Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

37 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

There is an exemption to this CDC ruling, you are still obligated to follow the rules of the destination you are traveling too. My Sister and BIL are flying to Hawaii next weekend and were told today that Hawaii still requires a proof of negative PCR test within 72 hours of landing even if you are fully vaccinated as they both are. No test and you face being sent back to the mainland or in house quarantine in Hawaii at your expense.  They are only there for one week so quarantine will not be their option. They are both getting tested on Thursday for their Saturday Flight.

Yes.  I had just posted the quote from the CDC web site concerning the need for following other protective measures even while traveling in the US.

They need to make sure that they are getting tested by one of the sources approved by Hawaii (listed on a web site).  They are strict about that. For example there is a CVS site you can arrange to get tested through, but walkups to CVS are not accepted.

It appears that Hawaii is looking at accepting vaccinations instead of testing but have not made a decision yet.  Will probably implement for inter island travel first. Hopefully we might see that change in the next few weeks.

Edited by nocl

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

hcat here is an update.  The US HHS has put J&J in control of the Emergent BioSolutions plant in Baltimore and they will assume full responsibility for their own vaccine production.  It was also announced that the AZ vaccine would no longer be made there.  I find it unusual for HHS to do this rather than FDA.  But good news anyway.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/04/us-puts-jj-in-charge-of-plant-that-botched-covid-vaccine-removes-astrazeneca.html

Link did not open for me..will try again later.  I expect it will answer my question below:

But does this mean the Company  that markets this is in charge of the contractor making it with no govt  oversight at the plany? 

What is the  inspection protocol? 

While I much  appreciate the  credentials and hard work of  admin agency employees, I  have not been wowed by either FDA or CDC performance overall  from inception of this crisis...Admin agencies should  have MORE scrutiny....they seem very much on their own .

Just my opinion!

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

Link did not open for me..will try again later.  I expect it will answer my question below:

But does this mean the Company  that markets this is in charge of the contractor making it with no govt  oversight at the plany? 

What is the  inspection protocol? 

While I much  appreciate the  credentials and hard work of  admin agency employees, I  have not been wowed by either FDA or CDC performance overall  from inception of this crisis...Admin agencies should  have MORE scrutiny....they seem very much on their own .

Just my opinion!

These should make for a good start.  The last one is a one of the links from the second one (chapter 45)

https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/search-fda-guidance-documents/guidance-industry-q7a-good-manufacturing-practice-guidance-active-pharmaceutical-ingredients

Guidance for Industry, Q7A Good Manufacturing Practice Guidance for Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients

https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/compliance-manuals/compliance-program-guidance-manual-cpgm

Compliance Program Guidance Manual (CPGM)

https://www.fda.gov/media/73834/download

Inspection of Biological Drug Products (CBER)

31 minutes ago, nocl said:

They need to make sure that they are getting tested by one of the sources approved by Hawaii (listed on a web site).  They are strict about that. For example there is a CVS site you can arrange to get tested through, but walkups to CVS are not accepted.

They have appointments at a CVS which should be accepted. No telling if Hawaii will back off their travel requirements soon enough for them this weekend.

Just now, terrydtx said:

They have appointments at a CVS which should be accepted. No telling if Hawaii will back off their travel requirements soon enough for them this weekend.

I would say no way for this weekend or even this month.  If they make the change it will show up inter island first.

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I guess you have never been on a Celebrity cruise in the summer. I remember 600 kids on Celebrity Century in the Caribbean one July. Also many children on the Zenith and Summit cruises to Bermuda every July and August. 

600? That's 30% of Century's capacity. Wow!

49 minutes ago, markeb said:

Last reply before I hit ignore since it has nothing to do with this thread.

That's the date Congress passed PL 107-71, creating the Transportation Security Administration, and granting what ultimately became the Administrator of the TSA the authority to write federal regulations. Once adopted, those take on the rule of law for enforcement purposes. Like pretty much every other executive branch agency. Like the CBP rule that directly contradicts the PVSA and allows a foreign flagged non coastwise qualified vessel to transport passengers between two US ports by calling on a distant foreign port, which is also not in law. But people around here don't complain about that one.

If you want to change how things are done, I suggest a TARDIS or a Way Back Machine to September of 1787,

Couldn't have been said any more clearly. Federal Agency regulations, if allowed by the law that established them, are Federal Law until challenged and over turned by a Federal court or rescinded by that agency. 

3 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

There tend to be more kids when school is out (summer) and the location of the itinerary like the Caribbean and Alaska. My last cruise in 2019 to Alaska on HAL Noordam had over 200 kids onboard including our grandson, HAL has an even an older demographic than Celebrity. We did one western Caribbean cruise on RCCL 20 years ago in July and the ship was over run with kids. Probably 30-40% of total passengers. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The cruise with 600 kids was pretty bad. The parents let them have the run of the ship. When there are that many they form kid gangs. Knock on doors and run. Run up and own the stairs. Take the room service menus passengers put on doors for breakfast. Heckled entertainer in the theater (singer) they did not like. Too many for the crew to do anything about.

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Last reply before I hit ignore since it has nothing to do with this thread.

That's the date Congress passed PL 107-71, creating the Transportation Security Administration, and granting what ultimately became the Administrator of the TSA the authority to write federal regulations. Once adopted, those take on the rule of law for enforcement purposes. Like pretty much every other executive branch agency. Like the CBP rule that directly contradicts the PVSA and allows a foreign flagged non coastwise qualified vessel to transport passengers between two US ports by calling on a distant foreign port, which is also not in law. But people around here don't complain about that one.

If you want to change how things are done, I suggest a TARDIS or a Way Back Machine to September of 1787,

The TSA is a fixed point in time.  A TARDIS won't help you.  Duh.

LOL 

4 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

The travel industry as a whole needs to take baby steps...

Can't help pointing out the irony in the baby steps for cruising not including babies!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I love you Aussies, but must tell you about kids vs your Spingbreakers. So similar to our Caribbean. I did a b2b out of Sydney and 1st cruise was to Fiji Islands and 2nd was to NZ. I think I would have rather had the kids on the cruise vs the Spring break crowd 😉 The NZ was a completely different demographic and much more enjoyable. Learned our lesson and will never take any cruise anywhere during Spring Break. I mean Anywhere! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Got my first shot today at CVS, Moderna, second coming on May 3, something about being handed the COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card was very emotional!  I placed it in my passport for positive vibes.  I never thought I would say this, but with the success of the various vaccines, I will (I think) board a ship even if they do not require all passengers to have been vaccinated.  My next cruise is not until April 2022, I just want to resume my life, I am done with this already!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2021 at 12:29 AM, Miaminice said:

@HskrCrsr

I made the Alcatraz part of my statement - and still stand to it - after reading numerous posts from the user addressed. It was directed specifically towards this user. His reasoning is not only ridiculous and far away from any facts but he also insults people who decide to be vaccinated in his statements. His answers ooze selfishness and ignorance and lack of empathy in every word... I can only imagine what his everyday behavior is like. 

You do realize that Alcatraz is a National Park?  I would rather be sentenced to Yosemite, but Alcatraz is rather nice also. 🙂  Alcatraz on July 4th is rather nice also as you get to see the fireworks show in the bay.

Edited by NMTraveller

5 hours ago, ch175 said:

This is a law? Can you tell me the date Congress voted for it?

Executive order:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/breaking-president-biden-to-require-quarantine-for-international-travel-masks-on-planes/

Still makes it a federal law.  At least for the next 4 years.  By then, hopefully, we'll be well past the pandemic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ch175 said:

Congress voted to require a mask on airlines in November 2001? I guess by extension you could also be forced to wear a pink tutu?

The mask thing is a mandate. It’s like a dictator swooped in and decided everyone needs to do something, because, you know. Regardless of how one feels about masks, this should worry you. 

Yeah, all those dictatorial laws against speeding, running red lights, going 60 in school zones, and even laws against throttling someone who posts really dumb stuff.....you know laws to protect the community and silly stuff such as that. 

den

• Like 6

Now getting back to science, medicine and vaccines:😀

For those of you interested in Vitamin D and COVID here is a recent article from BBC News.  I have been taking daily vitamin D3 for the past year.  My levels were pretty low.  Now back in the normal range.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56180921

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 2

For those who are following the question of whether or not a fourth wave is happening - my hospital this week has closed mandatory pre-procedure Covid testing. We had been testing all admissions, plus anyone having outpatient surgery, colonoscopy, etc. people will still be screened by questionnaire and temp checks, but no swabs. Vaccines are offered to all admits.

My personal opinion is that what we are seeing in the upper Midwest is not a wave that will spread across the country, it is increased transmission in states that have been very restricted almost all year. In the South, we went through this months ago, where a big percentage of late teens and young adults were passing Covid around - I’d say up to 50% in some schools have had it already. I hope the variants that are running thru Michigan don’t prove to be significantly deadlier, because the virus is a little different than what we saw last fall.

Also Dr. Wallensky is very correct - there has been very, very little transmission at school, but get out on the ball field or band or cheer practice, or just simply that the parents let their teens do what teens do and it goes like wildfire. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Now getting back to science, medicine and vaccines:😀

For those of you interested in Vitamin D and COVID here is a recent article from BBC News.  I have been taking daily vitamin D3 for the past year.  My levels were pretty low.  Now back in the normal range.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56180921

Just curious how you knew your levels were low?  Did you take a test?  I have been doing Vitamin D before Covid.

15 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

For those who are following the question of whether or not a fourth wave is happening - my hospital this week has closed mandatory pre-procedure Covid testing. We had been testing all admissions, plus anyone having outpatient surgery, colonoscopy, etc. people will still be screened by questionnaire and temp checks, but no swabs. Vaccines are offered to all admits.

My personal opinion is that what we are seeing in the upper Midwest is not a wave that will spread across the country, it is increased transmission in states that have been very restricted almost all year. In the South, we went through this months ago, where a big percentage of late teens and young adults were passing Covid around - I’d say up to 50% in some schools have had it already. I hope the variants that are running thru Michigan don’t prove to be significantly deadlier, because the virus is a little different than what we saw last fall.

Also Dr. Wallensky is very correct - there has been very, very little transmission at school, but get out on the ball field or band or cheer practice, or just simply that the parents let their teens do what teens do and it goes like wildfire. 

Texas eliminated mask mandates and opened all businesses 100% 4 weeks ago and our state continues to trend down for positive tested cases. Here in San Antonio our running 7 day averages for positivity in 2% or less compared to January where it was over 10%. We also are approaching the 34% of all adults in our county have at least one vaccination and 21% fully vaccinated with both shots. Those vaccination numbers are increasing every day by about 12,000. Also our schools have been open most of this school year with no huge spread of the virus.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Just curious how you knew your levels were low?  Did you take a test?  I have been doing Vitamin D before Covid.

Yes when I had my annual physical and routine blood lab work I asked my physician to test my Vit D levels.  They were very low.  Just sitting in the sun more should help (like on a cruise!).  After daily supplement my level has tested in the normal range twice.