Who feels good about an oct start date?

seaman11

Thank goodness most of  us are becoming to realization  that most likely (over 90% chance) that cruising won't  be resuming in October...  The CDC has not say a word that they are thinking about lifting the no sail order, likely they will extend it..  Another thing we haven't any evidence or word any crew members have been called/ being contacted to return to cruising..  If they are planning to resume cruising in October most of the crew would be contacted by end of July............... 

• Like 2

Np if we do. I have a 10/3 magic cruise. If cancelled, taking the refund and doing a land vacation. Either way, I win.

I have been flying back and forth to visit husband in Missouri and am pleased with how airlines are handling the restrictions. It is a 2 hour flight and does get a little claustrophobic but a good movie on my tablet helps. I did have a overzealous Karen on my last flight who was spraying not wiping some solution on her seat that was next to mine. Apparently never heard of wipes. I ended up with watery eyes and not so pleasant thoughts about the Lysol vigilantes. Hopefully if I cruise, she won't be on!

Edited by jean87510

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Do you really think so? California is pretty shut down, but I was under the impression that other parts of the south were pretty open. I just want everyone to use their heads with this. 

Not sure what you mean, but CA is not pretty much shut down. Only bars and in room dining.

1 hour ago, jerseyjjs said:

Miami has now been declared THE covid hot spot in the US,   Much like NYC was back in April/May.  Thankfully, there has been many less dying, but the number of cases have boomed.   Add the fact that Carnival has pulled out of Fort Lauderdale, it doesn't bode well for the multitude of Carnival sailings out the south Florida region.

When did Carnival pull out of Fort Lauderdale?

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or if you really believe Carnival knows more about Covid-19 than leading scientists and doctors. 

People greatly underestimate large corporations and what they know. They don't have to necessarily know more. From my time working in a large corporation, there are absolutely teams at Carnival who absolutely understand all of the info that's out there. How the virus travels. How it functions. What to look for. Etc etc. There are big resources being dedicated to formulating a plan. When a corporation is halted, it is PANTS ON FIRE.

I want to believe cruising will resume in Oct. I'm sure Carnival would sail today if they could. It could go either way. We know a lot more about the virus. We know that we were sailing for weeks and months with the virus already. Deaths aren't getting any worse. It's the CDC no sail order that they are trying to overcome.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

So true! When you have a country of me first people and I refuse to live in fear people, you get the mess our country is currently in with no end in sight.

IMHO, there will be no end in sight.  This virus will become another illness issue like the flu.  We will need to adjust and move on.  The most vulnerable will need to take the most precautions, just like the flu.  It's not going way and will become part of life.

• Like 5

I have had 1 cancelled by Carnival, and have a 10/27 booked on Magic. I would like it to sail, but as we learn more daily I have mixed feelings about taking this trip should it sail. I felt much better about my (now cancelled) August trip. New information about the virus and potential long term impacts, how it can be spread, etc. changes my thinking. 

I fully expect my October cruise to be cancelled sometime late next month by Carnival. Especially with folks here in the US not able to get our act together enough to knock this latest spike back down to a more manageable level. Early 2021 is looking iffy at this point, IMO - Flu season + Covid outbreak feels very frightening and disruptive to me. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fla Senior said:

IMHO, there will be no end in sight.  This virus will become another illness issue like the flu.  We will need to adjust and move on.  The most vulnerable will need to take the most precautions, just like the flu.  It's not going way and will become part of life.

Great post that gets to the point about Covid. Pure gold, no scrap metal laying around.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

So true! When you have a country of me first people and I refuse to live in fear people, you get the mess our country is currently in with no end in sight.

Very sad! We have so many people everywhere without masks, it’s scary. We live in Florida and I can’t understand why people refuse to wear a mask. Wearing a mask saves lives. I don’t go out without my mask, and I also don’t go out until we start getting low in groceries. Oh well what can I said, we can’t fix stupidity!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fla Senior said:

Sorry, don’t agree with you. This is not like the flu, this kills you, and f you survive your lungs will have scars forever, and if you are a senior you should take this virus more serious. Many countries have it under control, we don’t ! 

• Like 2

I feel fine about cruising. Sure the virus is probably the most dangerous thing anyone has faced. While there is no cure or prevention medically, isolation is the only way to avoid infection. My feeling is the virus will either die from people isolating, and it has no more hosts to permit replication, or it will mutate through successive generations to a relatively harmless state like other corona viruses that faint at the sight of a lysol can. 

The problem which will interfere most with cruising is the ability to staff the ships. There are still hoards of unfortunate crew unable to leave the ship they are aboard. It will be hard to find staff willing to live in the cramped crew quarters aboard ship.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

People greatly underestimate large corporations and what they know. They don't have to necessarily know more. From my time working in a large corporation, there are absolutely teams at Carnival who absolutely understand all of the info that's out there. How the virus travels. How it functions. What to look for. Etc etc. There are big resources being dedicated to formulating a plan. When a corporation is halted, it is PANTS ON FIRE.

I want to believe cruising will resume in Oct. I'm sure Carnival would sail today if they could. It could go either way. We know a lot more about the virus. We know that we were sailing for weeks and months with the virus already. Deaths aren't getting any worse. It's the CDC no sail order that they are trying to overcome.

Really, that team sure got a F with the Princess ships.

You are correct that they sailed for months knowing they had virus, and in the end it cost them dearly didn't they.  I find it hard to believe governments will permit this same risk till we have herd immunity or a vaccine and the track record for vaccines if you look is terrible and herd immunity will have high costs.

Edited by chipmaster

1 minute ago, Moviela said:

I feel fine about cruising. Sure the virus is probably the most dangerous thing anyone has faced. While there is no cure or prevention medically, isolation is the only way to avoid infection. My feeling is the virus will either die from people isolating, and it has no more hosts to permit replication, or it will mutate through successive generations to a relatively harmless state like other corona viruses that faint at the sight of a lysol can. 

The problem which will interfere most with cruising is the ability to staff the ships. There are still hoards of unfortunate crew unable to leave the ship they are aboard. It will be hard to find staff willing to live in the cramped crew quarters aboard ship.   

I doubt the cruiselines will be allowed to have the crew live in the cramped quarters....more like "one to a cabin".  

Honestly after the stunt they pulled by cancelling the Breeze to take over for the Radiance in PC, I don't know what to say anymore.  And the painful thing is that my countdown clock is still ticking on the Carnival site like it's mocking me.  Jennifer you have only 147 days to go.  NOT.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I doubt the cruiselines will be allowed to have the crew live in the cramped quarters....more like "one to a cabin".  

I think you're right about this - at least in the short run.  I see only two ways to deal with it:

1. Cut the number of crew.  That would cut the number of passengers that can be held by at least half.
  2. Take some passenger rooms out of the inventory and allocate it to the crew.  This would, I estimate, cut down the number of available cabins by 15 to 20%.

It's another thing cruise lines will have to deal with when they start sailing again.

Speaking of sailing again, in regards to the question in the title of this thread, I don't feel good at all about any October sailings happening (including mine).  Carnival needs a lot to go right quickly in order to make that deadline, and they're running out of time.

I don’t see how the cruise lines could really start sailing in any sort of scale October. perhaps a test and a very controlled test at that .

I have a apartment in nyc  but live in the tampabay area.

I saw the hell hole on the city, lost some family.

I live Approximately 20 miles north of Tampa. , and today Florida is a “hotspot” . My doc still has zero patients , I do not know of one patient. 

Certainly not the same as when I was in April in lower Manhattan.

It’s here , and I’m not sure it’s all about opening .

If we look at the protests and where they took place , you will see a correlation. Not being political, just that you get people together , tight spaces , for 5 hrs while  being in a bar or a march.. you have a outbreak.

Like nyc when you have a outbreak and you have multi gen family living in one space you have a larger issue . ( ms tabby knows ). The outbreak in Florida tracks this .. 

We are fortunate today here many are young and not requiring hospitalization or icu ..

This is extremely contagious..

The bottom line , back to cruising .. it’s a closed environment, a control tests of sailings will perhaps nail down some process, operations to reduce risk . But at the end of the day a much more closed environment than most activities .. a ship with a capacity of 4500 , now having 2250 .. that a lot of people in a small space .Smaller than my building in nyc .

What the new cruise experience looks like who knows , who the target customer of the new experience who knows . 

It will be exciting to see what these control tests produce .

Will it be the same as 7 months ago, no way sorry ...not until there is an effective treatment.  we certainly are in much better shape than we were 4 months ago.. until, then hope all are safe .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

Just to clarify, USVI, Dominican Republic, Mexico are all open to visitors. Aruba opened yesterday. Turks & Caicos opens week after next. This of course is all by air, not ships. 

Yup, it will take some time for all of the islands to reopen.  That said, they are very dependent on tourism and will do whatever is necessary to reopen.  Carnival will probably start by going to some private islands in the Caribbean.

We have a cruise scheduled in Oct. We've determined that we will not be sailing on the ship even if it does sail. 

Our reasons:

We do not want to catch Covid because one person on the cruise lied on their form that asks about medical history.

We don't want to end up with a cruise to nowhere because the cruise ports have decided they won't be accepting cruise passengers.

We don't want to face the risk of having to be quarantined either on the ship or after we get home. 

We would have to fly to /from the departure port. We don't have a lot of confidence on that aspect at this time.

Carnival Cruise lines has not to our satisfaction assured us that the intended cruise will actually even happen before they want us to make final payment. 

We love cruises. Been on over 25. Just can't justify the risks at this time.  My lovely love of my life and I often answered when asked by our friends, "why do you guys take so many cruises"? with, "We cruise now because we can. We don't want to wait until we're too old to enjoy the experience".  Little did we ever think that it wouldn't be old age, illness, or lack of funds to cruise, that would curtail our favorite vacation option.  

We would love to back on the ocean visiting our favorite places on Earth. Can't justify it at this time. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Yup, it will take some time for all of the islands to reopen.  That said, they are very dependent on tourism and will do whatever is necessary to reopen.  Carnival will probably start by going to some private islands in the Caribbean.

For our trip to the Dominican next week we have 2 excursions booked. The companies we are going to be with each day I have been conversing with, have both said the exact same thing to me. They thanked me so much for using them and talked about how much they need the business right now. 

• Like 3