EU Releases Health Guidelines for Cruises

seaoma

I got an email from Cruise Critic with an article about the EU Guideline for Cruises. The first topic is distressing and impacts HAL.

It's going to be interesting to see if any of these situations end up on the table with the CDC.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5434/?et_cid=3343001&et_rid=271420012&et_referrer=nav_site_login_us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, seaoma said:

I got an email from Cruise Critic with an article about the EU Guideline for Cruises. The first topic is distressing and impacts HAL.

It's going to be interesting to see if any of these situations end up on the table with the CDC.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5434/?et_cid=3343001&et_rid=271420012&et_referrer=nav_site_login_us

This has been out for a few days, I am surprised there has not been more discussions so far.  Several non-starters for us, #1 being cruise length limited to 3-7 days.

Inconsequential.  First, these are suggested guidelines for sailing during the pandemic.  The real question is where the cruise lines even want to sail during this period, for two reasons:  One, these guidelines would drastically cut down on their revenue because the number of passengers would have to be diminished.  Additionally, the number of people wanting to take a cruise under these guidelines will be diminished.  And, two, there is still the problem of what ports are going to be available for either excursions or disembarking.  From my standpoint, this is a non-starter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

This has been out for a few days, I am surprised there has not been more discussions so far.  Several non-starters for us, #1 being cruise length limited to 3-7 days.

I actually received it last night and waited to see if it showed up on any threads before I posted it. Yes, it is curious that no one is commenting.

I agree with you about the cruise length. I will do a 7 night last minute cruise in the Caribbean if I happen to be in Florida, not ready to go home and I get a deal. I'm not planning a 3-7 night cruise.

My other concern is the talk about HAL's pools with the retractable roofs. Why is that anymore of a problem than a lounge or theater?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, seaoma said:

I actually received it last night and waited to see if it showed up on any threads before I posted it. Yes, it is curious that no one is commenting.

I agree with you about the cruise length. I will do a 7 night last minute cruise in the Caribbean if I happen to be in Florida, not ready to go home and I get a deal. I'm not planning a 3-7 night cruise.

My other concern is the talk about HAL's pools with the retractable roofs. Why is that anymore of a problem than a lounge or theater?

I would have thought HAL retractable roof would qualify as an outdoor environment but what do I know.  

Remember this is EU recommendations so they won’t apply to the Carribean.  Who is going to fly to Europe to do a 3-7 day cruise?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Probably because few of us would be interested in a cruise like this.

I’m definitely NOT flying to Europe for a 3 - 7 day cruise.  Not worth the aggravation or the cost IMO 😉

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Inconsequential.  First, these are suggested guidelines for sailing during the pandemic.  The real question is where the cruise lines even want to sail during this period, for two reasons:  One, these guidelines would drastically cut down on their revenue because the number of passengers would have to be diminished.  Additionally, the number of people wanting to take a cruise under these guidelines will be diminished.  And, two, there is still the problem of what ports are going to be available for either excursions or disembarking.  From my standpoint, this is a non-starter.

I agree it’s a non starter but not that it’s inconsequential.  This is their idea of how cruising should restart.  If accepted these protocols would be in place for weeks, months, years?  We don’t know but it would certainly be the foreseeable future.  Very rarely do regulations, even if only suggested ones, roll backwards.

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m definitely NOT flying to Europe for a 3 - 7 day cruise.  Not worth the aggravation or the cost IMO 😉

Agreed, heck we won’t go to Europe for less then a month.  I hated the hassle of flying before CV, now I don’t even want to think about flying.  

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

I agree, unless you already live in Europe. There could be Europeans who would accept these conditions if they want to cruise bad enough.

Just wondering if some of these guidelines will be incorporated into cruising in general going forward, no matter what the length and where in the world, once the CDC and CLIA start negotiating on the future of cruising.

Do people just see the cruise industry floating around the world, empty of passengers, till who knows when?

Do any of these conditions make cruising safer, in your opinion?

Edited by seaoma

22 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Agreed, heck we won’t go to Europe for less then a month.  I hated the hassle of flying before CV, now I don’t even want to think about flying.  

Ditto.  

28 minutes ago, seaoma said:

Honestly, it makes no difference to me if it safer or not because.... If the cruises are 3 - 7 days and visiting fewer ports for a shorter period of time, we’re not interested.  

The only way it will be truly safer is if the the virus dissipates (but we need everyone to wear a mask for any hope of that) or if there is a vaccine which is reliable.

• Like 1

I think a bit of clarity is required.  

The E.U. has NOT released guidelines for cruising to restart.

The Healthy Gateways are not the EU.  Health Gateways is an EU funded organisation focused on planning an adequate response to serious cross border threats to health for member states and were established before the current pandemic.

https://www.healthygateways.eu/About-Us/Objective-and-Work-Packages

CC's editorial comment that the document could be adopted in full or part by other Government organisations around the world is highly misleading in that it the document has not even been adopted by the EU or its member states.  It is just a recommendation and a discussion document.

https://www.healthygateways.eu/

https://www.researchgate.net/project/EU-Healthy-Gateways-Joint-Action

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, kazu said:

Honestly, it makes no difference to me if it safer or not because.... If the cruises are 3 - 7 days and visiting fewer ports for a shorter period of time, we’re not interested.  

The only way it will be truly safer is if the the virus dissipates (but we need everyone to wear a mask for any hope of that) or if there is a vaccine which is reliable.

I agree about the shorter cruises with fewer ports. I would not be against a longer cruise with fewer ports.

I just don't know if I'd like to cruise with the situations discussed in this article. 

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I think a bit of clarity is required.  

The E.U. has NOT released guidelines for cruising to restart.

The Healthy Gateways are not the EU.  Health Gateways is an EU funded organisation focused on planning an adequate response to serious cross border threats to health for member states and were established before the current pandemic.

https://www.healthygateways.eu/About-Us/Objective-and-Work-Packages

CC's editorial comment that the document could be adopted in full or part by other Government organisations around the world is highly misleading in that it the document has not even been adopted by the EU or its member states.  It is just a recommendation and a discussion document.

https://www.healthygateways.eu/

https://www.researchgate.net/project/EU-Healthy-Gateways-Joint-Action

Thanks for the clarification.

I suspect these "recommendations" are the result of discussions occurring between the cruise lines and the various health organizations (including the CDC) and is intended as the first draft to be modified as talks continue - at least I hope all of these groups are not just working in their own vacuums.

From what I read, I see a lot of these as being a nightmare to implement.  Cruises limited to 3-7 days carry the issue of all the longer cruises already scheduled, booked and with some or all of the fares paid - will these all be cancelled and new itineraries created?  I am currently booked on a 14-day cruise in January (a 10 and 4 day B2B).  Will the 10 day portion get split into 2 cruises with a return to port added? 

As far as setting aside cabins for sick passengers, it might make more sense to set aside a deck as a hospital deck that is off limits to any other passengers - that might provide more separation if there is an outbreak. 

As far as the other ideas listed, how and who will enforce them?  Every cruise I take now sends me and everyone else a boarding time window - probably the most ignored concept on a cruise.  Current cruises do not allow saving deck chairs, kids16 and under in hot tubs - never seen it enforced. They suggest limiting where individuals can be on the ship at a specific time and with whom can they interact - how will they know who can be where?  Putting on your mask when you enter an elevator, hallway or other designated part of the ship can be hard to enforce when many people won't do that in stores today.  I don't believe crews as comprised today would be able to enforce these practices if a passenger takes the attitude of it doesn't apply to me - I paid good money for this cruise.

I know putting a plan together that can improve safety has got to be an almost impossible task - and I wish all involved good luck in coming up with one.  I hope they include some method of ensuring the ill and healthy can be disembarked after a cruise and sent to hospitals or allowed to continue home if they are not infected.

• Like 4

Do not really care.   We will not cruise until (or if) a safe and effective vaccine is available to us.   Nor do we have any intention of cruising with masks and practicing social distancing.   

If we cannot enjoy cruising in a safe environment without these then we see little reason to waste our travel dollars on cruising.  There are other options.

Nor do we have any intention of sailing on the next MS Covid.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

The section about indoorpools is not in line with the policy in most European countries. In Germany and the Netherlands for instance, hotel indoor pools and spas have reopened. So why forbid them on a ship ? Healthygateways.eu is by no means an official organization that sets guidelines. The EU would have to do that. But as the crisis has shown us, individual countries have a different set of rules. Even the advice the EU has given about barring people from 15 countries, US including, doesn’t go far enough for Belgium for instance.

So all in all, interesting piece of reading but by no means something to get upset about.

• Thanks 1

These guidelines sound very well thought out, very legitimate from a safety point of view.  Certainly the way to go, but who would want to SAIL under even some of these guidelines?  And PAY money for this "experience"?  

Incorporating some of these guidelines should be considered by HAL, for sure, but they won't contribute to the enjoyment level of cruising.   The lines are going to have a rough time of it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

The section about indoorpools is not in line with the policy in most European countries. In Germany and the Netherlands for instance, hotel indoor pools and spas have reopened. So why forbid them on a ship ? Healthygateways.eu is by no means an official organization that sets guidelines. The EU would have to do that. But as the crisis has shown us, individual countries have a different set of rules. Even the advice the EU has given about barring people from 15 countries, US including, doesn’t go far enough for Belgium for instance.

So all in all, interesting piece of reading but by no means something to get upset about.

Thank you, interesting information. 

I think my DW would totally freak out if there were pools, but they could not be used.

22 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

None of that sounds "inconsequential"......................    But I agree with your thoughts.

22 hours ago, seaoma said:

Just wondering if some of these guidelines will be incorporated into cruising in general going forward, no matter what the length and where in the world, once the CDC and CLIA start negotiating on the future of cruising.

Unfortunately yes.

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Unfortunately yes.

23 hours ago, seaoma said:

I agree, unless you already live in Europe. There could be Europeans who would accept these conditions if they want to cruise bad enough.

Do people just see the cruise industry floating around the world, empty of passengers, till who knows when?

Absolutely,  these guidelines will make cruising safer than when cruise lines closed down.  They have to have an intermediate plan between now, with the "no-sail" order, and when this whole mess is as back to normal as possible.  That could be years.  Without some serious changes cruise lines will not be able to sail to a degree that would be worth it. It will be "different" on the ships, so we'll get used to it or we won't be able to cruise.

Edited by SilvertoGold

The German Cruise Line Tui Cruises will statt cruises by end of July with max 60% of guests on board and 3-7 days - ONLY sea days.
In their email they say the Perfect time to get to know the ship and to slow down...
All cruises start and end up in Hamburg.
They really want to try to start.
I don’t know how many people will go on a cruise like this...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums