Cruise Critic Community
Ken the cruiser

Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

We sure hope so. We are in our late 60s, and had the measles and mumps when we were little, but we just got a MMR vaccine at our local pharmacy because everything we read was really positive towards reducing the affects of COVID if we get it, which so far we've been able to avoid. But we figure it's going to take a readily available vaccine before cruising will start up again.

So far we've heard positive things about AstraZenica and now Pfizer, who are both hoping to start distributing a vaccine in the October time frame if all goes well in their stage 3 testing starting later this month and, of course for US folks, CDC subsequently gives them the go ahead. Here's hoping to their success as we really miss going on cruises!!!

Way too soon to tell. I suspect there will be a vaccine, but how long it will be effective is anyone's guess.

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We sure hope so. We are in our late 60s, and had the measles and mumps when we were little, but we just got a MMR vaccine at our local pharmacy because everything we read was really positive towards reducing the affects of COVID if we get it, which so far we've been able to avoid. But we figure it's going to take a readily available vaccine before cruising will start up again.

So far we've heard positive things about AstraZenica and now Pfizer, who are both hoping to start distributing a vaccine in the October time frame if all goes well in their stage 3 testing starting later this month and, of course for US folks, CDC subsequently gives them the go ahead. Here's hoping to their success as we really miss going on cruises!!!

Also, if one is found just the logistics of vaccinating millions and millions of people is going to be an unimaginable task and take a lot of time.

1 minute ago, PrincessLuver said:

Also, if one is found just the logistics of vaccinating millions and millions of people is going to be an unimaginable task and take a lot of time.

We're good with that and will definitely be in the queue when we find our local pharmacy or clinic has access to one!!

Many news outlets are reporting a shortage of specific glass used to make vials for the vaccine delivery.  You can Google for more info, multiple outlets have reported it.  Making the vaccine is one thing, getting it to the masses is another.  

12 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Many news outlets are reporting a shortage of specific glass used to make vials for the vaccine delivery.  You can Google for more info, multiple outlets have reported it.  Making the vaccine is one thing, getting it to the masses is another.  

Hopefully they'll be able to resolve that as well as many of the other logistical issues they'll face disseminating the vaccine around the world.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

one point. CDC has nothing to do with the vaccine development process and approvals. That falls under the FDA.

5 minutes ago, npcl said:

one point. CDC has nothing to do with the vaccine development process and approvals. That falls under the FDA.

My bad. You are correct! The FDA is the US agency responsible for approving a vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

It will be a while until a potential vaccine is ready to distribute. There is plenty of time to rectify any vial production problems.

No it is the train coming into the tunnel...................Lol   Sorry couldn't help it....

Vaccines........ really it is wait and see... if they do the trails properly a couple of years....

Is it going to be 100% effective ?  How long to get large section of the population inoculated ? 

As with some major outbreaks in the past... the only way was it to live with it and adapt......

I am sorry  unless one opens the gates then contains any out breaks... hopefully without getting over run..... life as of the moment will be the Norm.... or go to the bunker and wait...

Oh and by the way  The Train has been Cancelled.

Cheers Don 

I remember being rounded up at school to eat sugar cubes with the Salk vaccine on them. I think we did it twice. It worked and saved a bazillion folks. Too bad we will have a bunch of folks who won't take a vaccine for this stuff even when there is one available.

45 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

No it is the train coming into the tunnel...................Lol   Sorry couldn't help it....

Vaccines........ really it is wait and see... if they do the trails properly a couple of years....

Is it going to be 100% effective ?  How long to get large section of the population inoculated ? 

As with some major outbreaks in the past... the only way was it to live with it and adapt......

I am sorry  unless one opens the gates then contains any out breaks... hopefully without getting over run..... life as of the moment will be the Norm.... or go to the bunker and wait...

Oh and by the way  The Train has been Cancelled.

Cheers Don 

My guess, which is pretty much useless, is once a COVID vaccine is available, we'll have the opportunity of taking it, or one designed to address possible mutations, every year rather than once and done, maybe even combined with an annual flu shot if the vaccines are combinable.

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Hopefully they'll be able to resolve that as well as many of the other logistical issues they'll face disseminating the vaccine around the world.

They don't have to cover the whole world straight away. I think China could wait a while.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I remember being rounded up at school to eat sugar cubes with the Salk vaccine on them. I think we did it twice. It worked and saved a bazillion folks. Too bad we will have a bunch of folks who won't take a vaccine for this stuff even when there is one available.

That was the Sabin oral vaccine.  Salk vaccine was a shot.  Had both.  EM

26 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Ahhh... Thanks. Old folks. Smallpox vaccine scar on the shoulder. You don't see that anymore. The vaccine eliminated smallpox. Sad that people forget about things like polio and smallpox and go on anti-vaccine crusades.

There is no way any vaccine on the market by the end of this year will have been proven to be safe for everyone.

For example, to be sure that it is safe for a woman of childbearing age it would have to be given pre-pregnancy and the mother and child will have to have no ill effects at least nine months later.

And it impossible to learn in this year's time frame if it causes organ damage that does not show up until months or even years later.

This is why earlier vaccines for other diseases have taken years to test before they are released to the general public.

With over 100 vaccines under development, it will be difficult to know which are the most effective and safest.

The FDA has been shown to be inept numerous times this year when giving conditional approval to medical equipment that failed to meet minimum specifications and Covid-19 treatments which caused bodily harm without curing the patients of the disease. Be very careful once the FDA says they have approved a vaccine for Covid-19.

55 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I had both too.  At that age I had no idea what or why.  I just remember my brother and I waiting in lines with Mom.   I didn't like the shot.  Still don't like them.   

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

While taking a walk with my DW yesterday, she asked the same question. did I remember that. (Though she did say Sabin.)

I also had both, though I think DW may have been too young for the Salk vaccine.

Here are some of my musings regarding the vaccine and Covid-19.

A recent AP poll revealed that only about half of the US population would bother to get the Covid-19 vaccine.  That's about the same number who bother to get an annual flu shot.  The Covid-19 is here to stay, as is the remnents of the Russian Flu from 1898 and the Spanish Flu.  Both are still circulating, but mutated into the range of common cold viruses.

Once a vaccine is widely available, what is the next step?  Can we take off our masks since there will be no need to wear them to protect others - the others being those who refuse the vaccine?

Right now, in the US, the death rate from Covid-19 per 100,000 population is about 4.4 percent.  The death rate from the regular flu is around 2.9 percent.

The media's focus on cases right now is background noise because that's what they do.  It gives them a chance to use "skyrocketing". n Remember when it was all about flattening the curve, then it was all about ventilators, then it was all about PPE, then it was all about testing, and now it's all about cases.  The numbers to watch are the positivity rate of the tests, and the overall death rate.  You don't hear much about the death rate since that curve has been flattened and is remaining pretty steady.  No news to sensationalize there.

Just wondering about the future of cruising and life in general.

In my case, I don't think I would cruise again unless there was a vaccine. 

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I agree.  Just the realization that there is a viable vaccine will be more than a shot in the arm (sorry for the analogy) for cruising and the travel industry.

We are still booked on a November 21 Enchanted Princess voyage and even if the vaccine isn't in full production there is the hope that sailing will start then.

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

Ahhh... Thanks. Old folks. Smallpox vaccine scar on the shoulder.

In my day ... boys got the shoulder scar, while girls got the injection in an out of the way place.

For my entire life, my beauty has been marred by this sexism!  🙂

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, caribill said:

There is no way any vaccine on the market by the end of this year will have been proven to be safe for everyone.

I'm sure you are correct and for those individuals that are concerned about that, they will probably wait until all of the unique long range variables can be addressed. Just like my BIL's doctor told him to wait a year when the "new and improved" shingles shot came out a couple of years ago to ensure sure there weren't any unforeseen side effects. Of course he could have gotten shingles during that period, but that was his choice.

But as far as a potential COVID vaccine being made available within the next 3-6 months, it will be interesting to see if the cruise lines and/or distant ports of call will require proof of taking the vaccine before boarding the ship or disembarking at those ports. It wasn't so long ago, last year I believe, when the measles was rearing its ugly head on some of the Pacific islands. If I remember correctly if you were younger than a certain age, you needed to have proof you had received a MMR shot at some point during your life before you were allowed to disembark. It doesn't seem so far fetched the cruise lines might require some similar proof. But, I guess time will tell.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Posted (edited)

Just my humble opinion:

A vaccine will not be the solution to restart cruising, but it will be a solution (or at least a contributor) to remove some of the protocols currently in place (face masks, separation, etc). 

Cruising is already resuming without a vaccine in several markets in other parts of the world with protocols and guidelines in place. We may even see cruises restart in the USA on July 25th by one cruise line. Not holding my breath for it, but eagerly waiting to see if they'll pull it off. 

Edited by Tapi

IMHO the issue is more about forced vaccinations and other onerous & hysteria-driven conditions of boarding, passage (expensive PCR tests, masks). And the bigger question in our household is "are we willing to throw away our status on Princess to sail on another line that has less onerous, hysteria-driven intrusive rules as a condition of carriage"? At this point we are leaning to a YES.

We are Princess Platinum cruisers bordering on Elite. We are absolutely willing to abandon loyalty to Princess and never sail Princess again if, in our opinion we believe the conditions of carriage are driven by intrusive government control and hysteria that destroys our ability to enjoy our vacation.