Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 29

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, July 13 and Sunday, July 19.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Well, all the camera equipment is put away. Several weeks of hospital and post-surgery rehab coming up.  No photos for 3 months.

But, as the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you. So out comes the iPhone 7 for some Thursday morning shots.

75B93B40-EB85-4284-80B3-AA893755409F.thumb.jpeg.0c9c2491ea16d351aeef20d17f340d18.jpeg

42AC79C2-F4B0-425C-89BA-6E9E090ADE27.thumb.jpeg.f78d116bf878ba5a8a49ec17e2ca6437.jpeg

CCB1AF28-7376-44D8-BE90-7E6DD4D20F9C.thumb.jpeg.2f19a0c6be24765a1535c15ec5fb8c67.jpeg

• Like 2

Another step along the long road leading to our family cookbook's eventual completion. I guess this will be the year of food, flower and people pictures since travel has been and may be a non-option for a while. The latest completed page is for Kim’s Tortilla Soup. This started as an attempt to replicate a restaurant favorite and after a half-dozen tries, we came up with this recipe. While trying to make a soup we liked as well as the restaurant’s, this last iteration actually tasted better to us. That’s called a win. The recipe is only about 20-25 years old but has been a go-to favorite on cold winter days and even hot summer ones when the mood strikes. Garnished with fried tortilla strips and a mild grated cheese, it looks as good as it tastes.

Sopa de Tortilla

p3935271302-5.jpg

Dave

4 minutes ago, pierces said:

Another step along the long road leading to our family cookbook's eventual completion. I guess this will be the year of food, flower and people pictures since travel has been and may be a non-option for a while. The latest completed page is for Kim’s Tortilla Soup.

Dave

looks good - but what is the recipe?

On 7/20/2020 at 12:48 PM, pierces said:

Another step along the long road leading to our family cookbook's eventual completion. I guess this will be the year of food, flower and people pictures since travel has been and may be a non-option for a while. The latest completed page is for Kim’s Tortilla Soup. This started as an attempt to replicate a restaurant favorite and after a half-dozen tries, we came up with this recipe. While trying to make a soup we liked as well as the restaurant’s, this last iteration actually tasted better to us. That’s called a win. The recipe is only about 20-25 years old but has been a go-to favorite on cold winter days and even hot summer ones when the mood strikes. Garnished with fried tortilla strips and a mild grated cheese, it looks as good as it tastes.

Sopa de Tortilla

p3935271302-5.jpg

Dave

Looks delicious!

Playing catch-up on the threads - having skipped the last week worth of shooting, and then waiting two weeks to get around to offloading the memory card for shots taken over the last two weekends!

Here are some various animals from our lone wetland spot still open during the pandemic, as well as from my backyard, taken while soaking in my pool to cool off after wandering around in the wetlands in 110 degree heat indexes:

A green heron sticking his periscope neck all the way up as I approach (taken through a fogged up lens from the humidity, which i didn't realize at first before noticing the odd soft-filter effect and looking at the end glass...took a 10 minute break to let the condensation burn off after that!):

original.jpg

A lovely wood duck, cruising through the aptly named duckweed:

original.jpg

A green heron on the hunt for a fish:

original.jpg

A common grackle in my backyard, hanging out in my hibiscus, while I shoot from the pool:

original.jpg

Northern cardinal, getting all puffed up in my yard:

original.jpg

• Like 4