will you be booking a new cruise yet.

dalliowner

The mask thing: it's not something we are used to, masks can get uncomfortable and damp after a few hours, they feel strange, one can't see if people you are talking to are smiling, they can't see if you are smiling, sometimes it is hard to recognise people, one's glasses steam up (does the same happen if you wear contact lenses?).

However they do limit the emmision and seeding of viral aerosol and they can help to decrease the chance of inhaling any virus that is in the air. Wearing one now makes me feel safer, and seeing other people wearing them also makes me feel safer. Seeing people who are not wearing face coverings and are not socialy distancing makes me feel nervous and paranoid and gets my hypochondria going.

I think, in time, we will get used to wearing masks; perhaps mask design and material will improve so they are more comfortable. A tranparent - see-through- mask would be a best seller, no doubt. I never thought I would get used to wearing glasses, despite the benefits of seeing a whole lot more, and I never thought I would get used to wearing a partial denture,  but one does.

Would I sail on SB if I had to wear a mask outside of my suite and dining areas ? Right now probably not, but in time, if we all wear masks until it becomes second nature, then probably yes. I really want to go on another cruise, and if everything else was pretty much as good as it always had been on board SB ships, I think I could put up with mask wearing.

What will people look like after they have been sunbathing in a mask? Will the half-face tan become a lifestyle statement?

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rols said:

but let me ask, if the new cruising required you to don a mask as you left your suite in the morning and wear it around the ship whenever you are in a public space, sunbathing by the pool, at trivia, lectures, on any and all excursions, only removing it when you were sat down eating .. would you still cruise? I wouldn't. 

At this point of our experience with the pandemic, no, I won't be making any cruising plans.  Having to wear a mask so frequently would be a #1 or #1A reason.  

As another poster mentioned after your post, perhaps, in time, if the mask wearing requirement becomes a "habit" and we have become acclimated to it, my mind might change.  

As has been mentioned, one cannot see the facial expressions of others with whom we converse nor can they see ours.  When one does not well know such a fellow guest, is that going to inhibit casual conversations?  Or are conversations and interactions with the crew who serve us?  

If this mask wearing requirement drags on, again as has been mentioned, perhaps some new and more comfortable designs and materials for mask making will begin to appear.  There is one type of mask that I feel would best suit me.  I have seen photos of people wearing it.  I cannot find such a product.  Medical supply firms make them, but sales are still being restricted to medical personnel only.  

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If this mask wearing requirement drags on, again as has been mentioned, perhaps some new and more comfortable designs and materials for mask making will begin to appear.  There is one type of mask that I feel would best suit me.  I have seen photos of people wearing it.  I cannot find such a product.  Medical supply firms make them, but sales are still being restricted to medical personnel only.  

And don't forget googles.  Our doctor friends says eye protection is just as important as wearing a mask as the virus can enter through the eyes.  Eye glasses do not cover entry from the sides.  

1 minute ago, SLSD said:

And don't forget googles.  Our doctor friends says eye protection is just as important as wearing a mask as the virus can enter through the eyes.  Eye glasses do not cover entry from the sides.  

I have yet to see a single person wearing goggles.   Although your post refers to “googles.”

56 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

I have yet to see a single person wearing goggles.   Although your post refers to “googles.”

Ha!  Sloppy typing rears it head again!  I know the doctors are wearing goggles when they see patients that may or may not have the virus.  My point is that infection can enter through the eyes as well.  Not a happy thought for cruising.  

Edited by SLSD

Something else to consider is getting to the cruise.  I cannot see sleeping on an overnight flight to Europe or Asia with a mask on.  I don’t even like the eye masks in the business and first amenity kits and cannot see wearing a mask over my mouth and nose on a 9-14 hour flight.  YIKES!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisr said:

Something else to consider is getting to the cruise.  I cannot see sleeping on an overnight flight to Europe or Asia with a mask on.  I don’t even like the eye masks in the business and first amenity kits and cannot see wearing a mask over my mouth and nose on a 9-14 hour flight.  YIKES!

Absolutely agree!  I don't use those masks, either.  Not being used to wearing a mask while I am trying to get to sleep would probably keep me awake!  

• Like 1

I was really sad to read this article just now---one of the first ships to resume cruising has had four people hospitalized:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/covid-outbreak-hurtigruten-norway/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=7F053108-D37D-11EA-9028-EEEA39982C1E&utm_term=Editorial&utm_campaign=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0yoSqapEPRLrvL8eT93FURzePIn-XGKpD7uNL7IaooBAMBQNPRDMHlPaQ

from the article:

The company also has contacted another 209 passengers who were aboard the previous sailing of the Roald Amundsen, and they also will self-quarantine.

The next voyage of the vessel, which had been scheduled to begin Friday, has been canceled.

I am concerned that this will be a huge setback for cruising beginning again. 

Edited by SLSD

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

I was really sad to read this article just now---one of the first ships to resume cruising has had four people hospitalized:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/covid-outbreak-hurtigruten-norway/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=7F053108-D37D-11EA-9028-EEEA39982C1E&utm_term=Editorial&utm_campaign=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0yoSqapEPRLrvL8eT93FURzePIn-XGKpD7uNL7IaooBAMBQNPRDMHlPaQ

from the article:

The company also has contacted another 209 passengers who were aboard the previous sailing of the Roald Amundsen, and they also will self-quarantine.

The next voyage of the vessel, which had been scheduled to begin Friday, has been canceled.

I am concerned that this will be a huge setback for cruising beginning again. 

Agreed. Sorry, I didn’t see this. Just reposted this article on the EU thread

Thirty-three crew members of a Hurtigruten cruise in Norway have been diagnosed with Covid-19, with four hospitalised and the rest in isolation. 

The staff, of which there were 160 in total, were tested at the end of a seven-day sailing around the Arctic archipelago of Svalbard yesterday, with 177 passengers on board; none of whom reported any symptoms of the virus while onboard and all of whom had disembarked by the time the news broke.

In what is unfolding as a major test for an industry that is only just getting back on its feet, all guests have been ordered to quarantine and will undergo testing. The Norwegian cruise line has already announced that one passenger has tested positive for coronavirus.

“There was no reason to suspect Covid-19 when the ship docked in Tromso based on the symptoms the four of the crew had,” said Hurtigruten communications manager Rune Thomas Ege. “Fortunately, we received a quick response to the tests, so that both we and the Tromso municipality were able to implement measures.”

The vessel, MS Roald Amundsen, which is the world’s first hybrid-powered ship, remains in Tromso and its next voyage, due to embark yesterday, was cancelled. Earlier this month, Hurtigruten became the first line to announce cruises around Britain, planned for September, since the pandemic forced the industry to pause all operations in March.

The FCO currently advises against all ocean cruises.

3 hours ago, robertmartha said:

This is not good news....thoughts and prayers to the crew and all the passengers

With this news and Crystal cancelling now thru end of 2020....thinking Seabourn will not be far behind with cancellations. 

Very sad news indeed.  I hope everyone recovers their health quickly.  

On 7/30/2020 at 8:54 AM, TRIPACIAN said:

Covid has reduced us to giggles about SLSD writing googles instead of goggles.  It boggles the mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

It boogles my mind.

You guys are so funny.  I am a notoriously bad typist. And sometimes I suspect spell check is working against me--but cannot prove it!

In a more serious vein, now there is a need to trace passengers of this cruise line.  I am so sad.  Mr. SLSD and I were having a whale of a good time cruising on Seabourn.   We want to resume, but we will be cautious.  We'll wait for the rest of you to test the waters  and we will wait for a vaccine.  

Here's the latest article I've read on the current situation.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-norway-cruiseship-idUSKBN24Y0LO?taid=5f26f707cb760200014ba02f&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter&fbclid=IwAR3echcjKB_oSVmJDWmwl_c14cZKVAG4yjUw1muTHEGMCcJDZPw5olukkiU

• Like 2

The luxury ship Paul Gauguin is reporting a passenger has tested positive for COVID in French Polynesia.
https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/covid-19-case-paul-gauguin-french-polynesia

It happened despite rigorous pre-boarding and onboard protocols.
https://www.pgcruises.com/travel-advisory

I suspect these early false starts will set back the entire cruise industry.

38 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

The luxury ship Paul Gauguin is reporting a passenger has tested positive for COVID in French Polynesia.
https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/covid-19-case-paul-gauguin-french-polynesia

It happened despite rigorous pre-boarding and onboard protocols.
https://www.pgcruises.com/travel-advisory

I suspect these early false starts will set back the entire cruise industry.

I can't tell you how sad I am about these setbacks.  I know the cruise lines and passengers are anxious to get back to normal, but it just isn't going to happen anytime soon--and these setbacks are going to prolong the time we have to wait, I am afraid. 

• Like 2

I know the lines need to try to restart - but just seems crazy that lines are posting about the upcoming sail dates while lines that just started sailing are already reporting cases on board with crew and passengers and cancelling upcoming sailings.

I think this is going to do more harm then good to the industry trying to restart to soon - will be all over the media again about sailings with sick passengers and crews floating around.

• Like 1

There will be no cruising for a very long time.  The publicity from the two cruises with covid just sets everything back.  How do you all think the CDC is going to react to this and their No Sail order.  Its not going to be pretty.

Edited by cruisr