Dressing up

jcool

Do I really need to dress up for the dining room? I dislike dressing up in a dress I am a sneaker and t-shirt and jeans women. Do not get me wrong. I have a lot of dresses. And how does my husband need to dress?He loves dressing up. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jcool said:

Do I really need to dress up for the dining room? I dislike dressing up in a dress I am a sneaker and t-shirt and jeans women. Do not get me wrong. I have a lot of dresses. And how does my husband need to dress?He loves dressing up. 

No one will know what you or your husband are wearing under this:

51c9cPWLArL._AC_UX385_.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Sneakers, t-shirts and jeans. Sounds like me although I don't have dresses as they don't look good with my older manly figure. 😁

For your hubby, most nights something like Dockers, and a polo or golf shirt work just fine (even jeans are ok as long as they are in good repair, i.e. no holes). I marginally respect formal night and switch to a long-sleeved shirt and may or may not throw a sport coat on top. Of course if hubby really likes to dress up, that will be fine. All in all, I try to match the level of what DW is wearing.

For you, while I have less first-person experience, it seems to me that your jeans and sneakers along with a t-shirt will get you in the door on any night except formal night. Even on formal nights though, if you make any attempt at going up a level in your attire, you'll get in.

For males the only thing is that they don't allow shorts.   Almost anything else goes; even on "Formal" nights many males do not adhere to the requirements.   The staff admit that they cannot "Force" males to adhere.

I would say that what you want for yourself is "normal" for quite a number of women except on formal nights when most females do tend to "dress up" more.

Another dress thread. Kind of an answer.

On most Princess cruises most evenings are smart casual and there are a few formal nights (2 formals on a 7 day cruise).

Women: Basically for smart casual evenings if the jeans and T shirt are respectable you can wear them. Sneakers are not a problem. Most maitre'ds do not allow shorts in the DR for the evening meal. On formal evenings you can still wear nice jeans, with a nice polo and your lovable sneakers.

Men: If your hubby likes to dress up go for it on formal nights. Lots of men in suit and tie, sport jacket with or without a tie, shirt and tie with no jacket, nice sport shirt or island print shirt. Not too many in actual formal tux. On smart casual evenings nice shirt and long pants. Again you may be turned away in shorts.

Other meals are casual dress, no bathing wear.

Evening dinner in other venues such as the buffet, or a specialty restaurant are smart casual, but you will find some passengers dressed more than others.

4 hours ago, jcool said:

Curious as what you would wear to a fancy event as most cruises have some formal nights?  Most nights are smart casual only in the main dining room for dinner. Other places are OK except no shorts for dinner except for the buffet. 

What would you wear besides the sneakers, t-shirt & jeans?

Tom😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oskidunker said:

You picked the right cruise line if you dont want to dress up.The dress code is notbreally enforced except no shorts for dinner. 

That has not been my experience. It depends on the itinerary and the ship whether the dress code is enforced.

• Like 1

For males the only thing is that they don't allow shorts.   Almost anything else goes; even on "Formal" nights many males do not adhere to the requirements.   The staff admit that they cannot "Force" males to adhere.

I would say that what you want for yourself is "normal" for quite a number of women except on formal nights when most females do tend to "dress up" more.

I have seen men in shorts in the MDR so it’s not really enforced

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here's what we do...

Me: a long dress that hides my orthopedic shoes :classic_tongue:. I have a black one and a blue one & bring one of them on the cruise. I wear the same outfit for every formal night.

He: has a black sweater (a tan one also, but he likes the black one) and wears a nice looking pair of slightly dressy black pants.

When we first started cruising we bought DH 2 suits (just for formal night), he's a t-shirt and jeans kind of guy and didn't own a suit. After about the 3rd cruise, he left the suits in the closet. Likely can't even get in them anymore.

4 hours ago, oskidunker said:

You picked the right cruise line if you dont want to dress up.The dress code is notbreally enforced except no shorts for dinner. 

But capris are fine 🙂

10 minutes ago, rkmw said:

I have seen men in shorts in the MDR so it’s not really enforced

So have I - but only for lunch. I can honestly say I have never seen a man wearing shorts in the dining room at dinner. I have been on a cruise where a man in shorts was denied entry to the dining room for dinner.

For those who simply can't stand to dress up even as far as "smart casual" I would suggest a different cruise line. Perhaps Carnival would suit better. I wear tee shirts (or perhaps a Tommy Bahama) with jeans or shorts, and sandals during the day. In the evening I always switch to dockers, a button-up shirt with a collar, (again, I like Tommy Bahama - floral or solid color 😎) and "real" shoes. I don't find it to be difficult or intrusive.

At home I don't change clothes in the evening unless I'm going "out" - which doesn't happen these days. When I'm cruising I like a little more class than just hanging out around the house.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So have I - but only for lunch. I can honestly say I have never seen a man wearing shorts in the dining room at dinner. I have been on a cruise where a man in shorts was denied entry to the dining room for dinner.

For those who simply can't stand to dress up even as far as "smart casual" I would suggest a different cruise line. Perhaps Carnival would suit better. I wear tee shirts (or perhaps a Tommy Bahama) with jeans or shorts, and sandals during the day. In the evening I always switch to dockers, a button-up shirt with a collar, (again, I like Tommy Bahama - floral or solid color [emoji41]) and "real" shoes. I don't find it to be difficult or intrusive.

At home I don't change clothes in the evening unless I'm going "out" - which doesn't happen these days. When I'm cruising I like a little more class than just hanging out around the house.

Sailing from US ports it may not happen but with Australian sailings it does happen and even on formal nights

11 minutes ago, cvpends said:

Who else is as excited as me to see a dress code thread?  Back to a normal topic after too many months of talk of cancellations, refunds, and FCC's!

Maybe this thread should be merged with one of the older dress code threads?

3 minutes ago, rkmw said:

Sailing from US ports it may not happen but with Australian sailings it does happen and even on formal nights

it's about 103F here at the moment (about 39.5C) here at the moment. I have no problem wearing shorts to restaurants in this kind of weather. It's never hot like that on the ship though so I don't mind wearing long pants for the evening when sailing. Of course, if we plan to be up on Lido deck I may well stick with the shorts!

• Like 1

I have seen shorts worn on non-formal nights in the MDR last year on a cruise to HI and earlier in the year on a cruise to the Caribbean.  I also saw jeans worn on formal night with a Hawaiian type shirt on formal night with other nights men with tshirts with some kind of logo.  Then there was the hats on men and not just baseball type hats where they did not remove them while eating their meals. 

Personally non-formal nights are jeans, polo type shirt and my athletic shoes.  Formal night it is my guayabera short sleeved shirt, dockers and my athletic shoes (same ones for all nights).  

I just got back from Sunday night dinner in restaurant.  I had on my usual shorts, tshirt and sandals dressed like many in the restaurant.  It was 103F today.

Refreshing to get a wardrobe question instead of the recent constant "when will I get my refund" etc.   It was getting really old. 

Edited by satxdiver
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Then there was the hats on men and not just baseball type hats where they did not remove them while eating their meals. 

My wife's mother would have had a lot to say about wearing a hat indoors - let alone in a restaurant. I see it when we go out but I don't understand it at all. I guess I'm just old. I do not wear a hat inside and I do not think one should wear a hat in a restaurant. Of course I'm so lame I think the bill of a ball cap should be in the front... 🙄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Thrak said:

My wife's mother would have had a lot to say about wearing a hat indoors - let alone in a restaurant. I see it when we go out but I don't understand it at all. I guess I'm just old. I do not wear a hat inside and I do not think one should wear a hat in a restaurant. Of course I'm so lame I think the bill of a ball cap should be in the front... 🙄

What !!! You mean you don't wear a baseball cap with the bill at the back and use one hand to shield your eyes from the sun? 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cvpends said:

Who else is as excited as me to see a dress code thread?  Back to a normal topic after too many months of talk of cancellations, refunds, and FCC's!

I too was getting pretty tired of the refund treads so I think it is soooooo nice to go back to the old ways again about dress-butter-chairs- booze and maybe even chair hogging. Can't wait 😉.

Theo

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

For those who simply can't stand to dress up even as far as "smart casual" I would suggest a different cruise line. Perhaps Carnival would suit better. I wear tee shirts (or perhaps a Tommy Bahama) with jeans or shorts, and sandals during the day. In the evening I always switch to dockers, a button-up shirt with a collar, (again, I like Tommy Bahama - floral or solid color 😎) and "real" shoes. I don't find it to be difficult or intrusive.

For those who insist on dressing up then I would suggest another cruise line that would fit your desired standards.  Princess does not enforce their own suggestions so the are useless.  Maybe finding a company that does enforce theirs might be more to your liking. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Renmar said:

I too was getting pretty tired of the refund treads so I think it is soooooo nice to go back to the old ways again about dress-butter-chairs- booze and maybe even chair hogging. Can't wait 😉.

Theo

Oooorrrrr....we can go back to compulsively searching your site for the *very* best obstructed view cabin!