News: Covid test required 4 days after FP arrival

Mercruiser

I consider this new policy to be a good idea and good news.

Given the 60,000 plus daily cases in the USA, I was fully expecting FP to get cold feet and roll back the opening of tourism until a much later date. The good news is that they didn't do that and have come up with this new approach. They could have just as well gone the way of Australia and NZ, by banning essentially all travel to/from the country. (News reports today show that Qantas is not accepting any new international reservations until March 2021 - 9 months from now. Wow.)

The good idea part is that FP wants to keep Covid completely out of their islands. To do this, and still have tourism, they need to keep tourist transported infections to an absolute minimum.

The risks with the 72 hour advance testings are numerous. The traveler can catch covid during the 72 hours. The covid test can present a false negative. Some travelers might even buy fake test reports. 

The 4 day after arrival test provides a very good back stop against any of these possibilities. 

15 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

I consider this new policy to be a good idea and good news.

The 4 day after arrival test provides a very good back stop against any of these possibilities. 

It does sound like a good policy and good news.

Unfortunately I bought my airfare and arriving only 2 days prior to the cruise. It would not make sense to run a test once a ship gets underway.

A very good idea, just hoping it's not in effect April 2021. Or should I change my flights now?

I wouldn't change anything now. PG will start cruises soon and we will see how they handle it. I think you do this test yourself and then hand in the sample. PG and Windstar will figure this out. 

From the Tahiti news article (translated):

"But a novelty was announced Thursday, with the implementation of a second "self-test"compulsory four days after entering the territory. All new arrivals will thus receive a saliva and nasal test kit to be carried out and presented either at the reception of their hotel, or in the public health structures of the country."

This could easily be done on board. The cruise line would then deliver the samples to the authorities at the next port stop.

Here are links and information about the requirements Air Tahiti Nui's web site:

https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/french-polynesia-entry-requirements-air-tahiti-nui-flight-schedule-0

And a link to FP government web site with the mandatory form:

https://www.etis.pf/en/

Full details on the program

https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/?

Here is a youtube video on how to perform the 4 days after test:

Edited by Mercruiser

Seems very likely that the cruise lines will be collecting the 4 day samples on board. The test must be taken on the specific day, indicated on the envelope, which will be during the cruise for the vast majority of cruise travellers.

I am glad to see that the FP govenrment is being very proactive to keep Covid out of FP, while still providing a safe way to allow tourists to visit.

2 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

Seems very likely that the cruise lines will be collecting the 4 day samples on board. The test must be taken on the specific day, indicated on the envelope, which will be during the cruise for the vast majority of cruise travellers.

I am glad to see that the FP govenrment is being very proactive to keep Covid out of FP, while still providing a safe way to allow tourists to visit.

Mercruiser. Thanks so much for all the info. I will be in BB four days after arrival and guessing the samples could be sent from there as long as interisland flights are running daily then. The worst case scenario is that if you get the virus while you're there. Which is why I can see that proof of health insurance will be mandatory for all visitors.

Again really appreciate all this and for all you do on this board.

29 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Mercruiser. Thanks so much for all the info. I will be in BB four days after arrival and guessing the samples could be sent from there as long as interisland flights are running daily then. The worst case scenario is that if you get the virus while you're there. Which is why I can see that proof of health insurance will be mandatory for all visitors.

Again really appreciate all this and for all you do on this board.

You are welcome - glad to return the favor from all your incredibly helpful posts.

We also will be in BB for a 5 night stay pre-cruise. So we will be turning in our sample at the hotel reception, as shown in the video. They cannot open up BB hotels without a means to collect the 4 day samples in BB. BB is a money making machine for FP. They will figure out a way to make this work.

Hopefully, we will see a few trip reports from PG cruisers on the July and August Tahiti cruises.

Edited by Mercruiser

@Mercruiser

I can't remember when your cruise is? October 2020?

Can't understand why some are canceling their Tahiti cruise because of the COVID testing. It's such a simple thing to do and I know my doc will be sure that I have results quickly for the 3 day prior requirement for a COVID test. I can have it done on the way to the airport and have the results emailed to me. Maybe it's the hassle of getting it 3 days prior or the principle of having it done.

The mask requirement bothers some and I understand that, but we have to wear masks at home and I'd rather be on a ship wearing one. I'm going to wear my snorkel if masks are required in April 2021. 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, l2trav said:

I cannot find anywhere that will give you covid test results quick enough here in Texas to meet the requirements to travel to Tahiti..

Fly United out of SFO ... from what we've heard you can have the test done at the airport and the results in 2 hours. Again that is what we've heard but I would confirm with United yourself 😉

10 hours ago, l2trav said:

I cannot find anywhere that will give you covid test results quick enough here in Texas to meet the requirements to travel to Tahiti..

While United has nothing in writing as of yet, two out of three agents I spoke with told me to arrive 5 hours before flight time, check baggage and you'll be directed to where testing can be done. And available in 2 hours or less. (The third agent didn't know what was going on....??) But the first two agents seemed to have the info immediately at their fingertips. I think ATN and AF will have things worked out too- to have tests done in just a few hours, if not on site at LAX then at one of the clinics they are directing passengers to now. The airlines and Tahiti want us and need us. They're going to make it easy but have to work out the kinks yet.

Edited by Petoonya

@Mercruiser

Maybe you saw it already but on the WS forum Big Edwin is viewing a webinar on Tuesday about United and their Tahiti travel. Hopefully it will include instructions as to COVID testing specific to SFO departures. UA's first outbound flight is same day.

He said he'd go straight to the WS forum to report when he sees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

@Mercruiser

Maybe you saw it already but on the WS forum Big Edwin is viewing a webinar on Tuesday about United and their Tahiti travel. Hopefully it will include instructions as to COVID testing specific to SFO departures. UA's first outbound flight is same day.

Petoonya  ...

Please post here as well 🙂

On 8/1/2020 at 1:02 PM, Petoonya said:

@Mercruiser

I'll look forward to the update.

Personally, I would prefer to take the Covid test at home before I leave. But it will be really good to have a "Plan B" in case the at home test results do not come out on time.

I have a PPT-LAX award flight on ATN for the trip home. I still don't know what airline/route I'll be taking to get to FP. 

@Mercruiser

Very nice on the return award flight 🙂Agree about the niceties of having it done at home and results in hand. My flight is on a Tuesday and can't imagine where I'd get it done on a weekend in the part of the country I live. Arriving in SFO for departure a day early as a precaution. But then throwing caution to the wind having flights booked so early. At least they are changeable but hoping not to have to postpone this till 2022.

Darn, I hope this is going to work! Especially for the French Polynesians but sure wouldn't mind getting to wear my mask and social distance with them next year. Feel badly for those who sail in October. It's worrisome.

I'll get that webinar news posted asap when I read it.

@Mercruiser

And everyone else too.

I'm no scientist but the 72 hour (RT) PCR COVID test is a mystery to me. What people do in the interim to pick up COVID between getting the test and boarding the flight could lead one to board the plane infected. The 72 hour test is great, but what about as a follow-up, do the rapid test like they do on Emirates before boarding. It's a gauntlet and no guarantee, but one more safety measure. I'd rather do that than expose others to my potential infection. And live with the guilt of having to have a whole ship return to port mid-cruise.

*Maybe* it could have picked up the person from PG.

Or miracle of miracles, just what if United really does have a way of doing an (RT) PCR test in the terminal right before boarding? That would solve everything from SFO anyway.

Edited by Petoonya

I just received this in my email tonight from Health Commission of French Polynesia. 

Following the self-test protocol, one case of Covid-19 has been detected on board the cruise ship Paul Gauguin

Since July 15, a rigorous health protocol has been put in place by the authorities as part of the resumption of commercial flights and to allow the recovery of the tourism sector, including a RT-PCR test 3 days prior to departure, mandatory self-registration on the ETIS platform and self-test 4 days after arrival in the territory.

As part of this health protocol, namely the mandatory self-test has been detected in an international visitor aboard the Paul Gauguin ship.

The cruise ship immediately reverted back to the island of Tahiti to follow up on the health of all passengers. It docked at the port of Papeete this Sunday morning at 9:00 AM, with 148 passengers and 192 crew members on board.

Tests were immediately carried out this morning on board the ship by health personnel.

In accordance with its health and sanitary regulations, the PONANT company has implemented strict isolation measures on board.

A health investigation is currently underway regarding all the contacts that the passenger concerned may have had.

The High Commissioner's Crisis Department in coordination with French Polynesia’s Health and Tourism services met this morning to take charge of this situation.

The country's authorities will communicate again on the subject as soon as the first results of these tests are known, probably this evening.

• Like 1

Here's the report from United's webinar from Bid Edwin. You can see it on the Windstar board.

•  
On 8/1/2020 at 10:20 AM, Petoonya said:

@bigedwin

Thanks. Will be anxiously awaiting your findings.

Hello

Just listened to United presentation. Hosted By Tahiti Tourism.

First Tahiti tourism updated  PG Issue.

They reported the Health Protocol is Working.

They consider the PG incident as a positive outcome of the Plan.

Testing procedure has been strengthened by adding the Testing on the day of boarding.

UNITED

They Will start tonight with the first flight to Tahiti.

The first flight back will return on August 5th.

Mask Will be required in airport and in Airplane.

Crew will have additional mask for passengers that need a replacement.

Highlighted their Clean Plus initiative in partnership with Clorox. 

Information on the program is their website.

Food services will be provided in sealed packages.

No blankets or pillows will be provided in any class of service.

International departure city will not check documents, The Documents will be checked in SAN FRANCISCO.

Inquired about the Testing in San Francisco by United,

They totally Ignored the question............

They reinstated that they have updated their website with the latest information.

Sent in the Question to Sandy Everett United Leisure Sales Representative to see if she can provide an answer.

It feels to me that they are going to follow Air Tahiti Nui Process of requiring testing 3 days prior to international portion of the flight.

But today is the first day the flight departs in about 2 hours so we should start seeing some reports on how the real experience went.

• Like 1