Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

3 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@4774Papa I wonder how many people staffing the places that are open are as disproportionately from 3rd World countries with low vax rates/availability as are those needed to crew cruise ships?

mayleeman,

Of course, cruise staff are typically from 3rd World countries.   Some of my neighbors young people work at our local grocery store.  I am sure those people not working will be happy to be back to work.  I expect the crew and staff to be vaccinated.  Not sure about staff as Walmart and Target.

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

And the fact that Disney World is something like 40sq miles in size, largely outdoors and not under CDC control.... Apples to ?????? something all together different. 

Not when it comes to eating at one of the MANY restaurants in their 4 parks, of which we dined at a few during our 5 day visit last week. When you were seated at the table you were allowed to take off your mask unless for some reason you had to leave the table, then you had to put it back on. The same I would imagine would apply when you dined onboard. As for the Disney servers, they always wore both a mask as well as a face shield to protect themselves from the unmasked diners. The same I would imagine would apply onboard. 

Also, when you’re indoors waiting in line 20-30+ minutes to get on a ride, that would very much be the same as when you might be queued up onboard waiting to get into some venue or possibly at customer service or the excursion desk. 

So, from my perspective there are a lot of similarities between Disney and a cruise ship. However, I will agree a mask outdoors shouldn’t be required if you are no where near any others; although that’s not true at Disney. You’re required to wear a mask while you’re outside anywhere on their property, like when you’re walking from your car to the park entrance which can be quite a distance sometimes if the parking lot is quite full. 

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There is a new one in Texas. Brazos Valley variant. 

Right on time, I suppose.

At least there's good news:  "A single case led to only mild symptoms. "

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, D C said:

I saw it on the O Board. I  thought they were hoping all of Texas died or turned blue because they removed their masks.

Edited by TrulyBlonde
  • Haha 1

If you haven't heard, an aircraft cleaner in New Zealand has tested positive even though he/she was wearing full PPE and has been vaccinated. Testing times ahead still.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/nz-cleaner-who-tested-positive-for-covid19-also-worked-on-planes-bound-for-australia/news-story/e62a35db44a42121065d02906248e48b

2 hours ago, D C said:

On the vaccine and virus front, is it just me or does it seem like we're overdue for yet another variant? It's been quite a while with the ones we have identified. 

new one identified  in Texas A&M student.

demonstrates some antibody resistance.  

14 hours ago, D C said:

On the vaccine and virus front, is it just me or does it seem like we're overdue for yet another variant? It's been quite a while with the ones we have identified. 

There are likely hundreds of variants at any given time.  Many unproductive or less infectious or less virulent.  The RNA viruses mutate constantly.  But I think you are speaking about a SPIKE gene variant that might be a different version that evades vaccines to at least some extent?

On 4/21/2021 at 8:00 PM, hcat said:

ASSOCIATED PRESS TODAY:

FDA Report on J and J facility

"The Baltimore factory contracted to make Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine was dirty, didn’t follow proper manufacturing procedures and had poorly trained staff, resulting in contamination of material that was going to be put in the shots, U.S. regulators said Wednesday."

After reading the article  summarizing the FDA report,  I am wondering if this might delay a release of  J and J  that was not destroyed or resumption of making it.?

I thought Dr Fauci said J and J might be back soon...wonder if this  is so,?

friend and her dtr were able to get Moderna appts in NY  for next week at a local pharmacy..they were very happy!.

The vaccine committee meets today.  It might lift the pause on this vaccine with some additional warnings and constraints.  But where are they actually going to produce it?  The Merck facility presumably will not be ready until September.

J&J said they are working on a network of 10 manufacturing facilities.  This would include Merck.  The Emergent BioSolutions might be offline for quite some time.  As of now, only their Leiden Netherlands plant is making vaccine bulk substance.

https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-statement-on-fda-observations-at-emergent-biosolutions

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/jj-says-supply-chain-covid-19-vaccine-include-10-sites-2021-04-21/

14 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I saw it on the O Board. I  thought they were hoping all of Texas died or turned blue because they removed their masks.

Many states are dropping their mask rules, just suggesting caution etc.  Most who want the vaccine now have it or at least the first dose.  I will continue to be very careful, but it really is time to get back to some normalcy, red or blue, let's cruise!!!

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Many states are dropping their mask rules, just suggesting caution etc.  Most who want the vaccine now have it or at least the first dose.  I will continue to be very careful, but it really is time to get back to some normalcy, red or blue, let's cruise!!!

Yes, I even Vail is going to allow no mask when outside. 

21 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, I even Vail is going to allow no mask when outside. 

I will be getting 2nd shot in a week, one week later we have rented a house for 5 weeks in Provincetown.  Weather will be lovely and they have so many outdoor dining options, which I love.  That said, the thing I want to do the most is sit INSIDE a restaurant and eat by the ocean, something I have not done since March 2020!  Normal is on it's way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, D C said:

There's been quite a few new variants since the SA variant that are noteworthy.  Like the one in California that drove the semi-recent huge wave there.  and the India one now.

It's just that most of the new variants have similar spike mutations to the UK and SA variants.  Those seem to be good evolutionary steps so it's happened multiple times in sort of a convergent evolution type fashion.  So if the vaccines work against SA variant, then the assumption is it'll work for the others, and vice versa, so no real new data/things to panic about.

The real interesting thing will be once there is somewhere with a good % of vaccinated, but under the herd immunity level.  Because that's when the virus will have the maximum evolutionary pressure to evolve against the vaccines.  So like Israel right now, but they are relatively small country.  Or the US in like 2-3 months.  What you have to really worry about is if there is another wave in the US after vaccination rates drop off, that one is the one that is going to suck if it happens.

We can only cross our fingers and hope it's not possible.

Edited by UnorigionalName

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

Curious, did they require masks even when you are skiing down the mountain?

I live in Aspen and yes they do LOL!  You had to have a mask as a gator was not considered a real mask. Most did not or could not do both. Nothing worse than a wet mask from snow.

Edited by TrulyBlonde

3 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I live in Aspen and yes they do LOL!  You had to have a mask as a gator was not considered a real mask. Most did not or could not do both. Nothing worse than a wet mask from snow.

I could see wearing a mask when you are lining up for a chair, but skiing downhill with a mask is a bit silly.  Don't tell me the joggers in Aspen are required to wear masks too.   

• Like 2