Quest to be on first ship out

Myself and several friends have been booking and getting cancelled over and over, it is frustrating but understandable, currently booked on the Mariner on 9/18.

I think the initial cruises will be of short duration (3/4 days) and likely just use the Coco Cay/Nassau routes. It looks like St. Maarten is continuing to wrestle with letting the US folks in as they have moved US flight ban to August 1. I have friends on the island that I talk with daily and I think the issues there are reflective of many of the islands. The government support is minimal and the funds are running out. They have to have visitors to maintain the lifestyle and culture that they have had however there are two groups of folks (those that want to open responsibly and those who want to stay closed to all visitors).

I think the reason we are personally so adamant about being on the first sailing is that we want to be a part of supporting the industry that has given us so many wonderful memories and help shape the new experience by being responsible cruisers. Face coverings and social distancing will be the norm for a while, we should have always been careful about hand washing anyway. It will be a bit different but that is part of the adventure.

Until we actually walk on the ship we will continue to book and await refunds for cancelations, but we will be on the first one out!

How about you?

• Like 4

If you want to be aboard what is poised to be the first cruise out of a US port since the pandemic started, BPCL's is still planning on resuming sailings on July 25th aboard the Grand Celebration. Granted, its not Royal Caribbean, but if they successfully restart on that date, hopefully it will pave the way for all other cruise lines. They seem to have everything in place to make it happen, including guideline approval from the CDC and a "green" status.

https://cruisefever.net/cruise-lines-that-are-resuming-cruises-this-month/

grandcelebrationcruiseship.jpg

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

Good for you!  It's also great to see everyone out enjoying the theme parks.

I was thinking about one of the first NCL sailings but it's right before Scarlet Lady's Maiden Voyage so the exact only time I don't want to acquire anything.  😞

Happy Cruising.

Kudos to all who want to be among the first to sail.  DD has an autoimmune disorder which causes blood clotting, so we'll wait till things settle down.  We are booked on Quantum to Alaska 8-30-21, but if it's not realistically safe by then, we'll rebook later.

OP,  we hope to see you on the Mariner on September 18.  Like you, we keep getting cancelled, but we keep trying.  And neither husband nor I are afraid to be the guinea pigs.  It should be quite the adventure.   We are not at all opposed to social distancing or face masks.  It will likely mean we spend more time in our cabin, which is fine too.  

And if this particular sailing doesn't happen, we have cruises booked for October, November and December.  If they all get cancelled, guess we will save a bunch of money until cruises start back up again! 

• Like 2

I've had a few cancellations this year, and did a L&S for a November sailing I had because I was tired of the cancellations.  I'm just waiting to see when cruising starts back up.  I plan on booking something this fall but only after they start sailing again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

7 hours ago, Bead Pirate said:

Myself and several friends have been booking and getting cancelled over and over, it is frustrating but understandable, currently booked on the Mariner on 9/18.

I think the initial cruises will be of short duration (3/4 days) and likely just use the Coco Cay/Nassau routes. It looks like St. Maarten is continuing to wrestle with letting the US folks in as they have moved US flight ban to August 1. I have friends on the island that I talk with daily and I think the issues there are reflective of many of the islands. The government support is minimal and the funds are running out. They have to have visitors to maintain the lifestyle and culture that they have had however there are two groups of folks (those that want to open responsibly and those who want to stay closed to all visitors).

I think the reason we are personally so adamant about being on the first sailing is that we want to be a part of supporting the industry that has given us so many wonderful memories and help shape the new experience by being responsible cruisers. Face coverings and social distancing will be the norm for a while, we should have always been careful about hand washing anyway. It will be a bit different but that is part of the adventure.

Until we actually walk on the ship we will continue to book and await refunds for cancelations, but we will be on the first one out!

How about you?

NFW

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Tapi said:

They seem to have everything in place to make it happen, including guideline approval from the CDC and a "green" status.

To be fair, that green status is for crew movements, not passengers. I believe BPCL is relying on the expiration of the CDC No Sail order and not some explicit approval from CDC to proceed.

I have had 9 cruises cancelled since this all started.  I have a back to back scheduled bon the Enchantment out of Galveston for Sept 17-25 and Sept 25- Oct 2.  And then Oct 4-11 on Liberty and then the repositioning of the Adventure from NJ to Galveston for Nov 5-16.  Also 2 in December.  As well as quite a few next year.  

I just hope to start cruising again soon, but not sure it will happen.  

I might just keep forwarding my FCC to other dates.  

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

To be fair, that green status is for crew movements, not passengers. I believe BPCL is relying on the expiration of the CDC No Sail order and not some explicit approval from CDC to proceed.

That would sense. I think they will be waiting a while. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I think they will be waiting a while. 

I would assume they sorta think they will actually sail as their first sailing is only 2 weeks away - seems like you can still book the 7/25 sailing.

Just now, Biker19 said:

I would assume they sorta think they will actually sail as their first sailing is only 2 weeks away - seems like you can still book the 7/25 sailing.

Would they not need CDC approval not to mention approval from Bahamas?  It sounds a bit like a 3 hour tour that could become the never ending adventure. 

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I’ve been looking for information about BPCL’s restart plan, not so much because I want to sail on them right away, but out of curiosity on how they are going to pull it off. But there’s not too much information. Since they are such a small player compared to the big cruise lines, not much is being reported. 

What I have gathered from the little information out there is that they were one of the first to submit a Covid response plan to the CDC which they approved. The green status does apply to crew members, but it was a key element to avoid the nightmare that bigger cruise lines have gone through. Instead, the green status allowed them to have crew members in place in order to restart as soon as possible. 

Yes, I agree that their start hinges on the CDC not extending the “no sail order” beyond July 24th, but it seems like BPCL is set on beginning on July 25th if the order does indeed expire. I do wonder if the CDC will extend the order since all CLIA cruise lines have voluntarily agreed to start at a later date. 

One way or another, if BPCL can pull it off, their measures prove effective, and no outbreaks occur as a result of their decision, I believe that it will make a late September-October restart for the other cruise lines a reality. It will either be great for the cruise industry or it will set it back even further. And that’s why I’m closely following how it all unfolds. Cautiously optimistic....

https://www.bahamasparadisecruise.com/covid-19-safety-measures.php

Edited by Tapi

10 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Would they not need CDC approval not to mention approval from Bahamas?

Without other prohibitions in place, once the No Sail order expires, I assume it's the rules before COVID19 that are in place at the US end - their green status for Crew with the CDC may help. BPCL may also have some special dispensation at the Bahamian end.

The CLIA No sail agreement (BPCL is not a member)  through 9/15 may have put off any action by the CDC and BPCL may be the short term beneficiary.

Edited by Biker19

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If Royal isn't even submitting their health plan until the end of August I don't see how they could start sailing Sept 15

There may be lots of things happening in the background which may grease the skids and the plan they will come up with will already be blessed.