Surprise! Royal Caribbean Cruises just changed its name, without telling anyone

Oxo

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I was referring to the new colors-and it was basically just a bit of humor

m

Yeah, 30+ years ago Anchor and lighting was Neon... Funniest thing was my second Royal Cruise 3 decades ago. On first day decided wear a Royal T-shirt bought on my first Cruise. At least 40 people stopped me asking questions, thought I was member of the Crew. Of course was young, early 20's and had my Military haircut. Back then very few repeat Cruisers, 75% were 55+. Now, only do longer Repo's and know half the passengers from year before, and I'm still one the youngest

11 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes and no. While the marketing guys came up with this new naming scheme, as of yesterday, at the SEC, where official names count, they are still referred to as RCCL.

Royal Caribbean Group refers to RCCL and all subsidiaries. I doubt they will change the legal name of RCCL proper.

21 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

The name of the cruise line Royal Caribbean International is unchanged, just the holding has been renamed from Royal Caribbean Cruise Line to Royal Caribbean Group. C&A and logo gear refers to RCI, all unchanged.

Oh boy, my finger muscle memory for RCCL is going to be all screwed up for a while.  RCG, RCG, RCG (I'm practicing.................).

21 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

The name of the cruise line Royal Caribbean International is unchanged, just the holding has been renamed from Royal Caribbean Cruise Line to Royal Caribbean Group. C&A and logo gear refers to RCI, all unchanged.

The first sentence doesn't sound right.

First, RCCL stands for "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.," which is the legal name of the parent company. RCI is a subsidiary of RCCL.

Second, the holding company is not renamed. It's still RCCL. Royal Caribbean Group is just an umbrella term for RCCL and its subsidiaries collectively. They are referring to all of the companies as one "Royal Caribbean Group." Maybe someday RCCL itself will change its name, but not yet and maybe never. AFAIK

9 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Maybe they want to make some news about themselves right now that doesn't have to do with Covid.

That would be great! Too many postings about the  C19. Many opinions, too.

15 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Maybe they expect to bring in some other cruise line into the group in the future. NCL for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Would not want to see that. Two different experiences. We do both of them and they provide a different vacation such as ships, food, entertainment, etc. Both excellent experiences. 

Would not want to see that. Two different experiences. We do both of them and they provide a different vacation such as ships, food, entertainment, etc. Both excellent experiences. 

The group already has different experiences. Azamara, Celebrity and Silversea have different experiences than Royal Caribbean. Any acquisition could maintain its previous experience and that is what I expect would happen although as far as I am concerned from my NCL cruises it wouldn’t bother me if the NCL experience disappeared. Been on all the cruise lines and thought they were the worst.

57 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Maybe they expect to bring in some other cruise line into the group in the future. NCL for example.

I also think it is in anticipation of some future changes as the industry reinvents itself, and a way to preserve the brand's value.

21 hours ago, Ashland said:

Yep...knew that and why I've always referred to it online as RCI....some poster's have used RCCL...I knew that wasn't right....but no reason to correct them.

I always used RCCL because RCI was the initials for my timeshare exchange company.  

44 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The group already has different experiences. Azamara, Celebrity and Silversea have different experiences than Royal Caribbean. Any acquisition could maintain its previous experience and that is what I expect would happen although as far as I am concerned from my NCL cruises it wouldn’t bother me if the NCL experience disappeared. Been on all the cruise lines and thought they were the worst.

Like you I have been on cruise lines: CELEBRITY, COSTA, HAL, MSC, NCL, PRINCESS and RCI.

I have no favorite and in the past two years cruised all but Costa and HAL.

The great thing about CRUISING is there is choice. Your expectations and experience may be different than mine.

I like NCL and think they have the best Specialty Restaurants. I like their ships and also RCIs, too.

I have seen cruise lines being bought by other cruise lines. They never stay as they were. They change and not always for the best .

Examples,  Celebrity under RCI.

PRINCESS, Costa and HAL under Carnival.

I have seen and experienced the changes on these. They are not the same.

I have seen and been involved in DOD/military commands consolidate, companies bought up and never retain their own policies,procedures, etc.. I have been involved in major mergers and outsourcing. 

Not bragging. Been there, done that and big changes.  

T-Mobile and Sprint .

I think I said enough. 

How many Celebrity passengers think X is still the ole X? Not me.

Stay Safe! 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

We aren't fans of NCL, but its been almost 10 years

Just now, CSHS1979 said:

We aren't fans of NCL, but its been almost 10 years

We did not go on NCL for many years, too. However,  we tried NCL Escape and had a fantastic time. We were on the Encore in Feb 2020 and really enjoyed that. So,  things change. Never say never. Some people never try anything new or different. We do.

Stay Safe!

Everything has changed and there are going to be more changes going forward. There could be a shake out and contraction where not all the cruise line survive. I would prefer that Royal survive over NCL. It could be the other way around. I would prefer that all the cruise lines survive and none be taken over or absorbed but the cruise industry is in a bad place right now.

32 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Everything has changed and there are going to be more changes going forward. There could be a shake out and contraction where not all the cruise line survive. I would prefer that Royal survive over NCL. It could be the other way around. I would prefer that all the cruise lines survive and none be taken over or absorbed but the cruise industry is in a bad place right now.

Totally agree with your current posting. Don't want to see any Cruise Line go under. Have seen Sitmar and Royal years ago go under. Just like airlines, retail stores, etc. There is a place for RCI and NCL.

Again,  please Stay Safe!

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Well, if that does happen I hope the first thing RCG does is repaint the hulls.

Perhaps the cruise line industry is about to go through a consolidation phase, same as the airlines did a few years back.  With this Covid-19 shutdown and for the strongest to survive,  anything is possible.

11 minutes ago, SRF said:

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (or Limited) sounds like a cruise line.

Royal Caribbean International sounds like a holding group.

The marketeers have obviously failed at messaging since it's the opposite of that.

• Like 1