Well. . .well. . .here we go again. . .

I hadn't checked the info in Coronavirus: Updated Cruise Ship Policies and Cancellations from the link on the CC home page lately, but I did today.  The article indicates that it was updated on July 7 at 3:44 PM.  https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5016/

The below travel restrictions have now been added to the Carnival updates.  They weren't there the last time I looked.  The European Union guidelines for restarting cruising in the EU also mentioned similar restrictions, (but without requiring a doctor's clearance in the EU), so I guess this is what we might also have to deal with in the US. . .again.  I see absolutely nothing on the US Carnival website in the Health & Sailing Updates about any of this, though.  So, I'm not sure where CC's info is coming from, and all the other information on the page seems up-to-date.   Have I missed something?  I know this was an issue before the No Sail order.

Travel Restrictions:  Carnival will deny boarding to all guests 70 years of age or older unless they have a letter from their physician confirming they are fit to sail. Additionally, all guests will be asked if they have been hospitalized in the past two months for or if they have a history of chronic or severe medical conditions. The CDC defines chronic conditions as an illness persisting for a long time or constantly recurring, such as diabetes, heart, kidney or lung disease. Additional severe medical conditions include: suppressed immunity (active cancer, taking steroids) or if the person requires oxygen for any reason. Guests with chronic or severe medical conditions will not be allowed to sail.

I think this information from around March when they were still cruising.  Carnivals website does not list any restrictions for sailing.  I am sure once they start sailing again, there will be some restrictions put in place. We will have to wait and see.

• Like 1

I'm sure there will be many restrictions in place when cruising starts again, and I know this was also in effect before sailing was suspended.   I also know that this information was not posted in the CC article regarding Carnival about 2 weeks ago when I last checked.  I'm just curious about where CC got the information and if it is legitimate since the date is July 7, 2020 and everything else regarding cancellations, etc., seems up-to-date.

Edited by NuisanceLuke
Clarity

Being updated "July 7 at 3:44 PM" might just mean someone edited the webpage or source file to correct a typo or other minor change without impacting or updating actual content, or worse, went in to view it, and hit "save" instead of "exit without saving" even though no changes were made.

I guess I'm not being too clear here for some reason or the other, but the "Over 70 and chronic illness" bit was NOT there two weeks ago.  Maybe the time stamp means nothing, but the info regarding the restrictions IS new.  I give up.

7 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Looking at the link you provided, the page has been updated today (8 July), and does not seem to contain that wording any more.  So possibly just a transient error in cut-pasting.

Maybe CC saw my post and corrected it, although it would be nice if they acknowledged that here.  The time stamp of  July 8th means something changed since I posted.

_______

ETA:  Just checked the link, and the travel restrictions are now gone.

Edited by NuisanceLuke

4 minutes ago, NuisanceLuke said:

Maybe CC saw my post and corrected it, although it would be nice if they acknowledged that here.  The time stamp of  July 8th means something changed since I posted.

_______

ETA:  Just checked the link, and the travel restrictions are now gone.

Well, thank you for pointing out their error to them. I guess a Mod saw it and took action. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NuisanceLuke said:

I hadn't checked the info in Coronavirus: Updated Cruise Ship Policies and Cancellations from the link on the CC home page lately, but I did today.  The article indicates that it was updated on July 7 at 3:44 PM.  https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5016/

The below travel restrictions have now been added to the Carnival updates.  They weren't there the last time I looked.  The European Union guidelines for restarting cruising in the EU also mentioned similar restrictions, (but without requiring a doctor's clearance in the EU), so I guess this is what we might also have to deal with in the US. . .again.  I see absolutely nothing on the US Carnival website in the Health & Sailing Updates about any of this, though.  So, I'm not sure where CC's info is coming from, and all the other information on the page seems up-to-date.   Have I missed something?  I know this was an issue before the No Sail order.

Travel Restrictions:  Carnival will deny boarding to all guests 70 years of age or older unless they have a letter from their physician confirming they are fit to sail. Additionally, all guests will be asked if they have been hospitalized in the past two months for or if they have a history of chronic or severe medical conditions. The CDC defines chronic conditions as an illness persisting for a long time or constantly recurring, such as diabetes, heart, kidney or lung disease. Additional severe medical conditions include: suppressed immunity (active cancer, taking steroids) or if the person requires oxygen for any reason. Guests with chronic or severe medical conditions will not be allowed to sail.

Wow I hope the "Chronic Conditions" does not hold for the US.  That is discriminatory.  Persons with chronic conditions under the supervision of a doctor with treatment can live a long healthy life.  

9 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Wow I hope the "Chronic Conditions" does not hold for the US.  That is discriminatory.  Persons with chronic conditions under the supervision of a doctor with treatment can live a long healthy life.  

Moot point now, the wording has been removed.

But...it would be legal discrimination, in the name of (your) safety.  Same reason people under a certain height cannot go on certain rides or down certain water slides.

And this was brought about due to the unique conditions of the coronavirus - it isn't standard practice.  That's why the wording is gone (again).

interesting.  We have a cruise booked & paid for, Nov 1, 2020.  I doubt it will sail at all.  But those restrictions would disqualify my husband from sailing if it does sail.  I just wish they would clarify the rules & a guesstimation of when sailing will resume.