Is it Just Me ???

Pinboy

4 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I'm going through that right now, but unpacking the motorhome instead... and no one came to make my bed or clean, and we had to cook our own food!

We have more unpacking than usual this time, as we are trading in our 20 year-old rig for a beautiful new one we bought on our way home and will pick up in a few weeks. We will be land-cruising for a while as we wait for ocean cruising to return. RVing is a fantastic way to be socially distant while still getting to travel. 

I sure do miss having a steward, though, and cooks, a waitstaff, bartenders...

We are presently half way up a mountainside in North Wales overlooking Anglesey and Puffin Island in our tourer. No butler service, no Murano’s but pure heaven to have a change of scenery after months at home...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, d9704011 said:

And they’re dynamic too.... chasing me out of lounges, bars and other locations I’d like to use for their advertised purposes; not as an art bazaar. 

I hate the daily waste of paper that they send to my cabin.  People truly interested can find out about their on board events in other ways.  No need to deluge the rest of us.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Excellent point!  I hope she attains mobility again soon.  I am always appalled at some of the rudeness shown people on scooters at the elevators.

I always thought that perhaps in peak times of traffic, they could reserve one elevator for the folks in wheelchairs and scooters.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I always thought that perhaps in peak times of traffic, they could reserve one elevator for the folks in wheelchairs and scooters.

One elevator ???? Didn't you mean 3 ???

That's a " great " idea --- if you want to see verbal fights. 

On 7/12/2020 at 1:25 PM, 39august said:

The only thing I  don't miss is the canapes for concierge and aqua class cabins.

Totally agree with you on that one.  The canapes are awful and hard to distinguish what they are sometimes.  We usually speak with the concierge and request things we like.  Last time, they gave us two plates, one with the unknown stuff and another with things we can at least eat.  Sometimes we just get some cheese from the buffet and have cheese and crackers (I bring my own crackers).   Unfortunately, lately they have been dropping off the plates early, before 3 while we're still up on deck.  If I see them out,  I'll put them in the fridge until we get back to our room. 

I don't understand how such a simple thing as canapes can handled so poorly by Celebrity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

Totally agree with you on that one.  The canapes are awful and hard to distinguish what they are sometimes.  We usually speak with the concierge and request things we like.  Last time, they gave us two plates, one with the unknown stuff and another with things we can at least eat.  Sometimes we just get some cheese from the buffet and have cheese and crackers (I bring my own crackers).   Unfortunately, lately they have been dropping off the plates early, before 3 while we're still up on deck.  If I see them out,  I'll put them in the fridge until we get back to our room. 

I don't understand how such a simple thing as canapes can handled so poorly by Celebrity.

I couldn't even get the top off the last one I received.  Neither could my cabin attendant.  Told him to skip them.

What I DON'T miss:

• Driving to Miami or Fort Lauderdale (and paying horrendous hotel prices there!) when heading out on a Caribbean cruise
  • The sardine style muster drills
  • The mystery canapes 
  • Chair hogs
  • The smokers near the pool bar
  • Having a plate full of food in my hand and not being able to find a seat in the buffet dining area
  • How "unauthentic" and commercialized many of the port locations have become over the years, filled with shops owned by the cruise lines
  • Cruise directors and Activity Directors who think they're funny/entertaining, but are not

That said, there are so many things to love about cruising (if not, why would we spend all that money to do it?!?).  What I love about cruising:

• Being on the sea... the salt air, the sea birds as we approach land, just watching the mesmerizing waters
  • Going to sleep to the (usually) gentle rocking of the ship
  • Usually waking up somewhere different to where I was when I went to sleep... the anticipation of opening the curtains in the morning to see what new view awaits me
  • Being somewhere I haven't been before and revisiting places and memories I've really enjoyed in the past
  • Meeting interesting people from all over the country/world on the ship, on excursions and in the port cities
  • Cruise directors and Activity Directors who really ARE funny/entertaining, awesome and hard-working ship's officers and staff
  • Having every delicious meal, snack and beverage from morning 'til night prepared for me (and most importantly, someone else cleaning up and doing the dishes!)
  • Participating in silly activities I don't normally do, or don't do that often (paper airplane contests, trivia, etc.)
  • People watching 
  • Having nowhere to be, unless I want to be there (well, except for the dreaded muster drill)
  • Being able to choose among the many different "atmospheres" available on the ship, as defined by decor. music, dress and activities
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, SunsetPoint said:

Cruise directors and Activity Directors who think they're funny/entertaining, but are not

That's a " Good One ''---  Can't name names on CC.

I can't stand hearing the term " Put Your Hands Together For  " . I go home with blisters !!!!

Glad they don't do that " dining room Hot Hot Hot dance " anymore where we cheer like hell for the waiters, asst waiters, the chefs , the Officers , and, and, and . 

If I stood up and cheered at our favorite restaurants at home, the owner would call the police .

( We still have police here in Canada )

18 hours ago, Pinboy said:

That's a " Good One ''---  Can't name names on CC.

I can't stand hearing the term " Put Your Hands Together For  " . I go home with blisters !!!!

Glad they don't do that " dining room Hot Hot Hot dance " anymore where we cheer like hell for the waiters, asst waiters, the chefs , the Officers , and, and, and . 

If I stood up and cheered at our favorite restaurants at home, the owner would call the police .

( We still have police here in Canada )

Wrong. You can mention names on CC. Not TAs. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SevenSeas1492 said:

Another thing I don’t miss are the port talks, a.k.a., shopping talks, directing you to Diamonds International and other cruise line sanctioned businesses.   

They are nothing but Infomercials-- We don't go to them. We don't watch them. 

However, they are not as bad as that piece of junk Undercover Boss tv show -- same 3 " hard luck " stories  every show .

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

I don't miss the sight of suitcases left outside the cabins on last sea day evening. It always made me feel down and depressed knowing another cruise is about to come to an end.

Hate putting the suitcases out! Only time it hasn’t bothered me going down the corridor seeing all those cases was when we were on a B2B...

We have never in recent years got off the ship without already having at least one or two others booked....If I didn’t have another booked I don’t think I could bear it...

17 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Hate putting the suitcases out! Only time it hasn’t bothered me going down the corridor seeing all those cases was when we were on a B2B...

We have never in recent years got off the ship without already having at least one or two others booked....If I didn’t have another booked I don’t think I could bear it...

It's odd.  I usually have at least four cruises booked, but for some time that number has been coming down by personal choice and now with Covid and cancellation of Summit in October I have none.  I'm actually ok with that. 

I have turned the question a bit and would say what do I miss at home?  Because I do B2Bs quite a lot and sometimes lasting six weeks or more I have really enjoyed the seasons in the garden this year. I've missed that.  Came back from New Zealand and a cruise from Los Angeles across the Pacific to Wellington on February 15th and have been here ever since.  That hasn't happened for years and I have seen the whole blooming thing.🌼  In the garden I mean.  I have to take a positive out of this situation.  When I'm ready and confident enough I'll go back, but I have the memories of past trips to keep me going.  

Phil

• Like 3

On 7/14/2020 at 8:39 PM, TeeRick said:

I hate the daily waste of paper that they send to my cabin.  People truly interested can find out about their on board events in other ways.  No need to deluge the rest of us.

I'm with you on this one - Such a waste of time, energy & money 

On 7/14/2020 at 1:39 PM, TeeRick said:

There are many individual things like this we can pick fault in.  Trouble is it then becomes something of a whingefest.  I was trying to look at the bigger picture.  If you get what I mean.

Phil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

It's odd.  I usually have at least four cruises booked, but for some time that number has been coming down by personal choice and now with Covid and cancellation of Summit in October I have none.  I'm actually ok with that. 

I have turned the question a bit and would say what do I miss at home?  Because I do B2Bs quite a lot and sometimes lasting six weeks or more I have really enjoyed the seasons in the garden this year. I've missed that.  Came back from New Zealand and a cruise from Los Angeles across the Pacific to Wellington on February 15th and have been here ever since.  That hasn't happened for years and I have seen the whole blooming thing.🌼  In the garden I mean.  I have to take a positive out of this situation.  When I'm ready and confident enough I'll go back, but I have the memories of past trips to keep me going.  

Phil

Like you we have also enjoyed the garden this year for both its beauty and opportunities for light exercise without leaving home.

We cruise far less than you...Our max in any one year is two cruises. Our second favourite holiday type is using our touring caravan which we are presently in. After spending over four months in our own home and garden we are listening to the seagulls and watching the sun over the Great Orm and the clouds over Anglesey and Puffin Island with more appreciation than ever before. No facilities on site but a safe home from home.

You are right to look at the positives of this time, if you don’t enjoy every day for what is is you lose so much.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

For the last 10 years or so, I've always had 1 or 2 cruises booked at all times, and i look forward to the 3 that I have booked now. That being said, given the circumstance, I have also been enjoying the beach, staying at home, and doing things around the house.If the cruises cancel, I'll be disappointed, but not crushed. There is life after cruising.

5 hours ago, deliver42 said:

There is life after cruising

Excellent comment !!

You wouldn't believe it by reading CC for the past few months--- And to think some are " depressed " over not being able to cruise. That should be anyone's biggest problem. 

Ok, Ok, Who am I to talk for anyone else ?

On 7/14/2020 at 10:34 PM, SunsetPoint said:

Cruise directors and Activity Directors who think they're funny/entertaining, but are not

You mean like some thread starters here?

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

Anything " funny " about this thread ???

Explain.

Did you think I was inferring you? There are lots of thread starters here. But if the shoe fits........

Just now, ORV said:

Did you think I was inferring you? There are lots of thread starters here. But if the shoe fits........

Yes, I did.  

How about one, just, one  example of a thread that you are thinking of if not the one you are reading .

LOL---No worries, I'm not insulted .