Who feels good about an oct start date?

seaman11

15 hours ago, skridge said:

135,802 deaths in the US due to COVID since March is low?

Read his WHOLE post.  Deaths per infection are low.  There is a reason for that, can you tell me why that is so?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Did anyone imply it was over?  

Jimbo the choosing what side is correct will NEVER be solved. To those saying "no big deal" the small county I live in is going to mask required in ALL public places tomorrow.

We are now at a level 3 (Red) which will require more mandates. The Governor who was very proactive from the start , is addressing the state this afternoon. 

Pretty sure Ohioans won't be happy.

We are far, far from being over and let's not forget flu season is quickly approaching, which will more than likely compound things.

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

Jimbo the choosing what side is correct will NEVER be solved. To those saying "no big deal" the small county I live in is going to mask required in ALL public places tomorrow.

We are now at a level 3 (Red) which will require more mandates. The Governor who was very proactive from the start , is addressing the state this afternoon. 

We are far, far from being over and let's not forget flu season is quickly approaching, which will more than likely compound things.

I cannot argue any point you make.  I just choose to look at it as a cup half full.  It is still a mess, but I will look for glimmers...it is just me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I cannot argue any point you make.  I just choose to look at it as a cup half full.  It is still a mess, but I will look for glimmers...it is just me.

Just in the process of cancelling everything again for October. As much as we want to get down to Fla. and meet up with friends we met on a cruise 10 years ago,  it's just not a wise decision right now.

First time in "years" we haven't gotten together at least once a year since then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Me too Jimbo, me to. When you spot a 'glimmer', can you pass it to me? I haven't found many lately. I think I'm getting desperate for some good news. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Just in the process of cancelling everything again for October. As much as we want to get down to Fla. and meet up with friends we met on a cruise 10 years ago,  it's just not a wise decision right now.

First time in "years" we haven't gotten together at least once a year since then.

We just moved from one of our kids home in CT to Long Island.  On the way, we got a call from Beaches T&C, they are not opening on 7/23 as planned, so our trip to Beaches is cancelled (cancelled trip number 8 so far). Feel bad for you not getting together, we are in a different world right now.  We are supposed to head back to SW Florida after Labor Day.....we shall see how everything goes. Next up Conquest 10/12.

Edited by jimbo5544

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Me too Jimbo, me to. When you spot a 'glimmer', can you pass it to me? I haven't found many lately. I think I'm getting desperate for some good news. :classic_sad:

Will do my best.😉

Unfortunately, I am coming around to seeing that there will likely be no cruises this year, and part of next year.  

We are now planning a land vacation to the Keys in September.  We will keep the cruises on the books (six planned between late September and mid-March), but fully expect most if not all of them to be cancelled. 

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 10:06 AM, AmBear said:

The virus exploding in Florida now!

Driving around Florida this past weekend, it seems like only about 50% were wearing masks so the virus will likely get even worse when they plan to reopen schools in August, followed by the Labor Day holidays!

I'd say its likely there will be no cruising this year, and maybe none til the summer of 2021!

In Miami masks are mandatory in public. Restaurants are open al-fresco only. 

1 hour ago, Host Carolyn said:

..........hey I just saved 16% on my car insurance with Geico!!??😇😉

" off with her head!!!!!! Off topic!!! "

Joe, sorry but you just opened the door.......

:classic_laugh: That's funnnnyyy! Thanks! I needed a chuckle! 🥂

One of my large clients just announced a 25,000 worker layoff. They are in the travel business and had anticipated some return to normal business in October. Some departments are losing 37 percent of their people. the company is pushing early retirement because they know situation will not be a 'V' shaped recovery.

Everyone in travel from Expedia and Booking Holdings (who really knows which is #1) down to the guy with a two canoe rental business on the Zambezi has seen their business drop 80% from last year. 

But there is a glimmer of hope. My Halloween cruise may be fine because comparing the course of other corona viruses, this one might peter-out on its own. I think this is one of the contributing factors to the steep decline in deaths per 100,000 population. As sad as it is in Los Angeles County this week 9 out of ten deaths were linked to existing conditions. To be fair hospitals have become better at treating the disease and deserve some of the credit.

Going forward I think we will face greatly reduced travel services. Transportation, lodging, tour operators, and attractions will all be affected. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:31 AM, beerman2 said:

I am in OH as well, I in a "red" area. I also worked in Infectious Diseases at a major hospital and still have many contacts.  I am not worried about this in the least.  I have a high risk family member who works every single day with the public.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moviela said:

One of my large clients just announced a 25,000 worker layoff. They are in the travel business and had anticipated some return to normal business in October. Some departments are losing 37 percent of their people. the company is pushing early retirement because they know situation will not be a 'V' shaped recovery.

Everyone in travel from Expedia and Booking Holdings (who really knows which is #1) down to the guy with a two canoe rental business on the Zambezi has seen their business drop 80% from last year. 

But there is a glimmer of hope. My Halloween cruise may be fine because comparing the course of other corona viruses, this one might peter-out on its own. I think this is one of the contributing factors to the steep decline in deaths per 100,000 population. As sad as it is in Los Angeles County this week 9 out of ten deaths were linked to existing conditions. To be fair hospitals have become better at treating the disease and deserve some of the credit.

Going forward I think we will face greatly reduced travel services. Transportation, lodging, tour operators, and attractions will all be affected. 

Very much so.

United and American are sending extremely clear signals that air travel will not be "back to normal" in 2020 or 2021.

Meanwhile, the botched reopenings in FL, AZ, TX and elsewhere provide that "the virus will just disappear" nonsense is simply not a workable strategy ... not for the public, and not for business.

If the cruise lines hope to have any chance at operating before 2022, they will need to DO THE WORK. Not sit back and hope the CDC goes away or gets bored.

6 hours ago, Moviela said:

But there is a glimmer of hope. My Halloween cruise may be fine because comparing the course of other corona viruses, this one might peter-out on its own.

I hate to tell you this, but your Halloween cruise isn’t happening and this virus isn’t going away on its own. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This will be the first year in 10 years that I will not have multiple cruises.  We typically take 2-4 cruises a year.  I had/have 2 scheduled this year.  First one was in March that obviously was canceled and I have it rescheduled on 11/29 that I suspect will be canceled based on everything occurring especially in Florida where my next cruise is based out of.  Just waiting for Carnival to cancel it.  

On 7/10/2020 at 10:46 PM, seaman11 said:

I dont know, with the cases exploding , i have my doubts, unless they just come to a decision covis is here and we have to carry on amd allow ships to sail.

I fell that there is a 75% chance of an October start date. I mean October 2021.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, zqvol said:

I fell that there is a 75% chance of an October start date. I mean October 2021.

If you mean cruises from US ports, I think the chances are 0% for a cruise in October. I think it is going to be a long time, like mid 2021, before cruises resume from the US.

The American population as a whole is our biggest obstacle that is next to impossible to overcome because there are too many people in this country who have the mindset they are going to do want they want to do, which means no social distancing, no masks, no frequent hand washing, etc.

There were numerous people on this site who frequently made comments like I am not going to live in fear. With people with attitudes like that it isn’t a surprise how bad our country is doing right now dealing with this virus. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1