The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Today's sunrise comes from the Empress of the Seas.  On oddity for a line known for megaships, Empress is small enough to dock in Hamilton, Bermuda.  On August 19, 2019 we were approaching Key West:

dawn0819.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Jim9310, the Murray River, Australia?

If so, was it a good cruise? We're thinking of doing it once Australian state borders reopen.

Yes, the Murray River, Australia's longest river.  The accommodations were modest, but the crew was wonderful.  Being the only American onboard, the OZ & NZ guests were most helpful and fun to be with.  Enjoyed seeing parts of your country rarely visited by foreigners.  I understand that the water sometimes becomes so shallow that some destinations cannot be visited.

The second picture was taken at the locks and the third on was taken at the Burk Salter boutique winery.

Edited by Jim9310

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise comes from the Empress of the Seas.  On oddity for a line known for megaships, Empress is small enough to dock in Hamilton, Bermuda.  On August 19, 2019 we were approaching Key West:

I have really fond memories of sailing on the Empress of the Seas/Nordic Empress when she was new!  When she was launched, she had a lot of the typical 1990 features, and she eventually got the RCCL design treatment on finishes and decor (which was very appropriate and well done), but some of Admiral's original specs were even more ambitious than what RCCL was willing to try at the time.  Of course the fact that almost every passenger deck was touched by at least one water feature also made her an instant favorite of mine.  lol

Vince

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

Yes, the Murray River, Australia's longest river.  The accommodations were modest, but the crew was wonderful.  Being the only American onboard, the OZ & NZ guests were most helpful and fun to be with.  Enjoyed seeing parts of your country rarely visited by foreigners.  I understand that the water sometimes becomes so shallow that some destinations cannot be visited.

The second picture was taken at the locks and the third on was taken at the Burk Salter boutique winery.

Thanks. I think it might be the only type of cruising we'll get for quite a while, assuming they are operational once things start opening up down here.

13 hours ago, wearesiamese said:

That would have been a tad too easy to guess! LOL Plus I ont have a picture taken from that area of Cook 🙂

That's a very old photo. We did the Indian Pacific in 2003 so it may have changed since then. 

42 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

We made a port stop in Delos on a cruise.  There was a strike and much of the sites were closed. Our cab driver made a stop at a jewelry store much to my husband's dismay.

You might be mixing Delos up with somewhere else. There is only one souvenir store on Delos, near the wharf, and no cabs. It's one huge working archeological site and you're only allowed to walk around it. 

I don't think cruise ships can stop there directly anyway, the port is at Mykonos and there is a ferry across to Delos.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Sunrises come in all forms.  This one was August 21, 2013, coming into Sydney NS on the Veendam.  Just a little streak of red on the horizon.  That morning we passed the Amedea on the way in, originally NYK's Asuka, their first real cruise ship.

dawn0821.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

In 2010 I was one of the very last passengers to leave a Cruise West ship before the line went our of business.  I got to the ship by train and ferry.  On August 22, 2010, the sun came up as the Canadian was in Eastern Manitoba closing in on Winnipeg.

IMG_2525.thumb.JPG.cf3d00665beacc72b8f88d87b5975270.JPG

Roy

• Like 5

On 8/20/2020 at 11:51 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Correct.

Fascinating place!

Having visited Greece a few times, my only visit to Delos was 40 to 50 years ago, when I took a 7-night Greek Island cruise beginning and ending in Athens (Piraeus).  I remember visiting Corfu, Crete, Delos, Mykonos, Santorini, and one or two others.  I no longer have photos or documents from that trip, only fading memories.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:40 AM, travelberlin said:

Be careful with that sprained ankle. I sprained my ankle three weeks ago and it is not healed yet. Doing exercises to strengthen it.

Ivi

After the swelling went down, I realized it was my foot I hurt. I finally went to the doctor this week and it appears to be a foot sprain (nothing broken). You are right - it does take awhile to heal! I am still limping along. Ugh. 

I hope you are feeling better!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

Having visited Greece a few times, my only visit to Delos was 40 to 50 years ago, when I took a 7-night Greek Island cruise beginning and ending in Athens (Piraeus).  I remember visiting Corfu, Crete, Delos, Mykonos, Santorini, and one or two others.  I no longer have photos or documents from that trip, only fading memories.

I guess they would have excavated more of it in those 40-50 years too so it probably looks quite different now.