Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ontheweb

A promising vaccine on the horizon? Even Dr. Fauci is encouraged by the results so far

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

How do you define normal life ?

Stress free, financially secured and having an upcoming cruise or two to look forward to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who will get it first, any predictions

 

 

A5C64B14-EB1F-4885-8595-E813661DC4F0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

So who will get it first, any predictions

Truly, I have no idea - just hoping that a viable vaccine is available in the future.  If I had to wager, I would tend to favor Oxford University.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chipmaster said:

So who will get it first, any predictions

 

Who cares?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've volunteered for the phase III trial in my area, which should be...fun? It all sounds pretty promising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've volunteered for the phase III trial in my area, which should be...fun? It all sounds pretty promising.
Well that is awesome, good for you. We or at least I hope everything goes smoothly and this vaccine works along with others.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, clo said:

Who cares?

Anyone who owns stock in any of the companies involved would care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, squick64 said:

I've volunteered for the phase III trial in my area, which should be...fun? It all sounds pretty promising.

 

Thank you.

And thank you to ALL the people in all countries who have volunteered to take part in vaccine trials - not just for this one, but for all types of vaccines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Anyone who owns stock in any of the companies involved would care.

We don't own individual stocks so one thing we  don't have to worry about. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't own any stock either, I'm just some guy from Jersey. I'm a blue collar working stuff from Jersey. I suppose my pension and 401k owns stock but I have no idea which ones.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clo said:

We don't own individual stocks so one thing we  don't have to worry about. 🙂 

Hopefully you are aware of the individual stocks which your funds hold for you - and that you have selected funds whose goals and investment philosophy match yours.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Hopefully you are aware

Definitely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clo said:

We don't own individual stocks so one thing we  don't have to worry about. 🙂 

I was answering your question to to who cares. Your question was not why you should specifically care.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 9:53 AM, njhorseman said:

Your statement "If the vaccine is only 50% effective, then it is worthless, as that is well below the level of herd immunity." is nonsensical. Even at 50% effectiveness a vaccine can save thousands of lives.

 

True, but it does not significantly reduce the rate of infection in the population.

 

And worse, unless you are tested for antibody titer, you have no idea if you are in the protected group or not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 11:15 PM, clo said:

Who cares?

 

The market money makers care, if they pick the right company and buy their stock, they'll increase their wealth exponentially.

 

Call it a crapshoot, and watch out for the hustlers and 3 card monte dealers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the US gets it first the Administration won't get any credit for advancing it.  Political opponents will argue that 1) it was rushed e.g., Operation Warp Speed, 2) the wrong one was chosen, and 3) you'll risk your health by taking it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If the US gets it first the Administration won't get any credit for advancing it.  Political opponents will argue that 1) it was rushed e.g., Operation Warp Speed, 2) the wrong one was chosen, and 3) you'll risk your health by taking it.
Well there is a whole lot of reason they won't get any credit that I will not going into here.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SRF said:

 

True, but it does not significantly reduce the rate of infection in the population.

 

And worse, unless you are tested for antibody titer, you have no idea if you are in the protected group or not.

 

Absurd — if it is 50% effective half of the population who take it will be immune and will not spread the disease.  If half of the total population gets it and it prevents half of them from spreading the disease there will be a 25% reduction in carriers capable of infecting others.

 

 And, if there is just a .1% fatality rate,  that 25% of the population (say 320,000,000) who got protection would show 80,000 lives saved.

 

You ought to think before writing something off as not being significant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read that a piece that said "shut it down, start over, do it right."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, clo said:

I just read that a piece that said "shut it down, start over, do it right."

Are you referring to cruises or the research for a vaccine? I think from reading previous comments by you that you mean the former, but this thread is about the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The company that says they will have doses available in September have been given the go-ahead to make doses in anticipation that their vaccine will have efficacy when it is actually finished, not to push out in September.  Everyone has an issue with getting their hands on enough of the required sterile glassware to create doses.  It's not going to be a case of "it works, come and get it."  I believe the US Government was caught by Germany trying to buy "options" on the first batches of one of the European companies' product.  

 

Personally, I think the vaccine availability, when releases, is going to be on another "pay to play" basis.  It may start out altruistic and allow doctors and nurses, respiratory therapists, etc. first access.  After that, it will be the A-listers, pro sports players, those who "know" the right people to get the vaccine right away.  For the rest of us, it will be just like testing - "if you need one, you can get one".  We know that's not true, and the wait times for results are past worth - up to 14 days!!!  Meanwhile, some in the high stratosphere of the Federal government and the NBA, NFL, and MLB athletes are getting daily tests with results back the same day.    We're going to be waiting months and months and probably paying a hefty price for the vaccine.  Those who can't afford will have to pray for herd immunity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

The company that says they will have doses available in September have been given the go-ahead to make doses in anticipation that their vaccine will have efficacy when it is actually finished, not to push out in September.  Everyone has an issue with getting their hands on enough of the required sterile glassware to create doses.  It's not going to be a case of "it works, come and get it."  I believe the US Government was caught by Germany trying to buy "options" on the first batches of one of the European companies' product.  

 

Personally, I think the vaccine availability, when releases, is going to be on another "pay to play" basis.  It may start out altruistic and allow doctors and nurses, respiratory therapists, etc. first access.  After that, it will be the A-listers, pro sports players, those who "know" the right people to get the vaccine right away.  For the rest of us, it will be just like testing - "if you need one, you can get one".  We know that's not true, and the wait times for results are past worth - up to 14 days!!!  Meanwhile, some in the high stratosphere of the Federal government and the NBA, NFL, and MLB athletes are getting daily tests with results back the same day.    We're going to be waiting months and months and probably paying a hefty price for the vaccine.  Those who can't afford will have to pray for herd immunity. 

If you have the money and are willing to pay you will be able to get the vaccine .You do not have to be a pro sports player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you have the money and are willing to pay you will be able to get the vaccine .You do not have to be a pro sports player.

Lenny- the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine which is in trials, is already producing up to 2 billion doses just in case it is efficient, so that people can be vaccinated as soon as possible.

The UK government has announced that the first people to have this are front-line workers; people with underlying conditions, and everyone aged 50 years and over.

There has been no mention of any payment for this.

Also the government has asked everyone to also have the flu jab this autumn so that there is no mistaking the symptoms of one for the other.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...