A promising vaccine on the horizon? Even Dr. Fauci is encouraged by the results so far

ontheweb

20 minutes ago, jocap said:

Lenny- the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine which is in trials, is already producing up to 2 billion doses just in case it is efficient, so that people can be vaccinated as soon as possible.

The UK government has announced that the first people to have this are front-line workers; people with underlying conditions, and everyone aged 50 years and over.

There has been no mention of any payment for this.

Also the government has asked everyone to also have the flu jab this autumn so that there is no mistaking the symptoms of one for the other.  

That is the way it should be everywhere.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jocap said:

Also the government has asked everyone to also have the flu jab this autumn so that there is no mistaking the symptoms of one for the other.  

Excellent point. Thanks

Lenny- the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine which is in trials, is already producing up to 2 billion doses just in case it is efficient, so that people can be vaccinated as soon as possible.
The UK government has announced that the first people to have this are front-line workers; people with underlying conditions, and everyone aged 50 years and over.
I bet I'll be able to a vaccine shot pretty quickly here in America as well. Right after front line workers. I'm not worried about it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, jocap said:

You live in the UK, where you have the NHS.  Those of use who live in the USA, we have nothing like that and have to pay (or hope your insurance will pay).   The US is horrendous for drug/vaccine prices.  That's why you see some threads here on CC where cruisers will ask for the best places to buy pharmaceuticals in Mexico, Canada, Caymans, etc...

20 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

I bet I'll be able to a vaccine shot pretty quickly here in America as well. Right after front line workers. I'm not worried about it.

Just how much money do you have?  or Just who do you know???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jocap said:

The US government has not asked everyone to get a flu shot in the autumn. And even if they did, many, many would not. If you cannot even get people to wear a mask in a grocery store that covers both their mouth and their nose, how are you ever going to get them to get a flu shot?

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The US government has not asked everyone to get a flu shot in the autumn. And even if they did, many, many would not. If you cannot even get people to wear a mask in a grocery store that covers both their mouth and their nose, how are you ever going to get them to get a flu shot?

Or a quickly brought to market COVID-19 shot. Especially since it’s the same people who think it’s a hoax. 

Just how much money do you have?  or Just who do you know???
I ain't got 2 nickels to rub together and I know no one. There is going to be millions of vaccine shots right off the bat on this one. I bet within 6 months I will be able to get it or sooner actually I woukd say.
I'm just a dumb truck driver that takes a cruise every year with a few extra sheckles I scrap together. I do get 4 weeks vacation though so that's nice.

I will never go without the flu shot again. I had the flu in March 2019 that knocked me on my butt. I miss 6 days of work and it was just awful. It turned to bronchitis after that. It was miserable and I vowed never to go without the flu shot. I figure it's worth a shot and if it knocks the effects down by half I'm still good with that.
Man that was the worst I every got the flu. It kicked my butt. Our son who was 5 at the time got it first and recovered fairly quickly and then my wife and I got it. And got it bad.

59 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

You live in the UK, where you have the NHS.  Those of use who live in the USA, we have nothing like that and have to pay (or hope your insurance will pay).   The US is horrendous for drug/vaccine prices.  That's why you see some threads here on CC where cruisers will ask for the best places to buy pharmaceuticals in Mexico, Canada, Caymans, etc...

The polio vaccine was administered free of charge in the USA when it became available to the general population.  That was how we were able to eradicate the disease.  The COVID-19 vaccine will have to be widely available and affordable for it to be effective.  I can't imagine an insurance co. not paying for it or having a high co-pay.  

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I use an OTC medication that is not available in the US.Whenever we are in Canada I will go to every pharmacy and buy as much as I can carry.

33 minutes ago, Roz said:

The polio vaccine was administered free of charge in the USA when it became available to the general population.  That was how we were able to eradicate the disease.  The COVID-19 vaccine will have to be widely available and affordable for it to be effective.  I can't imagine an insurance co. not paying for it or having a high co-pay.  

That was back in the good ole' altruistic days.   I do remember having to go to the doctor for smallpox, measles, mumps, whooping cough shots - I don't think they were free.  

I'm afraid everyone is going to try to make a buck on this.  For some low-income people who have no insurance, even $20 for the vaccine is going to be too much.  

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

I ain't got 2 nickels to rub together and I know no one. There is going to be millions of vaccine shots right off the bat on this one. I bet within 6 months I will be able to get it or sooner actually I woukd say.
I'm just a dumb truck driver that takes a cruise every year with a few extra sheckles I scrap together. I do get 4 weeks vacation though so that's nice.

Don’t put yourself down. There is nothing wrong with being a truck driver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t put yourself down. There is nothing wrong with being a truck driver.
I was only joking but you're right.I make actually decent money driving a truck. We don't just drive trucks, we do manual labor, sort of construction, landscaping work, fixing things, pipe jobs, cleaning areas, jack of all trades kind of place. Snow plow in the winter too.
As long as I make enough to get a balcony every year on a Royal Caribbean ship I'm good. A bit clousterphobic so no insider cabins for me.

14 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

I was only joking but you're right.I make actually decent money driving a truck. We don't just drive trucks, we do manual labor, sort of construction, landscaping work, fixing things, pipe jobs, cleaning areas, jack of all trades kind of place. Snow plow in the winter too.
As long as I make enough to get a balcony every year on a Royal Caribbean ship I'm good. A bit clousterphobic so no insider cabins for me.

That is great

Vaccine promises are quite optimistic for stock traders and corporate owners:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/25/business/coronavirus-vaccine-profits-vaxart.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/23/jim-cramer-breaks-down-stocks-in-the-race-for-a-coronavirus-vaccine.html

Company execs sell their stock before trials even begin, make tons of bucks, and then couldn't care if the vaccine can't pass muster or if the company sinks.

It's all about them making money, not about making an effective vaccine.

Edited by evandbob

47 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

That was back in the good ole' altruistic days.   I do remember having to go to the doctor for smallpox, measles, mumps, whooping cough shots - I don't think they were free.  

I'm afraid everyone is going to try to make a buck on this.  For some low-income people who have no insurance, even $20 for the vaccine is going to be too much.  

I don't know if it was altruism.  There was a polio epidemic and it was a public health issue.  If only those who can afford to pay out of pocket or those with Cadillac health plans get the Covid vaccine, it's not going to work.  

Don't know if it's like this everywhere in the US, but where I live you can go to the Co. Health Dept. for smallpox, measles, mumps, whooping cough shots, etc. and they charge you on a sliding scale based on income.  That's how a lot of babies and children in low income families and those without insurance get their vaccinations.  

2 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

I'm just a dumb truck driver

I've never met a DUMB truck driver. When I'm with one I always have a million questions 🙂 And you would likely be considered "essential."

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Vaccine promises are quite optimistic for stock traders and corporate owners:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/25/business/coronavirus-vaccine-profits-vaxart.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/23/jim-cramer-breaks-down-stocks-in-the-race-for-a-coronavirus-vaccine.html

Company execs sell their stock before trials even begin, make tons of bucks, and then couldn't care if the vaccine can't pass muster or if the company sinks.

It's all about them making money, not about making an effective vaccine.

You can bet they smell bucks, they are operating at WARP speed and when you do corners are cut, details missed, and money to be made off suckers.. sadly it is humanity who pays.   Few in Goverment today are balancing the difficult act of abundance of caution on the unknown versus the economic, health and political mess that is driving the vaccine agenda.

I've never met a DUMB truck driver. When I'm with one I always have a million questions [emoji846] And you would likely be considered "essential."
Thank you, I didn't mean to offend. More of a stereotype joke but I guess wasn't too funny. [emoji1787] Yeah we are considered essential, we worked right through the pandemic. They give us time off to watch our kids if needed which was nice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I use an OTC medication that is not available in the US.Whenever we are in Canada I will go to every pharmacy and buy as much as I can carry.

So what do you do now that even if you could travel, Canada has shut its borders to the USA?

14 hours ago, chipmaster said:

You can bet they smell bucks, they are operating at WARP speed and when you do corners are cut, details missed, and money to be made off suckers.. sadly it is humanity who pays.   Few in Goverment today are balancing the difficult act of abundance of caution on the unknown versus the economic, health and political mess that is driving the vaccine agenda.

Many opinions on CC but very light on presenting actual facts.

My personal opinion, with some but limited facts directly from the University of Oxford website, is that they are proceeding quickly but safely.

Their website is at: https://covid19vaccinetrial.co.uk/home

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 9:00 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Absurd — if it is 50% effective half of the population who take it will be immune and will not spread the disease.  If half of the total population gets it and it prevents half of them from spreading the disease there will be a 25% reduction in carriers capable of infecting others.

And, if there is just a .1% fatality rate,  that 25% of the population (say 320,000,000) who got protection would show 80,000 lives saved.

You ought to think before writing something off as not being significant.

The point is, 50% of the people who take it, will not provide herd immunity.  So you will still have to take precautions to avoid infection.

And, unless you get tested, even if you have had the vaccine, it is 50/50 that you have immunity.  So you still have to take precautions, as you might not be immune.

I just watched a doctor on YouTube talk about "herd immunity" and it's a bit complicated because this virus is so new.

He said herd immunity is 70% or more infected and developed antibodies. The problems this time is obviously it's new and they are not sure if these antibodies last or how long they last at all. They are seeing unfortunately antibodies disappear in 8-9 weeks which he says is unusual. That may in the end not be there case but right now that is what they are seeing.

The vaccine is interesting. Oxford is the one I most have followed and they seem to be doing great, great work. I trust them that they will not endanger anyone with their vaccine. I would think with the vaccine it would be the same as the herd immunity, 70% or more would need to achieve the immunity we need.

As I have said I will get it when it becomes available to the masses. I'm not worried about it.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

So what do you do now that even if you could travel, Canada has shut its borders to the USA?

The step-daughter of my friend who died from Covid  lives in Canada.If and when I need more I can ask her to get some for me and when things calm down and she and family come to NY I will get it.