Have you seen people denied entrance to dining room because not. Dressed properly?

oskidunker

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

But, if you play that card, you should not call elevators “lifts” or sweaters “jumpers” (or use any other quaint Britishisms) while on the western half of the crossing.

Will "other quaint Britishisms" include the correct use of a knife and a fork when dining? 😉

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Will "other quaint Britishisms" include the correct use of a knife and a fork when dining? 😉

If you are referring to keeping the fork in the left hand and knife in the right - rather than performing that silly juggling act , I do not recognize that practice as a quaint Britishism, having dined that way since I dispensed with a pusher.  True, many Americans have not  learned how to eat — but then there are a number of appalling habits maintained on both sides of our common sea.

27 minutes ago, newjoisey said:

i know what i call a british breakfast with hot dogs n beans.........and it aint complimentary 

Okay, as it's not free, what is the charge for you to post what you call a British Breakfast.

For my part, have never seen a British Breakfast offered on any Menu.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, newjoisey said:

complimentary = not having anything nice to say about it ........nothing to do with money....i should have been more clear 

Could you kindly clarify the actual composition of a British Breakfast, as this named repast is new to one?

2 hours ago, newjoisey said:

i know what i call a british breakfast with hot dogs n beans.........and it aint complimentary 

Perhaps, an American breakfast?

Certainly the English Breakfasts I have been served aboard a Cunard ship have never included a hotdog. For clarity see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog. An American breakfast may well include a hotdog but being British I’m not qualified to say.

I guess you're referring to the "Full English", it should be made with proper sausages, not Hot Dog sausages. It's English not British because there are alternative Scottish and Welsh breakfasts.

Usually we complain about being called English not British but in the case of the breakfast it's English.

2 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

Perhaps, an American breakfast?

Certainly the English Breakfasts I have been served aboard a Cunard ship have never included a hotdog. For clarity see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog. An American breakfast may well include a hotdog but being British I’m not qualified to say.

no dude....we don't do hot dogs n beans for breakfast 

4 minutes ago, newjoisey said:

what part of hot dogs n beans are you not getting 

So your definition of a British Breakfast is dogs n beans.

Do not know the existence of a British Breakfast, per se.   English - yes; Scottish - yes; Welsh- yes; Irish - yes; all with different regional variations.  But British - no.

The only knowledge of a meal consisting of dog n beans (One thinks), was a scene from "Blazing Saddles" where Americans were taking food by a camp fire.

Okay, one now gets it.....Americans eating dogs n beans for breakfast, in the minds of some Americans, is a successful attempt to be British.  Hence British Breakfast.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I guess you're referring to the "Full English", it should be made with proper sausages, not Hot Dog sausages. It's English not British because there are alternative Scottish and Welsh breakfasts.

Usually we complain about being called English not British but in the case of the breakfast it's English.

first time i got foreign whatever on the qm2 years ago i just pushed the beans away and tried the proper....it was a hot dog 

17 minutes ago, newjoisey said:

first time i got foreign whatever on the qm2 years ago i just pushed the beans away and tried the proper....it was a hot dog 

Interesting, you seem to aver the beans in question were "foreign".  Beans served could well have been American, in that case "foreign" is correct.  If British beans, then not "foreign"

But how did you know the true origin of the beans to correctly attribute the word "foreign".

Seem to recall "beans" being a native American staple food, before arriving in Europe.

10 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

It's a proper fry up and Cunard's version is OK but no toast holders.

6 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Yes there is! We always have one in QG.

Maybe in QG, in PG I don't remember any. In Britannia I remember someone briging their own.  Maybe someone can chime in?  Additionally, the thin sandwich bread Cunard uses is pretty lousy.

Edited by resistk

12 hours ago, resistk said:

It's a proper fry up and Cunard's version is OK but no toast holders.

I admit to being easily confused, but I don't recall a fry up on the Cunard menu. I have six or seven (have to go back and count) crossings to my credit and have been lucky enough to be in PG or QG (upgraded from PG) each time. I remember there being something that I think is called the "All American Breakfast," that includes a variety of items, but not the Full English (or Scottish or Welsh or Irish) Breakfast. I recall that one can order the items individually to compose such a meal, except for fried bread, which I do not recall seeing (and maybe white pudding, but that may only be on the Full Scottish and Irish Breakfast versions).

I guess it is obvious I have no idea what I'm talking about, which is rarely a disqualification on discussion boards.

However, I do recall seeing toast racks in PG and QG, although I cannot say that they are always available. Anecdotal evidence does not, unfortunately, prove one's point.

Edited by ExArkie
Corrected a mistake
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 12:17 PM, newjoisey said:

You should try to distinguish sausages - what you got served on QM2  with the beans and eggs, probably the tomato (but hopefully not the black pudding) was a banger - not a hot dog - big, big difference. 

22 hours ago, oskidunker said:

I do like British bacon. Looks like ham. My wife wont eat American bacon but will eat that. I usually pass on the beans. 

Typical “American bacon” has been downgraded by cheapening - much like cruising on mass market lines.  The cruise lines kept cutting back on food quality, service and entertainment in order to hold down cost so as to boost customer base. 

Mass market bacon producers have done the same - they short cut the curing process so there is no effective smoke curing, and they slice it thinner and thinner so the unthinking consumer will still think he his getting his three slices at an affordable price.  If you are willing to pay for quality, you can get properly smoked bacon, sliced thick enough so it has some body and flavor to it. 

But, in the interest of buying it cheap, the mass market goes for the tasteless, paper thin imitation crap.  And, in many cases they buy packages of 12 ounces vs the former typical pound packages;  the same way a “large” bag of sugar is now four pound rather than five. By shrinking the unit size the manufacturers hide the cost increase.  

The old adage still holds : “The masses are asses”.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Haha 1