Sea & Sun's Sister ship sold.

The P&O Oceana has been sold.  See link

She entered service in February 2000 as Ocean Princess for Princess Cruises, and served under her current name for P&O Cruises from 2002 to 2020. Source

What is the possibility of the Sea or Sun Princess being sold?

CRUISE-Oceana .jpg

22 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The P&O Oceana has been sold.  See link

She entered service in February 2000 as Ocean Princess for Princess Cruises, and served under her current name for P&O Cruises from 2002 to 2020. Source

What is the possibility of the Sea or Sun Princess being sold?

CRUISE-Oceana .jpg

Possibility, all Carnival. Poms wont be happy they liked ye old oceana.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Possibility, all Carnival. Poms wont be happy they liked ye old oceana.

I like the Sea and Sun Princess and would miss them if one was sold. The longer this COVID-19 lasts the closer it gets to possible Chapter 11 reorganisation IMHO.

Jumping the gun, but IF sun and sea were sold, and the world cruises ex Sydney continue, which ship would princess use you reckon? Island is supposed to be coming here, that would be ok for a worldie, coral would be better, not been butchered for the sake of extra cabins.

Edited by NSWP

33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Jumping the gun, but IF sun and sea were sold, and the world cruises ex Sydney continue, which ship would princess use you reckon? Island is supposed to be coming here, that would be ok for a worldie, coral would be better, not been butchered for the sake of extra cabins.

I think it's Coral that is coming here, not Island. Port bookings in Melbourne for Coral have been spotted.

Rumour has it that Princess is releasing the 2021/2022 season itineraries on the 15th so I guess we'll find out then.

• Like 1

Try saying the topic title quickly. 😁

I've been on Sea Princess twice and both times she broke down in various ways. Propulsion problems, flooding, ship wide electrical shutdown, fire in the library, none of these engendered confidence in her.

I haven't been on Sun, but they are both getting on in years and so long as they get replaced by Grand class ships I won't complain. Please no Royal class ships.

23 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Try saying the topic title quickly. 😁

I've been on Sea Princess twice and both times she broke down in various ways. Propulsion problems, flooding, ship wide electrical shutdown, fire in the library, none of these engendered confidence in her.

I haven't been on Sun, but they are both getting on in years and so long as they get replaced by Grand class ships I won't complain. Please no Royal class ships.

Agree I am not a fan of the Royal Class, but like the Grand Class.

I've been on Sun twice, Dawn before she went to P&O, and most recently 35 nights on Sea. I much prefer that class of ship even though they are getting on in years. They have a certain charm that the newer ships don't have, are a good size for visiting smaller ports, have wonderful promenade decks, and the best Crooners.

I like the Grand Class ships too, at least some of them - I didn't like Ruby much. I don't like the Royal Class ships although Royal was OK for a port intensive Med cruise.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I have to agree with you OzKiwiJJ about the three sisters that were here in Australia. Our first cruise was on the Dawn. We were fortunate to be on the Sea for the 2017 World Cruise. We also enjoyed doing the same cruise as you last September to Hawaiʻi. Many fond memories which we will cherish until, who knows when, cruising re-commences. I don't think Princess would send the Ruby down here, it would be like rubbing salt into the wound. 

I have to say that Sea Princess cruise last year was probably the best Princess cruise we've been on. The MDR meals were very, very good (sometomes they can be very average), the entertainment was great, there never seemed to be any problems getting a table for c coffees in Crooners or La Patisserie. It had all the signs of a ship well managed from the top down, and the Captain was lovely - he often wandered through Crooners in the early evenings chatting to passengers. Plus we loved the new wine list - we were in wine heaven trying all the overseas wines that we rarely get a chance to drink at reasonable (restaurant) prices. 

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've been on Sun twice, Dawn before she went to P&O, and most recently 35 nights on Sea. I much prefer that class of ship even though they are getting on in years. They have a certain charm that the newer ships don't have, are a good size for visiting smaller ports, have wonderful promenade decks, and the best Crooners.

I like the Grand Class ships too, at least some of them - I didn't like Ruby much. I don't like the Royal Class ships although Royal was OK for a port intensive Med cruise.

The additional passenger deck on crown and ruby impact on space in public areas, having been on the super grands, ruby and crown. I prefer the first edition of grand class.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The additional passenger deck on crown and ruby impact on space in public areas, having been on the super grands, ruby and crown. I prefer the first edition of grand class.

Exactly. And add in a heap of families on a December cruise and it's so overcrowded it's unpleasant. 

We have cruised on the Oceania (14 day B2B out of Malta in 2017), as well as the Sun and the Dawn, but have not cruised on Sea Princess. 

Love this class of ship.....very wide promenades that go completely around the ship, as well as great lounges.

On 7/10/2020 at 8:59 PM, Fletch1 said:

We have cruised on the Oceania (14 day B2B out of Malta in 2017), as well as the Sun and the Dawn, but have not cruised on Sea Princess. 

Love this class of ship.....very wide promenades that go completely around the ship, as well as great lounges.

I agree, having been on Sun, sea and Dawn Princesses over the years. Good design and just 2000 pax, perfecto. 

45 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

If the Sea and Sun are sold, I personally don't think Princess will offer a world cruise from Australia and will only deploy ships here in our summer months.

They did keep Golden here throughout winter one year. If things were normal I'd expect them to still base a couple of ships here all year round and still operate the world cruise and otherong cruises. However who knows what the long term impacts of Covid-19 will be on cruising.

Reported on Friday in US of A. Not looking good for Princess Australia's old R class ships.

"In June, Carnival announced that six ships would leave its fleet within 90 days. Friday, Carnival said additional ships would be removed from the fleet, reducing it by nearly 9%.

The 13 ships will meet different fates. One was sold in June, four are agreed upon for sale, five will be disposed of and there are "preliminary" agreements for three ships, according to Friday's earnings report." USA Today

20 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Reported on Friday in US of A. Not looking good for Princess Australia's old R class ships.

"In June, Carnival announced that six ships would leave its fleet within 90 days. Friday, Carnival said additional ships would be removed from the fleet, reducing it by nearly 9%.

The 13 ships will meet different fates. One was sold in June, four are agreed upon for sale, five will be disposed of and there are "preliminary" agreements for three ships, according to Friday's earnings report." USA Today

We could all chip in and and buy ye olde Sea Princess or Sun Princess.   But to be serious who is going to purchase these 20 plus year old ships.

Edited by NSWP

7 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Ship breaking scrap yards.

Ship Breaking - CruiseMapper

Looks like Tempe Tip, as we used to say.  I have seen docos on those ship breaking places in India etc.  Blokes get about $1 a day for working there and salvaging stuff that is worth something like copper wire etc. They all live in cardboard shanty towns near the yards, pathetic, 9th World.  Sad state of affairs, we don't know how lucky we are, even if it is raining and cold down here today.

Edited by NSWP

Thanks David, that first one looked like a passenger ship, good parking though.  What a sad way for a vessel to end its life.  Sounding their horn as they come in to the beach is like the death rattle, well it is.

Edited by NSWP