet each other and form dinner tables.  I prefer tables for 6, but even joining one other couple is fine.  

We often meet another couple while on a tour or at the pool, so why not have a 'party' where like-minded people can find other people for dinner?

The way I see it is that if the cruise companies ever do begin sailing someday in the distant future the tables of 4 to 10 people will be gone from all the dining rooms. Unless people specially request a larger table then tables for 2 will be the norm. (and the distance between them will be much greater than in the past)

6 months ago, the situation we are in, not only did not exist, but was not even in our minds!

If you can tell me what will happen in the next 6 months, then you are assume. 

Until then we will continue to book cruises, (2 booked for Jan 2021)and cancel prior to payment accordingly. We will not travel if we don’t feel safe, but planning to travel stimulates us instead of canceling now for an event well in future that we cannot 

predict and fretting over what we won’t be able to do!

Our glass is not half empty nor is it half full, it is just to small.

Harry and Irene

• Like 2

Worry and conjecture will not change the situation.

It will take science, research, and in the interim good leadership.

I am confident that a solution will be found and that cruising will resume. The real question is when and how many people will die  from covid and from our seeming inability or unwillingness to follow the recommendations of our health professionals.

• Like 6

I think once the dust settles whenever this pandemic ends, things will lighten back up on ships, not to the point of before but close enough to still make it a pleasure. Until then, it’ll probably be a very different experience, but I’m willing to do what it takes to be at sea. I don’t think they’ll make it so restrictive that it’s like being in a hospital; no one would book. Cruise lines want their customers to have fun; they’ll just have to get creative. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 8:12 AM, iancal said:

Worry and conjecture will not change the situation.

It will take science, research, and in the interim good leadership.

I am confident that a solution will be found and that cruising will resume. The real question is when and how many people will die  from covid and from our seeming inability or unwillingness to follow the recommendations of our health professionals.

That's seems to be the crux of Covid-19 in our country....we know what to do to curb it so we can return to normal but so many refuse to cooperate and want to play politics with others lives.  Like Pogo said: "We Have Meet The Enemy And He Is Us."

• Like 6

Just cancelled 3 bookings in early 2021, only one left (99% chance of cancelling it)

I am not worried though, my eyes have finally been opened to what really can happen on a Princess cruise (after 44 cruises).  So I have started planning other types of vacations for 2021, thank goodness I am not addicted to cruising.  I can't foresee another cruise in my future.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, cruising deacon said:

I can't foresee another cruise in my future.

Neither can we but we're hopeful that they may come up with a solution in a few years if Princess is still in existence. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

Just cancelled 3 bookings in early 2021, only one left (99% chance of cancelling it)

I am not worried though, my eyes have finally been opened to what really can happen on a Princess cruise (after 44 cruises).  So I have started planning other types of vacations for 2021, thank goodness I am not addicted to cruising.  I can't foresee another cruise in my future.

Glad to see that you think you're not addicted to cruising after only doing it 44 times. 🤔🤔🤔

I have to infer that you think that the changes that will be made post pandemic will not be up to your satisfaction safety wise and thus you no longer foresee vacationing via a method that you have done 44 times. And if you can't foresee another cruise in your future, why not increase that last reservation you have from 99% to 100% and cancel it?  It would put you out of your possible misery so that you can research other types of vacations for 2021 and beyond.

• Thanks 1