Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
geckoaz

Masks will be requred in ports

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

St. Maarten is now requiring all visitors wear masks and have a negative test 72 hours prior to their day of travel. US visitors not allowed until  august 1 at earliest) so where do you get a test showing results 72 hours before sailing? People wait in cars all days for test in phoenix and wait days and weeks for results. Carnival won't beonly ones we will have to adapt too. By the way disneyworld has comfort areas that are mask free with distancing. Some are indoors too. Will carnival do this? 

Edited by geckoaz
Clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, either the cruiselines will have to offer on-board quickturn testing, or cruiselines will simply not visit St Maarten until the requirement is relaxed.

 

There are airports offering the quickturn COVID-19 active infection tests - 3 to 4 hours turn around.  So it is possible.  Feasible?  Dunno.  Likely?  Really dunno.

 

Right now, as a US resident I cannot travel to Europe, unless I am on military orders, basically.  Until that changes, my team and I stay put in FL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

St. Maarten is now requiring all visitors wear masks and have a negative test 72 hours prior to their day of travel. US visitors not allowed until  august 1 at earliest) so where do you get a test showing results 72 hours before sailing? People wait in cars all days for test in phoenix and wait days and weeks for results. Carnival won't beonly ones we will have to adapt too. By the way disneyworld has comfort areas that are mask free with distancing. Some are indoors too. Will carnival do this? 

Those rules in St. Maarten are for air arrivals only.
Cruise ships are not going to get anywhere near a port that requires air arrivals to wear a mask and have a covid test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In AZ it is taking 10+ days for the test results, but they are also running a new saliva test with results in a few hours less.  This is the new normal. There will be tests everywhere. Some companies are now starting to run tests on all employees.  But that would really suck, packing for a cruise, and then you can't go because you fail the test. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There won't be cruises to St. Maarten or anywhere else if conditions are anything like they are now, creating the long waits for results. Put another way, if things have improved enough to allow cruises, St. Maarten will no longer be requiring Covid tests within 72 hours and wait times for Covid tests results will be much shorter anyway.

 

Until the many hurdles such as this are surmounted, we won't be cruising again. It's not as if Carnival would sail to St. Maarten if they knew no one was going to be able to get off when they get there. So it's not really something you need to worry about. It's something Carnival needs to worry about.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carnival doesn't even have an St. Maarten cruises until 2021. And I think some of those were canceled. I know mine was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The article in cruiseradio and the link to the release both indicate "additional"  airport requirements. As far as itineraries they are always subject to change. I think the islands will all require masks. Glad i picked up a box of 50 at costco for 19.99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

October is still almost 3 months away. The Covid test requirement may still be in effect, or maybe not. Who knows. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's more trouble than it's worth to plan any type of airline travel at this time for me.  Hopefully, things will be much better in a few months.  Only time will tell.  Testing is a lot easier to get now.  Where I live, anyone can get tested.  I don't know how long it takes to get the results though since I haven't been tested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ano said:

In AZ it is taking 10+ days for the test results, but they are also running a new saliva test with results in a few hours less.  This is the new normal. There will be tests everywhere. Some companies are now starting to run tests on all employees.  But that would really suck, packing for a cruise, and then you can't go because you fail the test. 

Well if you fail the test you SHOULD STAY HOME!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Cruise ships are not going to get anywhere near a port that requires air arrivals to wear a mask and have a covid test.

 

Those will both be required whenever Hawaii accepts visitors again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, geckoaz said:

By the way disneyworld has comfort areas that are mask free with distancing. Some are indoors too. Will carnival do this? 

 

That is crazy and irresponsible given the location and kind of crowd they attract and where they will return, sad to see that attitude.   Sure wouldn't be happening at Disney properties in Japan, HK, Shanghia or Paris. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, geckoaz said:

St. Maarten is now requiring all visitors wear masks and have a negative test 72 hours prior to their day of travel. US visitors not allowed until  august 1 at earliest) so where do you get a test showing results 72 hours before sailing? People wait in cars all days for test in phoenix and wait days and weeks for results. Carnival won't beonly ones we will have to adapt too. By the way disneyworld has comfort areas that are mask free with distancing. Some are indoors too. Will carnival do this? 

 

Based on what you are saying about testing, it sounds like testing sites are lacking and that the process is not managed well.   I  would be screaming bloody murder at elected officials for dropping the ball on testing facilities.  Sounds like they dropped the ball on a lot of other things too.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ldubs said:

 

Based on what you are saying about testing, it sounds like testing sites are lacking and that the process is not managed well.   I  would be screaming bloody murder at elected officials for dropping the ball on testing facilities.  Sounds like they dropped the ball on a lot of other things too.      

It's so odd. Here in Reno we got an appointment for the following day and test results in 48 hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After some false starts, we now have drive in centres, no appointments needed, and results in 24 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ober134 said:

Well if you fail the test you SHOULD STAY HOME!!

Even if the tests are extremely inaccurate? Many tests are coming back positive just being exposed to the air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

Even if the tests are extremely inaccurate? Many tests are coming back positive just being exposed to the air. 


yes, because there’s no way to know if the positive was false or not. What if it was an accurate positive? Don’t take the test if you can’t live with the results

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, sanger727 said:


yes, because there’s no way to know if the positive was false or not. What if it was an accurate positive? Don’t take the test if you can’t live with the results

And there is no way of knowing the negatives are false as well. And there is no definition of what test has to be taken and which ones accepted. Many doctors will give a Negative note because you don't experience any systems. You can do this with online doctors from India and other countries. Do you have a fever? No. Does your chest hurt? No. Do you have difficulty breathing? No. OK, no reason for a test. I will give you a CV19 note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Even if the tests are extremely inaccurate? Many tests are coming back positive just being exposed to the air. 

Can you quote a good source on this? As Covid tests are either blood or nasal swabs based, how can a test go positive on air? No test for covid tests air. I have found no evidence of the "air tests positive" study...it sounds like fake news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Many tests are coming back positive just being exposed to the air. 

 

Please stop quoting rubbish without providing some kind of source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, clo said:

It's so odd. Here in Reno we got an appointment for the following day and test results in 48 hours. 

Just curious - if your test came back negative, how long will you wait before you get tested again.   It seems to me that efforts to test everyone - perhaps continually - is what is overwhelming testing capacity.   My own physician advises that of course I should get tested if I have symptoms or have been in contact with someone likely to carry COVID.    Otherwise, what is the point of getting the test ? - it only gives you a current snapshot - and if it is appropriate to get it today, why wouldn’t you want to get it every day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

And there is no way of knowing the negatives are false as well. And there is no definition of what test has to be taken and which ones accepted. Many doctors will give a Negative note because you don't experience any systems. You can do this with online doctors from India and other countries. Do you have a fever? No. Does your chest hurt? No. Do you have difficulty breathing? No. OK, no reason for a test. I will give you a CV19 note.


I have no idea what a ‘negative note’ is supposed to be or what you would ever do with it. Here at least, legally, if you take a COVID test and are positive you HAVE to self isolate. If you have a problem doing that, I would not take the test. If you are going to disregard a positive or negative result as an ‘inaccurate’ test, I have no idea why would you bother getting it in the first place. Taking a COVID test, getting a positive result, and ignoring it, is the most selfish, socially irresponsible thing you could do.

Edited by sanger727

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are still places with limited testing kits. If you don't have all 10 symptoms, they will not give you the test and declare you negative. People need to get off this high horse that testing is 100% accurate. It is not. But, the media and government don't want that all over the place.

 

So, if they are going to require a negative test, they will have to declare which tests and doctor's notes that they will accept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

There are still places with limited testing kits. If you don't have all 10 symptoms, they will not give you the test and declare you negative. People need to get off this high horse that testing is 100% accurate. It is not. But, the media and government don't want that all over the place.

 

So, if they are going to require a negative test, they will have to declare which tests and doctor's notes that they will accept.

 

I"m still trying to figure out where you are getting the idea that anyone will accept a doctor's note that are are negative. Every article I've ready about traveling requiring a negative test requires just that, a test. A negative doctor's note is meaningless at best and irresponsible at worst. A negative test isn't even 100% that you are covid free. We had someone at work who had close contact with someone who was covid positive, which should mean that you quarantine for 14 days. She was told by a supervisor to get a covid test immediately, which she did. It came back negative so she returned to work. Well, five days later she comes down with symptoms and gets re-tested and is positive. So she spent 5 days exposing everyone at work to it and we know of at least one person who is sick with it now. Our health department sent out an e-mail to the supervisors that if you have an exposure, you must quarantine for 14 days regardless of a positive or negative test; the whole point of the quarantine is that it could take that long to realize you are sick/have enough viral load to test positive. 

 

I don't think anyone is on a "high horse" that the test is 100% accurate.  Clearly it's not. I do believe from everything I've read and heard that a false negative is much more likely than a false positive though. The test tests for virus particles and while you can have it and still have a swab that catches insufficient virus particles to come back positive, it's not making up virus particles by seeing them when they aren't there. But for the safety of everyone, the responsible thing is to err on the side of safety.  If you get a positive test, isolate. If you have an exposure, quarantine. I don't believe any doctor anywhere would see you get a positive result and then write you a "negative note" or advise you to ignore the results due to "inaccuracy of the test". If they would they should have their license revoked immediately. The  girl at work certainly had no symptoms for several days and could have gotten a "negative note" under your theory. She even got a negative test.  That didn't stop her from having the virus and spreading it to people at work. Stop choosing to believe only what you want to believe and believe what doctors and experts tell us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...