High Seas

For those needing a cruise fix I suggest High Seas if you have access to Netflix.  A bit quirky story set on a liner in the 1940’s — lots of murder and mayhem.  But you see what liners were like long ago when there was definitely class distinction.  Ladies — the costumes are very Art Deco — no torn jeans, bikinis or inappropriate clothes for dinner.  Interesting to see how everyone dressed — even during the day.

I am 4 episodes into Season

1.  There are 2 seasons with a third to come later this year.  Katherine

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Not a big fan of captions

Do you have captions turned on?  No captions on big screen tv in our house but captions turned on when I watch the show on my laptop.  I thought the dubbing was quite good.  I didn’t even notice it until I read the show was fron Spain online.

4 hours ago, Love PalmTrees said:

Thanks!  I have been forced to watch corny old episodes of "The Love Boat" to get my "cruise fix".  Haha.  Stay safe - stay healthy, everyone!!  

I have been doing the same... I found a someone on Youtube posting entire episodes.  It has been a fun distraction.  It was interesting to note that the Pacific Princess was less than half the tonnage of the Empress of the Seas.  That sure says a lot about how cruising has changed in a single generation.

I have succumbed to reality television watching "Below Deck" on Bravo TV. The million dollar yachts, incredible locations such as the Caribbean, Tahiti, Thailand and the chef cooking amazing food draws me but the drama of the crew keeps me coming back for more. I've watched "Below Deck" Seasons 1-7 and now on "Below Deck Mediterranean."  I have also found I have learned a lot about boat terminology, and just what it takes to run a yacht of that size. Very interesting stuff plus you get a train wreck of a crew.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I have succumbed to reality television watching "Below Deck" on Bravo TV. The million dollar yachts, incredible locations such as the Caribbean, Tahiti, Thailand and the chef cooking amazing food draws me but the drama of the crew keeps me coming back for more. I've watched "Below Deck" Seasons 1-7 and now on "Below Deck Mediterranean."  I have also found I have learned a lot about boat terminology, and just what it takes to run a yacht of that size. Very interesting stuff plus you get a train wreck of a crew.

I agree on the earlier ones being of interest but the producer orchestrated trauma/drama with the crew drove me away on the later ones in Season 1 and 2.

• Like 1

Some of the love boat plots are tough to watch these days, but I’ll never get tired of the opening theme song, the shots of the ship, pier, loading, etc. The guests walking on the ship and being told their cabin number (is that really how it worked?)... it’s all so fun. 

51 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

producer orchestrated trauma/drama with the crew

From what I have researched that's not the case. Read this about behind the scenes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/style/below-deck-bravo.html

Never the less there is some very uncomfortable drama that occurs between the crew that can make it hard to watch.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

From what I have researched that's not the case. Read this about behind the scenes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/style/below-deck-bravo.html

Never the less there is some very uncomfortable drama that occurs between the crew that can make it hard to watch.

I was watching Watch What Happens Live after Below Deck last night and Andy Cohen mentioned that article.  Thanks for the link, was meaning to go find the article today.

I had never watched this series and binge watched it during this pandemic.  It is crazy the amount of complaining about having to clean and make beds by some of the stewards, that is the job they signed up to do!

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

It is crazy the amount of complaining about having to clean and make beds by some of the stewards, that is the job they signed up to do!

That's exactly what I thought. Some kids now a days don't know  what it is like to really work hard. If I was 25 again, I would do it in a heartbeat. The fact that they are getting $1100-$2000 in tips for 3 days is mind blowing. I would not mind scrubbing the deck in the Caribbean for that kind of money.

• Like 1

That's exactly what I thought. Some kids now a days don't know  what it is like to really work hard. If I was 25 again, I would do it in a heartbeat. The fact that they are getting $1100-$2000 in tips for 3 days is mind blowing. I would not mind scrubbing the deck in the Caribbean for that kind of money.

I read that room stewards on average earn $900 per month including gratuities.

Waiters earn around $1800 per month while bartenders earn $2800 per month, which can go up to even $4000/ month in the main season, due to a lot of tipping on booze Cruises

I have to admit I enjoy Below Deck a d Below Deck Med.  I tell my husband it is one hour of mindless entertainment.  Some of the Housewives have also been getting me through this Pandemic.  Not having to think about life in the real world for awhile is so nice. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Some of the love boat plots are tough to watch these days, but I’ll never get tired of the opening theme song, the shots of the ship, pier, loading, etc. The guests walking on the ship and being told their cabin number (is that really how it worked?)... it’s all so fun. 

It still happens on smaller ships! 

I've taken 2 different expedition cruises and i have gotten told where my cabin is when I am on the ship- and who my roommates are! They are so different than big cruise ships although i like both. 

I enjoyed watching High Seas and watched both Seasons a while ago.  I either didn't realize there will be a Season 3, or I forgot about it.  Thanks for the reminder!

Totally on another subject, my DH and I binged on and enjoyed TURN, Washington's Spies, on Netflix about the American Revolution.   Mostly accurate.  Exellent!